Boston Approach frequency question

Old June 19th 04, 03:49 AM
John R

Default Boston Approach frequency question

The low altitude frequency for BOS approach south of either BOS
R270 or near Interstate 90 is charted as 124.1 Mhz. Maybe that
is the frequency that they use at 3 AM on a Sunday morning, but
I've always been asked to use 120.6, both on initial call ups or
handoffs from another sector. This frequency isn't charted. Why
don't they chart 120.6 since it is the commonly used frequency?

Old June 19th 04, 05:32 PM
Steve

John,

120.6 is the approach frequency for BOS south. It's on the Low Altitude
Enroute chart, the approch charts, and the AFD. Are you thinking of a center
frequency?

- Steve

Old June 20th 04, 03:09 AM
John R

"John R" wrote in message ...
The low altitude frequency for BOS approach south of either BOS
R270 or near Interstate 90 is charted as 124.1 Mhz. Maybe that
is the frequency that they use at 3 AM on a Sunday morning, but
I've always been asked to use 120.6, both on initial call ups or
handoffs from another sector. This frequency isn't charted. Why
don't they chart 120.6 since it is the commonly used frequency?

No, I am not thinking of a center frequency. As I mentioned, I was thinking of
Boston TRACON's frequency of 120.6. Yes, this frequency may be on IFR approach
charts for Boston airport and it may be on Instrument enroute charts. When
flying IFR you would use the frequency that is given to you anyway.

120.6 is not charted on the VFR sectional or the TAC, yet they (Boston
approach) will nearly always switch you to 120.6 south of I-90 (an easily
recognizable landmark when flying VFR) if you called up on the charted frequency
of 124.1.

Old June 21st 04, 09:20 PM
Royce Brown

I am doing some work up in the Boston area and thought about flying my 172
in. When I did a search for airports in the area Logan was all I came
with. Everything else was private.

Are there no smaller airports in the Boston area? I'd rather not fly into
Logan.

Old June 21st 04, 09:47 PM
Gary Drescher

"Royce Brown" wrote in message
news:fc.003d093b01da718e3b9aca00313a62f4.1da71a0@a mugonline.org...
I am doing some work up in the Boston area and thought about flying my 172
in. When I did a search for airports in the area Logan was all I came
with. Everything else was private.

Are there no smaller airports in the Boston area? I'd rather not fly into
Logan.

BED, BVY, LWM, OWD

Old June 21st 04, 09:52 PM
Jack Cunniff

"Royce Brown" writes:

I am doing some work up in the Boston area and thought about flying my 172
in. When I did a search for airports in the area Logan was all I came
with. Everything else was private.

Are there no smaller airports in the Boston area? I'd rather not fly into
Logan.

http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/nearby_airports

(Thanks, Kyler. I still use it frequently!)

-Jack
Old June 22nd 04, 08:22 PM
C Kingsbury

BOS, BED, BVY, OWD, and LWM are most convenient to downtown, in that
order. BED is the designated GA reliever for Logan and is very, very
busy with everything from 172s to BBJs. On a sunny weekend day it is
busier than any Class C I've ever been to but most of the controllers
handle it well. If you don't like using the radio don't go there.

If you're going somewhere other than downtown, BVY, OWD, or LWM might
be even more convenient and lower hassle. BVY is on the North Shore,
LWM is up around Lowell/NH border, while OWD is South of the city not
far from the 93/95/128 intersection. OWD and BVY are both about 20
miles outside the city, or 30-40 minutes in light traffic, LWM is
about an hour. All have pretty decent facilities and are more pleasant
to deal with.

Also be warned, 100LL is now over $4/gal at BED, thanks to our friends
at Massport.

-cwk.