High Blood Pressure

Old March 24th 05, 12:18 PM
Tony

Look up the DASH diet, it's been proven to reduce bp the order of
6mm/4mm. May be enough to reduce meds. Weight loss of 10 kG (22 pounds
or so) has been found to be worth about -10mm/-7mm or so.

BP does matter: things start happening more often once you start
running above 115/77 pr sp, and of course get worse the high it is.
Hey, the changes aren't dramatic, but it's your life. Even if the
likelyhood of a stroke in a given year goes from 3% to 2%, if it's YOUR
stroke that's avoided, you're ahead of the game.

Take responsibility!

Old March 24th 05, 01:09 PM
Jay Honeck

Give us an insite as to what your diet is - that's where high BP starts.

Well, he keeps talking about brats and full-bodied beer. That should give
you a
clue.

Hey, now. Those are only occasional pleasures.

Breakfast is usually a "sawdust bar" (one of those high-fiber, low fat
granola bars) or a piece of left-over bakery (muffin, bagel) from the hotel,
and "Half-and-half" coffee. (50% of the normal caffeine.)

Lunch is a half sandwich and bowl of soup, with chips and a diet pop.

Supper is whatever Mary makes, or whatever we eat at a restaurant. This is
obviously a dangerous meal, and one that I have the most trouble with.

Last night it was ribs, baked potato and sour cream, green beans, salad and
water. And, since it was my "Saturday night", a couple of Sprecher beers.

All and all, not a bad day -- but too much salt and fat. Still, I just
finished 30 minutes of lifting with my son, so hopefully I've offset some of
it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 24th 05, 01:10 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay has mentioned a few times that he's been keeping his son company in
the
weight-training room. Now, my doc tells me that weight training won't do
anything for blood pressure or cholesterol, but it *does* build muscle
mass. And
muscle weighs more than fat.

My doc told me that weight training may actually *increase* blood pressure.

Which really sucks.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 24th 05, 01:51 PM
Jim Burns

Whew!!! Some things ARE still sacred!
Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
So.... does this mean no OSH Pig?!!!

NOW you have gone too far! g

Agreed. There WILL be pig in OSH, whether my BP is high, low, or in
between.

And real beer.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 24th 05, 02:16 PM
Jay Honeck

Whew!!! Some things ARE still sacred!

Absolutely. You can either live, or you are just waiting to die -- it's
your choice.

Passing on an OSH pig roast (with real beer) is tantamount to mounting a
deathwatch, IMHO...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 24th 05, 02:25 PM
Jim Burns

Live hard but die harder! Glad to see you're still a Wisconsin native.
Good food, good beer, and great airplanes.... God's Country!
Jim

Old March 24th 05, 03:22 PM
William W. Plummer

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Of what you listed only the beans, salad, water and lifting are "good".
I do all the cooking and I serve things such as fish (2x per week),
bean salad (not baked beans), turkey, lots of vegetables, tomatoes, etc.
Try a can of "pink salmon" for lunch. Look on http://www.webmd.com
for discussion boards on high blood pressure, diabetes, diets for losing
weight. Dr. Ornish has a board there.

Also, for additional exercise, we do a couple of hours of
http://www.geocaching.com . It's enjoyable hiking through the woods,
with a goal. I've found trails and parks within two miles of my home
that I had not discovered in 18 years of living here!
Old March 24th 05, 04:16 PM
Corky Scott

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:10:05 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

There have been some studies indicating that Vitamins C & E can help high
blood pressure by improving the function of the heart & blood vessels.

Great idea! I take both every day. Have for many years.

Jay, my information is that vitamin E has lost favor recently as a
benefit. It in fact may hurt more than help. Please check with an
expert before continuing with E intake.

Corky Scott
Old March 24th 05, 04:25 PM
Corky Scott

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:39:38 -0500, "Blood pressure tip"
wrote:

If a reading is to be given THE CORRECT WAY IS " NO EXERCISE FOR AT LEAST
A HALF HOUR prior to the reading.. SITTING OR LAYING DOWN IS IDEAL.

If this sounds like your situation, take it over!! Hope this helps and
good luck

No coffee either. Drinking coffee prior to taking Blood Pressure
raises the values.

Corky Scott
Old March 24th 05, 04:56 PM
Casey Wilson

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

All and all, not a bad day -- but too much salt and fat. Still, I just
finished 30 minutes of lifting with my son, so hopefully I've offset some
of it!
--

Hmmm, This needs a thread between anaerobic and aerobic exercises.
First off, any time the calorie output exceeds the calorie input the result
is a net loss in weight -- regardless of the type of exercise. So much for
that.
But the real answer to exercising to improve the cardiovascular system
lies in aerobic exercise. A minimum aerobic workout would be something
equivalent to walking at a pace that pushes your heart rate up to your
individual training range and sustaining that pulse rate for at least 20
minutes, followed by a gradual cool-down to prevent cramping.
The published minimum is three times a week, although I hear rumors that
both duration and frequency are being increased by the pundits. In any case,
start out at the minimums and increase gradually. What I discovered was
that, as I began to improve, I had to work harder and longer just to get the
pulse rate into the training range. I can't run because of a hip problem so
I had to keep extending the times, that works also.
You can do the same thing indoors with treadmills, stationary bikes,
elliptical trainers, stairstepper, etc., when the weather doesn't permit.
Personally, I like to see the sky and smell the flowers so I'm outside
whenever I can.
Anaerobic, free-weights, Nautilus, etc., are great for muscle
development. I do 3 days aerobic alternating with 2 days anaerobic.
I'm on a BP med and my doc just cut the dose in half. My BP, typically,
is 110/60, now.
In any case, DO NOT rely on exercise alone to improve your CV status.
Over a period of time, calories out has to exceed calories in if you are
going to reduce the weight. I'll bet though, that weight isn't your
problem, not working as an inn-keeper.