cable splicing(w/o ferrules)

Old March 19th 04, 02:47 AM
Andy Davey

Default cable splicing(w/o ferrules)

When I flew for the Air cadets, we used to just tie
a reefknot in the cable and tape over the 'tails' with
the same tape as racing cyclists used to use for their
handlebars(basically cloth tape) . You need to leave
about 4' tails. This worked fine and takes about 30
seconds to do with a good team. Its not so gentle on
the paying on gear, but once its pulled tight after
one launch,its probably better than ferrules.
A knot is obviously a weak point in a cable, but any
join in a cable is going to create a weak point.

We tried the system of opening up the cable and splicing
a loop with the ends, but it often unravelled itself(maybe
we did something wrong, but I don't think so!).
To join the parachute assembly onto a shackle, we used
a 'round turn and 2 half-hitches' and again taped over
the tail. This used to last indefinitely, unlike the
taped over reefknots which do need changing every day(but
that was standard practice anyway!)
The amount of wear on a cable depends on the surface
that it's dragged over. even a short stretch of concrete/tarmac
(blacktop or whatever you foreigners call it!) or gravel
will wear cable very quickly. The best idea is a hard
surfaced track for the vehicle, and the cable(s) on
a boom that goes out either to both sides or just
to one side of the car, so that the cable just runs
on grass. It obviously depends on your airfield shape,
surface etc.
At my old club(cotswold g.c) they have a towcar that
drives down the edge of the runway, but the cables
are on a one sided boom that sticks 6' or so out to
the side. Can't remember their website, but 'Cotswold
Gliding club' should get you there. Their members section
has photos of the system under (I think)'tow-out gear'
Our club was the last to use 'reverse pulley' - a great
and very cheap system, but you need hard runways for
it to work. They changed to a winch because they thought
it'd be quiker and cheaper(6.2 l Fords are not cheap
to run even on propane! and parts are difficult to
get in the UK) But they maybe regret that now due to
problems with the winch! (thats an unofficial comment,
as I'm no longer a member!)

Old March 19th 04, 07:34 AM
F.L. Whiteley

for the Yanks, that would be a 'square knot'

Did this with the 4/3 'weave' on the 7/7 wire also and the 'bodge' tape.

Frank Whiteley
ex-Anglia GC, RAF Wattisham

Old March 19th 04, 01:49 PM
Stephen Cook

"Andy Davey" wrote in message
At my old club(cotswold g.c) they have a towcar that
drives down the edge of the runway, but the cables
are on a one sided boom that sticks 6' or so out to
the side. Can't remember their website, but 'Cotswold
Gliding club' should get you there. Their members section
has photos of the system under (I think)'tow-out gear'

Pictures of tow out gear he
http://www.cotswoldgliding.co.uk/towcar/index.htm (lots of detail because
page was prepared for someone making a similar system at another club)

Our club was the last to use 'reverse pulley' - a great
and very cheap system, but you need hard runways for
it to work. They changed to a winch because they thought
it'd be quiker and cheaper(6.2 l Fords are not cheap
to run even on propane! and parts are difficult to
get in the UK) But they maybe regret that now due to
problems with the winch! (thats an unofficial comment,
as I'm no longer a member!)

There are pros and cons of each system but the consensus is that the winch
is better. And we're just about to take delivery of our second winch.

Stephen
Cotswold GC