Throwaway GPS

Old December 9th 05, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Throwaway GPS

I thought for all of the GPS threads.

Next year, 2006, the government mandate for GPS inclusion in cell phones
starts. That means that eventually every cheap cell phone is going to have
a GPS.

GPS receivers are plentyfull now, but are getting set to proliferate into
a commondity part. The time is coming when instead of worrying about tying the
multiple GPS using instruments you have in your airplane, they all have their
own, and you have 3, 4 or more redundant GPS recievers in your airplane.

Old December 9th 05, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Scott Moore wrote:
I thought for all of the GPS threads.

Next year, 2006, the government mandate for GPS inclusion in cell phones
starts. That means that eventually every cheap cell phone is going to have
a GPS.

GPS receivers are plentyfull now, but are getting set to proliferate into
a commondity part. The time is coming when instead of worrying about tying the
multiple GPS using instruments you have in your airplane, they all have their
own, and you have 3, 4 or more redundant GPS recievers in your airplane.

I believe the phone makers were trying to substitute a cell-tower
triangularization scheme so they didn't have to have a GPS in each
phone. I never heard what the outcome was, however. Note a GPS
chip-set is only $0.25 in 100,000 lots!

Old December 9th 05, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Yes and no. As I understand it, the new phones will be able to tell someone
where you are, so that they can come and give you CPR or offer armed
response, but it won't have a display that tells YOU where you are. So I
don't believe that they will be GPS's as we think of them.

Bob Gardner

Old December 10th 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 12/9/2005 5:48 PM, Bob Gardner wrote the following:
Yes and no. As I understand it, the new phones will be able to tell someone
where you are, so that they can come and give you CPR or offer armed
response, but it won't have a display that tells YOU where you are. So I
don't believe that they will be GPS's as we think of them.

But do they even do that with GPS? It would seem to be
easier to do approximate location via reporting which
cell(s) the phone is hitting and maybe its signal amplitude.
Not as accurate of course.

If it's really GPS I can't imagine that the manufacturers
wouldn't somehow add it to the list of toys the phone makes
available to the user.
Old December 10th 05, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

If the cellphone is able to transmit its GPS co-ordinates, surely it
should also be able to give that same information to the user.

Old December 10th 05, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, "Andrew Sarangan" said:
If the cellphone is able to transmit its GPS co-ordinates, surely it
should also be able to give that same information to the user.

Some of them can. A friend has a cell phone that one of the better hidden
menu items is to make the GPS data private - if you don't select it, the
cell phone company terms of service allows them the option to spam you
with text messages advertising businesses local to where you are.

There is also a program somebody wrote using the Google Maps API where you
and a community of friends can always see where the other members of your
community are at any time based on the GPS coordinates of their cell
phones.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"You are installing Internet Explorer 4.0. Windows NT needs to overwrite
Old December 10th 05, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

Some of them can. A friend has a cell phone that one of the better hidden
menu items is to make the GPS data private - if you don't select it, the
cell phone company terms of service allows them the option to spam you
with text messages advertising businesses local to where you are.

what's the name of this cell provider? I want to make sure that I never
ever buy anything from them.

Thanks

--
Bob Noel
New NHL? what a joke

Old December 10th 05, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

Some of them can. A friend has a cell phone that one of the better hidden
menu items is to make the GPS data private - if you don't select it, the
cell phone company terms of service allows them the option to spam you
with text messages advertising businesses local to where you are.

what's the name of this cell provider? I want to make sure that I never
ever buy anything from them.

What's wrong with that if it works?
Old December 10th 05, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article ,
Stubby wrote:

what's the name of this cell provider? I want to make sure that I never
ever buy anything from them.

What's wrong with that if it works?

I try to avoid doing business with companies that spam.

--
Bob Noel
New NHL? what a joke