Recording your flight time

Old December 21st 03, 02:47 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Recording your flight time

With built-in flight timers becoming the norm in virtually all new avionics
(heck, even the new transponder I'm getting has one), just wondering if
folks are migrating away from using hobbs/tach time to record their flight
time?

And if you *are* using the flight timer, have you stopped using the old
archaic "1.3 hours" method of recording flight time? Anyone using actual
hours and minutes in their logbook instead?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 21st 03, 03:50 PM
Richard Ross

I have been using my handheld GPS to both record the flight time and record
my flight track. For every logbook entry, I have an actual track of the
flight downloaded to my computer using Track Maker. I use the time recorded
when I start to taxi for take off and when I taxi to park after landing.

Richard

Old December 21st 03, 03:59 PM
Edwin Johnson

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:47:31 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:
With built-in flight timers becoming the norm in virtually all new avionics
(heck, even the new transponder I'm getting has one), just wondering if
folks are migrating away from using hobbs/tach time to record their flight
time?

And if you *are* using the flight timer, have you stopped using the old
archaic "1.3 hours" method of recording flight time? Anyone using actual

^^^^^^^

(With a smile) If you look in older logbooks (engine, airframe, or pilots),
all time was logged with actual hours:minutes. Of course they didn't have
electric Hobbs meters and most of the tachs had no time recording, simply
the rpm.

Believe most of the tachs are accurate for time only around cruise rpm
(surely there is some standard for this) so not completely accurate for time
recording except for engine time.

So 'archaic' may not be quite the correct term since _it_ is the newcomer.

Either way would, of course be permissible, but remember that adding any
long list of hours/minutes, you will have to convert min on the total to get
the total hours:min time.

Incidentally, my Maule doesn't have a tach, so I use the ole' watch and
change into unit.decimal for the logbooks. (Easier adding! heehee)

Isn't it nice to have a lazy Sunday where you don't think about anything
more important than this? haahaa

Hope all have happy holidays.

....Edwin

~ Edwin Johnson ....... ~
~
http://www.shreve.net/~elj ~
~ ~
~ "Once you have flown, you will walk the ~
~ earth with your eyes turned skyward, ~
~ for there you have been, there you long ~
~ to return." -- da Vinci ~

Old December 21st 03, 04:07 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
With built-in flight timers becoming the norm in virtually all new

avionics
(heck, even the new transponder I'm getting has one), just wondering if
folks are migrating away from using hobbs/tach time to record their flight
time?

The "time in motion" timer in my GPS is a godsend for going back and
determining
how long you flew (of course, we have to guess as to how much of the time
was
me and how much was Margy still).

Old December 21st 03, 04:13 PM
Ron Natalie

"Edwin Johnson" wrote in message

Either way would, of course be permissible, but remember that adding any
long list of hours/minutes, you will have to convert min on the total to

get
the total hours:min time.

Yep, the FAA (at least for most planes) doesn't mandate any scheme for
measuring
service times. All they ask is that you be consistant.

Old December 21st 03, 04:26 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
With built-in flight timers becoming the norm in virtually all new

avionics
(heck, even the new transponder I'm getting has one), just wondering if
folks are migrating away from using hobbs/tach time to record their flight
time?

And if you *are* using the flight timer, have you stopped using the old
archaic "1.3 hours" method of recording flight time? Anyone using actual
hours and minutes in their logbook instead?

The two planes I fly _IN_ (I'm never PIC, but I do ride right seat) do not
have Hobbs meters. They do, however, have three sets of digital chrono's
(ADF, Clock, Transponder).

At what point can one start recording _Flight Time_? Engine start? First
master switch?

Tom

Old December 21st 03, 04:45 PM
H. Adam Stevens

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
With built-in flight timers becoming the norm in virtually all new

avionics
(heck, even the new transponder I'm getting has one), just wondering if
folks are migrating away from using hobbs/tach time to record their

flight
time?

And if you *are* using the flight timer, have you stopped using the old
archaic "1.3 hours" method of recording flight time? Anyone using

actual
hours and minutes in their logbook instead?

The two planes I fly _IN_ (I'm never PIC, but I do ride right seat) do not
have Hobbs meters. They do, however, have three sets of digital chrono's
(ADF, Clock, Transponder).

At what point can one start recording _Flight Time_? Engine start? First
master switch?

Tom

I log time from when the airplane starts moving to the time it stops moving;
So called "block-to-block" time; Using my watch; In hours and tenths.
H.

H. Adam Stevens
CP AS&MEL IA
ex N2196B, ex N739CD, ex N502TB
What next? An RV8 perhaps?

Old December 21st 03, 05:27 PM
BTIZ

I have always used either my watch (no hobbs) or if equipped .. the hobbs...
one should only apply the 1.3factor to straight tach time.

BT

Old December 21st 03, 05:32 PM
Bob Noel

In article 7oiFb.618964$Fm2.558042@attbi_s04, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

With built-in flight timers becoming the norm in virtually all new
avionics
(heck, even the new transponder I'm getting has one), just wondering if
folks are migrating away from using hobbs/tach time to record their
flight
time?

And if you *are* using the flight timer, have you stopped using the old
archaic "1.3 hours" method of recording flight time? Anyone using actual
hours and minutes in their logbook instead?

I record engine start to engine stop (excluding the taxi time
rom the pump back to my hangar).

--
Bob Noel
Old December 21st 03, 06:09 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:00:59 -0800, A Lieberman
wrote:

I could'nt find anything in the FARS for "when" to start counting, but I
am under the impression from my experiences, that anytime the prop is
turning is the time you count.

You didn't look at the beginning:

14CFR Part 1

Sec 1.1

Flight time means:
(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own
power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest
after landing; or
(2) For a glider without self-launch capability, pilot time that
commences when the glider is towed for the purpose of flight and ends when
the glider comes to rest after landing.