RAP & RAH Oshkosh field frequency

Old July 20th 05, 12:43 AM
RST Engineering

Default RAP & RAH Oshkosh field frequency

I think we could coexist with Vette on 123.3 with handhelds on the field
during Oshkosh, but I just did a fairly detailed search for 123.5 and found
no takers within twenty miles.

THEREFORE, let's make that rah/rap on field coordination frequency 123.5 and
don't give your kids the transceiver to play with.

I'm also going to use it for the Kitplanes airborne coordination cover page
photo shoots this year. No reason to cob up Vette when there is another
frequency available.

Jim

Old July 20th 05, 03:22 AM
Aaron Coolidge

In rec.aviation.owning RST Engineering wrote:
: THEREFORE, let's make that rah/rap on field coordination frequency 123.5 and
: don't give your kids the transceiver to play with.

OK! Just so the old STS handheld holds up....

: I'm also going to use it for the Kitplanes airborne coordination cover page
: photo shoots this year. No reason to cob up Vette when there is another
: frequency available.

Do you do the photo shoots out of your 182? Or do you borrow the EAA 210?
(Aside) 2 years ago I saw a Seneca-load of folks shooting pics of Sean Tucker
afther the airshow. Tucker was doing steep bank turns over Aeroshell Sq.
while a mess of people were hanging out of the back doors of the Seneca
snapping pics. It looked like the job to have!
--
Aaron C.

Old July 21st 05, 01:53 PM
HamGuy

Finnally decided to quit reading about Oshkosh and want to expereince
it myself. What is the most important thing to expereince?

Old July 21st 05, 02:06 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "HamGuy" said:
Finnally decided to quit reading about Oshkosh and want to expereince
it myself. What is the most important thing to expereince?

The credit card bills afterwards. Oh wait, that's not the most important,
that's the most shocking.

To me the best part of the week was shutting down my engine and looking
out at the thousands of planes parked around me, and saying "I'm finally
here!"

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"I'm fairly sure Linux exists principally because writing an operating system
Old July 21st 05, 03:02 PM
Dave Butler

HamGuy wrote:

Finnally decided to quit reading about Oshkosh and want to expereince
it myself. What is the most important thing to expereince?

Oh, man.

Just walk in the main gate and start walking toward the flight line. You'll
quickly find whatever it is that you want to experience, then after you leave
that experience, you'll find the next thing ... and so on, ad infinitum.

Don't miss Aeroshell Square, the vendor booths in hangars A, B, C, and D, the
warbird area, the ultralights, the seaplane base, check out the forum schedule
so you don't miss your favorite topics, look at the airshow performers'
schedules and make sure you don't miss your favorites...

You're in for a treat. I've been going since 1995. Missed 1996, but every year
since. Last year my wife went with me for the first time and it was a treat
seeing the show through her eyes. I had become a little jaded about some of the
things and seeing her amazement made me appreciate them anew.

Dave

Old July 21st 05, 03:13 PM
Margy

HamGuy wrote:

Finnally decided to quit reading about Oshkosh and want to expereince
it myself. What is the most important thing to expereince?

It really depends on your personal interests. Since you posted to
homebuilt I'll guess you will want to spend some time up there talking
to builders and looking at their baby books. I hang out down in
Vintage. The ultralights are always fun (sign up for a 6am
manufacturers sale flight in a powered parachute!). The seaplane base
is a great escape (although I haven't made it there in years). The main
show is of course great... I hope you plan to spend the entire week :-)

Margy
Old July 21st 05, 06:42 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:06:25 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

In a previous article, "HamGuy" said:
Finnally decided to quit reading about Oshkosh and want to expereince
it myself. What is the most important thing to expereince?

The credit card bills afterwards. Oh wait, that's not the most important,
that's the most shocking.

To me the best part of the week was shutting down my engine and looking
out at the thousands of planes parked around me, and saying "I'm finally
here!"

I've only been once, flew in with the Waco group in '95. Now that I
know what it's like, I'm not really inclined to visit again until I
finish my airplane and have something to talk about while I'm there.

I remember how we slotted in behind everyone after turning right over
Ripon and a few minutes later being able to literally see the landing
pattern, right to the end of the runway because it was clearly defined
by the 20 or 30 airplanes in front of us tracing the line from the
extended downwind, through base and to final.

Things got very busy as we approached on final, with airplanes taking
the runway in front of us and launching right up to short final,
including what appeared to be a T-28. At that point, an Albatross
took the runway and we had to add power and lift up over him, then
settle in front. We pulled off onto the right side of the runway on
the grass and seconds later the Albatross thundered by behind us.

A guy on a scooter showed up on our left wing and guided us to the
Theater in the Woods where the other Wacos were parking or had parked.

We had to pass through the crowd to get to it, there were many
thousands it seemed, lined up along the flight line watching the many
landing aircraft.

Quite the thrill to be a part of something so big, even if you weren't
really a part, just coming in to enjoy it.

Corky Scott

Old July 21st 05, 08:35 PM
Jack Allison

Paul Tomblin wrote:
To me the best part of the week was shutting down my engine and looking
out at the thousands of planes parked around me, and saying "I'm finally
here!"

For me, that's a close second to hearing the tower controller's "Good
job, welcome to Oshkosh" when you put it on the appropriate dot/numbers.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old July 21st 05, 10:04 PM
john smith

Jack Allison wrote:
For me, that's a close second to hearing the tower controller's "Good
job, welcome to Oshkosh" when you put it on the appropriate dot/numbers.

NOTE: Short final, keep your hand cocked on the throttle, ready to push
it up smoothly and quickly. (power, pitch, flaps, gear)
Depending upon what and who you may be following, if they decide to land
on what is beneath them instead of where they have been directed ahead
of them, you must be ready to go around.
Decision time is not, "Oh, look at that! He/she just landed where I was
told to."
It is a mile back, when you are watching the aircraft ahead of you and
observing how well they maintain airspeed and separation.
If you are catching up to them, and you are still two or three airplanes
from the threshold, your decision is already made.
Your Arrow will not slow down with the 172's and stay in the air.
Push it up, initiate a climb, sidestep to the right while cleaning up so
you can keep an eye on things ahead and beneath you, then break into a
climbing turn to join an appropriate downwind. Watch for traffic and
maintain any separation.
You are a low wing aircraft so you will want to fly/cross under any
traffic on your climbout so you can maintain visual contact. Kick it out
wide for separation. Tower will see what has happened and sequence you
back into the flow.
Do not hesitate to go around. You do not need to say anything on the
radio unless asked. Just follow Tower's instructions.