Remember your first landing?

Old June 2nd 04, 05:13 PM
HECTOP

Default Remember your first landing?

http://www.airvideo.de/videos/anflug..._ga_271202.mpg

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old June 2nd 04, 07:24 PM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

"HECTOP" wrote in message
http://www.airvideo.de/videos/anflug..._ga_271202.mpg

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Holy crap! Talk about crosswind...

At least he had the common sense to abort and go around...or to another
airport. He was almost at 90-degrees to the runway.

Old June 2nd 04, 10:52 PM
Chris Ehlbeck

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote in message

"HECTOP" wrote in message
http://www.airvideo.de/videos/anflug..._ga_271202.mpg

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Holy crap! Talk about crosswind...

At least he had the common sense to abort and go around...or to another
airport. He was almost at 90-degrees to the runway.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing!
--
Chris Ehlbeck, PPASEL
"It's a license to learn."

Old June 3rd 04, 12:18 AM
G Farris

There's another video - maybe someone here knows a link to it - of a 747 in a
similar crosswind situation at Hong Kong's old Kai-Tek airport. They managed
to kick it straight and slam it down - I wonder what THAT must feel like
back in row #269!!

G Faris

Old June 3rd 04, 12:55 AM
James Robinson

G Farris wrote:

There's another video - maybe someone here knows a link to it - of a 747 in a
similar crosswind situation at Hong Kong's old Kai-Tek airport. They managed
to kick it straight and slam it down - I wonder what THAT must feel like
back in row #269!!

If it's the one I'm think of, it was a Korean Airlines aircraft, and
there was no apparent crosswind. The pilot simply overshot when turning
base, and did a last minute correction to line up and avoid a go-around.
He dumped it on the runway while still slipping, but had kicked it in
alignment just in time. So much for a stabilized approach.

The other video I remember of a landing in a crosswind, or more
accurately wind shear, was a UPS DC-8 landing at Denver. It was almost
dropped on the runway at about a 45 degree angle to the runway
alignment. Luckily, the pilot put the balls to the wall in time, and
just avoided a big mess.
Old June 3rd 04, 04:53 AM
A Lieberman

James Robinson wrote:

G Farris wrote:

There's another video - maybe someone here knows a link to it - of a 747 in a
similar crosswind situation at Hong Kong's old Kai-Tek airport. They managed
to kick it straight and slam it down - I wonder what THAT must feel like
back in row #269!!

If it's the one I'm think of, it was a Korean Airlines aircraft, and
there was no apparent crosswind. The pilot simply overshot when turning
base, and did a last minute correction to line up and avoid a go-around.
He dumped it on the runway while still slipping, but had kicked it in
alignment just in time. So much for a stabilized approach.

Go to Jay's web page that shows video's
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm.

Look at the wind sock to the right of the runway 3 seconds into the
movie.

It appeared to me that the 747 had a quartering tail wind / crosswind.

Camera angle seemed a little deceptive, and it may have been a true
crosswind situation or....

His approach was too high, and he slipped it in just like us little
guys.

Since he landed on his left wheel(s) first, I would suspect that he
slipped the plane in rather then crosswind adjustment or he would have
tried to land on the upwind wheel (right wheels).

My guess anyway.....

Allen
Old June 3rd 04, 06:47 PM
Darrell

"James Robinson" wrote in message
G Farris wrote:

[...]

I think that was at Ontario, California. I have that video as a link on my
B-58 Hustler home page shown below. Once there, click on the Crosswind
landing link.

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

Old June 3rd 04, 11:50 PM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:13:32 -0400, "HECTOP"
wrote:

http://www.airvideo.de/videos/anflug..._ga_271202.mpg

It loads but quicktime see it as a broken file.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old June 3rd 04, 11:58 PM
HECTOP

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
http://www.airvideo.de/videos/anflug..._ga_271202.mpg

It's not playin' in Quicktime because whoever posted it, changed the correct
extension of that file type from .wmv to .mpg which it is not. You'll need
Windows Media Player to view this file.

HECTOP
PP-ASEL-IA
http://www.maxho.com
maxho_at_maxho.com

Old June 4th 04, 03:11 AM
James Robinson

Darrell wrote:

James Robinson wrote:

The other video I remember of a landing in a crosswind, or more
accurately wind shear, was a UPS DC-8 landing at Denver. It was almost
dropped on the runway at about a 45 degree angle to the runway
alignment. Luckily, the pilot put the balls to the wall in time, and
just avoided a big mess.

I think that was at Ontario, California.

Thanks for the correction.

I have that video as a link on my B-58 Hustler home page shown
below. Once there, click on the Crosswind landing link.

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

When I click on that link, I get the TAP attempt at Lisbon.

I searched around and found the following web site with the UPS plane,
plus a couple of others.

http://www.luftfahrt.net/download/videos/index.php

These are PKZip files, so you have to download them first, unzip them,
and then you can look at them. The note at the top says you need the
MPEG 4 Codec for the most recent additions, but also provides a link to
where you can get it.

There is also a video of an Alitalia MD-11 landing at the old Hong Kong
airport that shows the problems that showed up in landing there. You had
to fly at about 90 degrees to the end of the runway, then make a 45
degree turn toward the airport, and finally drop down at quite a steep
angle, before turning the final 45 degrees at the last moment to line up
with the runway. Aircraft frequently missed, and had to go around.
Many pilots still made the attempt, rather than go around, since with a
single runway, the pattern was often quite busy.