High Blood Pressure

Old March 25th 05, 09:16 AM
Cockpit Colin

My experience is that excessive amounts of high glycemic index carbohydrates
will be causing most of your problem. (breads / potatoe / muffins / beers /
even most "sawdust bars" / the soup - and the caffeine in the coffee and
diet coke have much the same effect as the bad carbs in that they raise
insuline levels and promote fat storage.

There are a zillion diets out there - all of them different, and yet in many
ways, many of them are remarkably similar in both what they recommend you
eat and recommend you avoid.

Most recommend ...

Fruit - vegetables (pref not root vegetables) - lean meat (fish, chicken
etc)

Most discourage such things as bread / pasta / potatoe / anything with
caffiene.

For me the zone diet lowered my BP lowered my cholesterol lowered my weight
and a whole lot more - Atkins works well too once you understand that
although they say a high fat content is OK it doesn't mean that your protein
source HAS to be pork chops with saturated fats literally dripping from
them.

Just my 10c worth!

Old March 25th 05, 09:21 AM
Cockpit Colin

Yes and no - yes in that there can be a tendency towards hypertension passed
in the genes, no in that it's been proven that diet affects the way in which
those genes choose to express themselves.

Personally, I have to wonder if the reason grandma + mum + the kids have
similar medical problems (including hypertension / obesity / type 2
diabeties etc) is that they've all eaten similar diets - passed down from
one generation to the next.

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Cockpit Colin wrote:

Give us an insite as to what your diet is - that's where high BP starts.

It also can start from heredity.

Matt

Old March 25th 05, 11:09 AM
Bob Noel

In article abN0e.16808$fn3.9993@attbi_s01,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Probably Mary's revenge for Jay blaming the worn brakes on her.

Tires, Bob, tires.

You are blaming her for worn tires too?!

;-)

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like
Old March 25th 05, 02:36 PM
Jay Honeck

Personally, I have to wonder if the reason grandma + mum + the kids have
similar medical problems (including hypertension / obesity / type 2
diabeties etc) is that they've all eaten similar diets - passed down from
one generation to the next.

No doubt. I was raised on meat, potato, gravy, fried eggs, butter -- the
traditional German-American diet.

I probably eat 30% of the red meat my parents did. I certainly am more
aware of fat, and am at least 20 pounds lighter than my Dad was at the same
age because of it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 25th 05, 02:56 PM
George Patterson

Cockpit Colin wrote:

Personally, I have to wonder if the reason grandma + mum + the kids have
similar medical problems (including hypertension / obesity / type 2
diabeties etc) is that they've all eaten similar diets - passed down from
one generation to the next.

I would bet on this. It also ought to be easy to test. Just locate enough men
who've been married for, say, 20 years to a woman who cooks differently from the
food on which they were raised. See if they show significant differences in
health from that of their parents.

George Patterson
Drink up, Socrates -- it's all-natural.
Old March 25th 05, 06:04 PM
Matt Whiting

Cockpit Colin wrote:
Yes and no - yes in that there can be a tendency towards hypertension passed
in the genes, no in that it's been proven that diet affects the way in which
those genes choose to express themselves.

Personally, I have to wonder if the reason grandma + mum + the kids have
similar medical problems (including hypertension / obesity / type 2
diabeties etc) is that they've all eaten similar diets - passed down from
one generation to the next.

My hypertension came in in just 3 months. I went from 115/60 to 165/105
during one summer when I was 37. The doc was pretty worried at first
and checked all sorts of things (EKG, chest x-ray, every blood test
known to man, etc.). He found nothing wrong and my diet didn't change
during that 3 months. And diet changes and exercise since then have had
no appreciable affect. The doc said it was heredity and a low dose of
ACE inhibitor has kept the BP in check for nearly 8 years now.

Sure, diet affects a lot of things, but you simply can't blame every ill
on diet.

Matt
Old March 25th 05, 09:19 PM
Montblack

(Scott D wrote)
I'v been told that many BP meds cause erectile disfuntion. Maybe you can
give us a report on that?

And I was always told it was caused by marriage.

High BP or ED ...or both?

Montblack
"Go, get the butter."
Old March 26th 05, 01:06 PM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:52:16 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

He has prescribed Vasotec for me,

I don't know this one. By all means ensure that you get a BP
medication that does not affect your ability to get a high pulse rate.
Otherwise you ruin your ability to maintain cardiovascular fitness.

My own BP was never so high that it would have caused the FAA to deny
me a medical, but it has proved very resistant to lowering by
medications. I have taken four different sorts over the years; oddly
enough, the most dramatic effect was from hydrochlorothiazide or HCTZ,
which also happens to be dirt cheap. If you must pay for your meds,
ask your doc about HCTZ. BJ's Wholesale Club prices it at eight bucks
for 100 tablets! You get a year for about $30. It's a diuretic.

I took the list of FAA disapproved BP meds to my doctor, who laughed
hugely. Said that nobody had prescribed any of that stuff since he'd
been practicing

However, I did get a bad reaction from one BP med when I was a student
pilot. Scared me enough that I never took it again. Alas, I can't
remember its name. Diovan is benign but expensive. Cardura
(doxy-something) is a great med if you have an enlarged prostate; it
lowers your BP while making it easier to empty your bladder. HCTZ as I
say is a blockbuster med that is dirt cheap.

Your mileage of course will vary.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
Old March 26th 05, 01:11 PM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:10:43 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

My doc told me that weight training may actually *increase* blood pressure.

It lowers mine!

My doc says this is impossible, but I often take my BP three times
during a workout. I might go in there and have it read 135/75. After
20 minutes on an ellipitical trainer, it might drop to 120/70. Then
after half an hour on the weight machines, it will drop to 110/60.

It was so predictable that when I took my flight physical, I would
drive to the doc's an hour ahead of time. Then I would walk away from
his office for 30 mins, turn around, and walk back. I was sweaty for
my physical, but my BP was low.

Now I am NOT lifting my own body weight! This is weight training I'm
talking about, not weight lifting. And I use the machines, not free
weights. I choose a weight with which I can do 8-10 repetitions.

Old March 26th 05, 01:15 PM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:31:00 -0500, Dave Butler wrote:

Everything has sodium

Well, there's always Bite Sized Shredded Wheat. Of course, you'll have
to eat it without milk ...