speed record set by scramjet - fair?

Old November 17th 04, 10:09 PM
Don French

Default speed record set by scramjet - fair?

How fast was the rocket going when it released the record-setting
scramjet? If the rocket was going Mach 9 in the thin atmosphere at
100,000 feet and released a stone, for example, the stone would travel
several seconds at close to Mach 9. I assume that the rocket was not
going Mach 9, but I haven't seen any information on how fast it was
going.

Regardless, it seems to me that the rocket's speed has to be
subtracted from the jet's speed to arrive at the actual jet speed when
you talk about the world's record for speed of a jet plane.

-- Don French
Old November 17th 04, 10:38 PM
gatt

"Don French" wrote in message

Regardless, it seems to me that the rocket's speed has to be
subtracted from the jet's speed to arrive at the actual jet speed when
you talk about the world's record for speed of a jet plane.

Hmm. Would you say the same for Yeager and the X-1, it having been dropped
from the belly of another aircraft, or is your particular question related
just to the rocket?

Would this same sort of criteria apply to the X-prize given that Space Ship
One was given a lift to an intermediate altitide?

Interesting.
-c

Old November 17th 04, 11:20 PM
Bob Gardner

The press report I read said that the scramjet wouldn't even start below
Mach 4.0.

Bob Gardner

om...

Old November 17th 04, 11:21 PM
Nathan Gilliatt

In article ,
"gatt" wrote:

Would this same sort of criteria apply to the X-prize given that Space Ship
One was given a lift to an intermediate altitide?

You could interpret the White Knight as a manned first stage of the
launch system. Since it's also reusable within the prize parameters, the
complete launch system would still qualify.

Whether or not you subtract the rocket's speed from the X-43, it's still
quite an accomplishment to have an air-breathing engine running at Mach
10. This is the proof of concept stage, right? Now we know that the
scramjet design doesn't just blow itself out.

- Nathan
Old November 17th 04, 11:22 PM
Aardvark

Don French wrote:

How fast was the rocket going when it released the record-setting
scramjet? If the rocket was going Mach 9 in the thin atmosphere at
100,000 feet and released a stone, for example, the stone would travel
several seconds at close to Mach 9. I assume that the rocket was not
going Mach 9, but I haven't seen any information on how fast it was
going.

Regardless, it seems to me that the rocket's speed has to be
subtracted from the jet's speed to arrive at the actual jet speed when
you talk about the world's record for speed of a jet plane.

-- Don French

Quoted from some web site.

"The telemetry showed the X-43A was set free by the booster at a speed
well in excess of Mach 9 but was able to maintain its cruising velocity
under the thrust from its scramjet.

Engineers followed the X-43A as it travelled more than 1,000km (620
miles), eventually losing speed and plunging into the Pacific. "

Now if the rock went 620 miles after release

Old November 17th 04, 11:58 PM
Nathan Young

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:22:14 -0500, Aardvark
wrote:

Don French wrote:

[...]

That's interesting. I wonder how far it would have glided without
lighting the scramjet. At mach 9, the miles go by pretty quickly...
Old November 18th 04, 02:47 AM
Jay Honeck

Regardless, it seems to me that the rocket's speed has to be
subtracted from the jet's speed to arrive at the actual jet speed when
you talk about the world's record for speed of a jet plane.

On a deeper level, I find the enthusiasm about this scramjet flight to be,
in many ways, pathetic.

I mean, c'mon -- we're talking about an unmanned, rocket-assisted, 10 second
flight here -- which is somehow trumped up to be some sort of a huge success
for NASA? Worse, they're claming that they've "beaten the speed record set
by the X-15 some 40 years ago..."

Compare this sad little program to the heady days of the manned X-15, with
dozens of suborbital flights over a period of years, and you soon see what I
mean. It's hard to watch this new generation getting all excited about a
program that, in the 1960s, wouldn't have merited mention on the nightly
news.

But I suppose that's all they really have to get excited about nowadays,
with the space program completely shut down.

NASA has sunk so far since I was a boy...it is to weep.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 18th 04, 03:34 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 11/17/04 9:47 PM, in article 03Umd.45151$V41.23702@attbi_s52, "Jay
Honeck" wrote:

[...]

I feel the same way. I have a hard time calling the thing a plane since it's
unmanned. In my mind, a plane has a pilot sitting at the controls.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic

Old November 18th 04, 04:15 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

It typical NASA hype. Note that they claimed to have "invented" virtually
everything new in the '60s.

Mike
MU-2

Old November 18th 04, 12:06 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
On a deeper level, I find the enthusiasm about this scramjet flight to be,
in many ways, pathetic.

I mean, c'mon -- we're talking about an unmanned, rocket-assisted, 10 second
flight here -- which is somehow trumped up to be some sort of a huge success
for NASA? Worse, they're claming that they've "beaten the speed record set
by the X-15 some 40 years ago..."

The excitement is about the technology. I think the press is making a
bigger thing about the "record" than NASA really cares about. The ability
to run a jet engine, at close to Mach 10, without bringing along an
oxygen tank, is the REAL achievement. There will undoubtedly be many
more unmanned test flights before a manned flight is attempted with this
engine.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Blackbird v. Mig-25 Vello Kala Military Aviation 79 September 15th 04 04:05 AM
Landing and T/O distances (Was Cold War ALternate Basing) Guy Alcala Military Aviation 3 August 13th 04 12:18 PM
F-106 Speed record questions.... David E. Powell Military Aviation 67 February 25th 04 06:13 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Edwards air show B-1 speed record attempt Paul Hirose Military Aviation 146 November 3rd 03 05:18 PM