Critical Contest Safety Procedures Checklist

Old April 11th 11, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default Critical Contest Safety Procedures Checklist

A new document entitled "Critical Contest Safety Procedures Checklist"
has been posted on the SSA rules page. We hope contest organizers and
participants find this a helpful guide to key safety considerations.
Thanks to BB for his efforts.

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Cont...0Checklist.pdf

For the Committee,
John Godfrey (QT)
SSA Rules Committee
Old April 12th 11, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karen

On Apr 11, 2:22*pm, "John Godfrey (QT)"
wrote:
A new document entitled "Critical Contest Safety Procedures Checklist"
has been posted on the SSA rules page. We hope contest organizers and
participants find this a helpful guide to key safety considerations.
Thanks to BB for his efforts.

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Cont...0Checklist.pdf

For the Committee,
John Godfrey (QT)
SSA Rules Committee

Do the procedures for contests also include tow pilots NOT cutting off
gliders in the pattern for landing when sharing the same runway? i.e.,
(both same alt, patten tows)

Michael
Old April 12th 11, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:

A new document entitled "Critical Contest Safety Procedures Checklist"
has been posted on the SSA rules page. We hope contest organizers and
participants find this a helpful guide to key safety considerations.
Thanks to BB for his efforts.

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Cont...0Checklist.pdf

For the Committee,
John Godfrey (QT)
SSA Rules Committee

Do the procedures for contests also include tow pilots NOT cutting off
gliders in the pattern for landing when sharing the same runway? i.e.,
(both same alt, patten tows)

Michael

Sounds like you have a story to tell.
UH
Old April 12th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Sounds like you have a story to tell.
UH- Hide quoted text -

When I read about spoilers open on tow or conflicts in the pattern, I
can't believe some are still operating without radios in this day and
age. The SSA has urged us to all use radios, but they can't mandate
it. The RC can and should, for contests. Why don't the rules make a
simple com-check as the rope is hooked up,mandatory? Why don't the
rules state that all will report turning down-wind to runway XX?
Region 11 has lost 4 good pilots in the last 10 years, all due to
lack of radio communications. Enough of these preventable accidents!
JJ

Old April 12th 11, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karen

wrote:

A new document entitled "Critical Contest Safety Procedures Checklist"
has been posted on the SSA rules page. We hope contest organizers and
participants find this a helpful guide to key safety considerations.
Thanks to BB for his efforts.

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Cont...0Checklist.pdf

For the Committee,
John Godfrey (QT)
SSA Rules Committee

Do the procedures for contests also include tow pilots NOT cutting off
gliders in the pattern for landing when sharing the same runway? i.e.,
(both same alt, patten tows)

Michael

Sounds like you have a story to tell.
UH- Hide quoted text -

At two different contests, I was alarmed (and the participants seemed
not to be) to be passed omn the right or left by thier own towplane,
less than two wingspans separation, just after release, racing to the
runway to save seconds and maybe less than a gallon of gas. Even on
practice days, when time was not necessarily so of the esesence.

Been asked to support a contest this year with two towplanes, but not
up on all rules and procedures, sharing the field with 4 other tug
providers and a mandate to get 200 gliders in the air in 90 minutes.
On the other hand, I have seen other national and regional
competitions run so professional and smooth with simple understandings
and a seperate piece of grass for the towplanes. Michael
Old April 12th 11, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:

[...]

and a seperate piece of grass for the towplanes. *Michael- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like the examples you describe would dictate a talk with the
chief tow pilot who is responsible for
ops procedures related to towing.
I would be interested in where the operation was that had tow pilots
not leaving the release area and descending after
release.
To correct one statement above- we have no contests in the US, other
than the upcoming 2012 WGC that have more than 65 entries.
UH

Old April 13th 11, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MickiMinner

A new document entitled "Critical Contest Safety Procedures Checklist"
has been posted on the SSA rules page. We hope contest organizers and
participants find this a helpful guide to key safety considerations.
Thanks to BB for his efforts.

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Cont...0Checklist.pdf

For the Committee,
John Godfrey (QT)
SSA Rules Committee

Thank you

John and John....both of you are the BEST! I will certainly introduce
and give my pilots this new checklist this summer. I can't thank you
two for all you do. The sport is so much safer because of work like
this. thank you.
Charlie"Lite" and Micki
Old April 13th 11, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On Apr 12, 8:06*pm, MickiMinner wrote:
A new document entitled "Critical Contest Safety Procedures Checklist"
has been posted on the SSA rules page. We hope contest organizers and
participants find this a helpful guide to key safety considerations.
Thanks to BB for his efforts.

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Cont...0Checklist.pdf

For the Committee,
John Godfrey (QT)
SSA Rules Committee

Thank you

John and John....both of you are the BEST! *I will certainly introduce
and give my pilots this new checklist this summer. *I can't thank you
two for all you do. *The sport is so much safer because of work like
this. *thank you.
Charlie"Lite" and Micki

How could a tow plane pass the glider it just released unless the
glider was in the lead at release? And wouldn't that be scary?

I have towed literally hundreds of pattern tows in the past year and,
except for rare circumstances, I fly a tighter pattern than the
glider. The glider usually releases at mid-field downwind and turns
slightly away to the right to achieve his desired ground track. I
continue to accelerate to pattern speed, begin my 180 degree
descending base turn when abeam the numbers (or sooner or later
depending on winds), land long, clear the runway, execute a 180, stop,
and watch the glider on short final some 1,500 feet away. I see no
reason to delay the next takeoff waiting for the glider to complete a
pattern and land before I do. Of course I wait for the landing glider
to stop before taxiing forward to hook up the next glider.

If there is another aircraft in the pattern necessitating me to extend
my pattern, I'll break out and allow the glider I just released to
land first.

It's all about planning and judgment...
Old April 13th 11, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Great document. Thanks.

Concerning "Spratt guidelines of 2500’ AGL to launch, 3300’ AGL to
start, should be followed unless there is a good reason."

This is ambiguous as to what is being referenced for the AGL height.
Cloudbase? Critical updraft height? BL height? Sniffer max height?
Beer fumes from the bacchanalia the night before? ;-)

Thanks.