Recording your flight time

Old December 21st 03, 06:52 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:7oiFb.618964$Fm2.558042@attbi_s04...
With built-in flight timers becoming the norm in virtually all new avionics
(heck, even the new transponder I'm getting has one), just wondering if
folks are migrating away from using hobbs/tach time to record their flight
time?

I can't think of any reason to stop using the hobbs. I don't have to
leave the avionics on after the flight to check the GPS time, the
hobbs is always right there as I'm closing the door. I also use my
hobbs to track the time I've spend on each tank (even though I have an
EDM fuel flow computer). The hobbs seems like a perfect, simple
device.
Old December 21st 03, 06:53 PM
Teacherjh

14CFR Part 1

Sec 1.1

Flight time means:
(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own
power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest
after landing; or

Ok, so I'm at Dulles. I start up, release the brakes, and start the timer.
Start taxiing (it takes forever at Dulles), do my runup, am sixteenth behind a
row of jumbos, have to hold a while for IFR release, andforty minutes later the
tower tells me position and hold. (not too far off for some flights!).
Cleared for takeoff, I accelerate to flying speed, but something isn't right,
so I abort the takeoff and taxi back to the ramp and shut down.

It's been an hour and eighteen minutes. Do you log it as 1.3? Do you log it
if you actually managed to get three feet in the air for twelve seconds before
aborting the takeoff and landing again on the mile of runway remaining?

Jose

Old December 21st 03, 07:00 PM
A Lieberman

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

At what point can one start recording _Flight Time_? Engine start? First
master switch?

I could'nt find anything in the FARS for "when" to start counting, but I
am under the impression from my experiences, that anytime the prop is
turning is the time you count.

Allen
Old December 21st 03, 07:01 PM
EDR

In article 7oiFb.618964$Fm2.558042@attbi_s04, Jay Honeck
wrote:

And if you *are* using the flight timer, have you stopped using the old
archaic "1.3 hours" method of recording flight time? Anyone using actual
hours and minutes in their logbook instead?

I do.
I log the following:

Hobbs start/Hobbs stop
Tach start/Tach stop
Clock start/Clock stop
Wheels off/Wheels on
Old December 21st 03, 07:15 PM
Tony Cox

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

It's been an hour and eighteen minutes. Do you log it as 1.3? Do you log

it
if you actually managed to get three feet in the air for twelve seconds

before
aborting the takeoff and landing again on the mile of runway remaining?

If your intent was flight (even if you didn't get off
the ground), then my understanding is that you can
indeed log it.

Old December 21st 03, 07:21 PM
Ron Natalie

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message ...

At what point can one start recording _Flight Time_? Engine start? First
master switch?

Since we are talking pilot time (we have bounced back and forth here), the
rules say: elapsed time form the time the aircraft first moves under its
own power for the purpose of flight until the time it comes to rest at
its . Since my plane rears forward a little bit at engine
start, and I don't tend to run it for very long when I finally get fully
parked, the ENGINE RUNNING (hobbs) time is usually pretty danged
close to the definition.

Old December 21st 03, 07:22 PM
Ron Natalie

"A Lieberman" wrote in message ...
Tom Sixkiller wrote:

At what point can one start recording _Flight Time_? Engine start? First
master switch?

I could'nt find anything in the FARS for "when" to start counting, but I
am under the impression from my experiences, that anytime the prop is
turning is the time you count.

Flight time is defined in part 1.

Old December 21st 03, 08:00 PM
Mike O'Malley

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
> [...]
snip
And if you *are* using the flight timer, have you stopped using the old
archaic "1.3 hours" method of recording flight time? Anyone using actual
hours and minutes in their logbook instead?

Well, most of my flying of late has been towing banners, and the Cubs don't
have ANYTHING electrical in 'em. I look at my watch after I start the
engine write it down on my sheet, go pull the left chock, walk to get the
right one, then hop in and go.

When I shut down, I write down that time as well. Then I have to go back
and convert from HH:MM to HH.(MM/60) for my logbook.

--
Mike

Old December 21st 03, 08:17 PM
A Lieberman

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

You didn't look at the beginning:

14CFR Part 1

Sec 1.1

Flight time means:
(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own
power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest
after landing; or
(2) For a glider without self-launch capability, pilot time that
commences when the glider is towed for the purpose of flight and ends when
the glider comes to rest after landing.

Thanks Ron,

Guess gliders don't have props!!! Helps to look at the "whole picture"!

Allen
Old December 22nd 03, 12:30 AM
Jay Honeck

I log the following:

Hobbs start/Hobbs stop
Tach start/Tach stop
Clock start/Clock stop
Wheels off/Wheels on

Why do you log four different times? And *where* do you log them?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA