What's a CARF?

Old December 21st 03, 06:53 PM
BTIZ

it does unless you specify not to...

BT

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
news
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
link.net...

Hah! More fool me for thinking the NOTAM was
relevant! I got that asking for a briefing from Las Vegas
to Death Valley, without asking for flow control or
non-associated FDC NOTAMS.

Seems like the briefer is a bit weak on latitude and longitude.

Not really. It was DUATS from the web. And I should have
realized that the lat/long made it irrelevant.

Shouldn't they just establish a "Warning" area instead of this
obscure CARF thinggy?

Old December 21st 03, 06:55 PM
EDR

In article , Tony Cox
wrote:

Here's something I've never seen in a DUATS
briefing before. Can someone enlighten me?

Oakland Center (Fremont CA) [ZOA]: December NOTAM #105 issued by Central
Alt Res Fac CA [CARF]
Central Altitude Reservation Facility notice number 1275 on Bravo
stationary reservation within an area bounded by 4040N 12710W 4040N 13200W
3730N 13200W 3730N 12710W. surface - FL200 will be effective December 22nd,
2003 at 12:30 PM PST (0312222030) - December 22nd, 2003 at 03:30 PM PST
(0312222330)

I don't have a map of that area, is that Vandenberg?
Old December 21st 03, 07:06 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"BTIZ" wrote in message

it does unless you specify not to...

You mean you receive either every damn NOTAM in the country or none at all?
Sounds pretty inefficient.

Old December 21st 03, 07:07 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"EDR" wrote in message

I don't have a map of that area, is that Vandenberg?

It's the Pacific Ocean.

Old December 21st 03, 07:10 PM
Tony Cox

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
news

Not really. It was DUATS from the web. And I should have
realized that the lat/long made it irrelevant.

Oh? Is that normal for DUATS? Does it always provide NOTAMs nowhere near
your route of flight?

Well, it generally tells me about things that I suppose
could _conceivably_ be relevant. I always get the
"Micky Mouse" NOTAM in LA for example (some
150 miles off). Anything further than that normally
only turns up when I select the "non-associated FDC
NOTAM's" box, which in this case I didn't.

Shouldn't they just establish a "Warning" area instead of this
obscure CARF thinggy?

Warning Areas are charted, but this area appears to be off the charts.

The
charts that are normally used by civil pilots anyway.

Well, temporary Warning area then. As a flight planner,
I'm not really sure what precautions I'm supposed to take
when I'm informed that some "Central Facility" is reserving
altitudes.

Old December 22nd 03, 03:32 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
link.net...

Well, temporary Warning area then.

That wouldn't fit the definition of Warning Area in the Pilot/Controller
Glossary:

"A warning area is airspace of defined dimensions extending from 3 nautical
miles outward from the coast of the United States, that contains activity
that may be hazardous to nonparticipating aircraft. The purpose of such
warning area is to warn nonparticipating pilots of the potential danger. A
warning area may be located over domestic or international waters or both."

As a flight planner,
I'm not really sure what precautions I'm supposed to take
when I'm informed that some "Central Facility" is reserving
altitudes.

Well, if you're among the piston-only crowd as most of us are, I think
you're very unlikely to encounter an ALTRV. I've never heard of one over
land that was not in Class A airspace, and all of those that were at low
altitudes were far out to sea.

Old December 22nd 03, 03:37 AM
BTIZ

I save the text and then delete what I don't want... turns 20 pages into
about 7.

Prints faster that way..

BT

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Oh? Is that normal for DUATS? Does it always provide NOTAMs nowhere

near
your route of flight?

When I use DUATS, it provides me with everything in the entire region

through
which I intend to fly. If I plan a flight from New Jersey to Tennessee,

for example,
I will get every caution from Maine to Florida.

As a result, I long ago quit using DUATS for planning such a trip. It

would take
an hour and a half to print the whole thing out, if I were so stupid as to

try
it again (I did once).

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually

said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Old December 22nd 03, 03:41 AM
BTIZ

Well, if you're among the piston-only crowd as most of us are, I think
you're very unlikely to encounter an ALTRV. I've never heard of one over
land that was not in Class A airspace, and all of those that were at low
altitudes were far out to sea.

except for the initial departure, climb corridors, and arrival tracks.. that
were part of all of my ALTRVs... well.. actually I guess that was part of
the IFR clearance.. with a control time at the "start ALTRV" point at
altitude.. once in the ALTRV, and on time, ATC no longer assumes
responsibility for separation within the ALTRV (MARSA).. ATC only keeps
those not on the ALTRV clear..

but that was oh so long ago... LOL
BT

Old December 22nd 03, 04:40 AM
Newps

BTIZ wrote:

except for the initial departure, climb corridors, and arrival tracks.. that
were part of all of my ALTRVs... well.. actually I guess that was part of
the IFR clearance.. with a control time at the "start ALTRV" point at
altitude.. once in the ALTRV, and on time, ATC no longer assumes
responsibility for separation within the ALTRV (MARSA).. ATC only keeps
those not on the ALTRV clear..

We see ALTRV all the time. B-1's and B-52's circle BIL all the time at
about 40 miles out at 25 AGL. We have to make sure aircraft are above
the bombers at 37 DME from the VOR, which isn't a problem because nobody
is ever that low that far from us. But we get traffic count to keep the
pay up.