Two nearby ASOS broadcasts on the same frequency: Why no squeal?

Old August 12th 05, 12:09 AM
Dave Stadt

"Ron Parsons" wrote in message
In article ,
"Peter R." wrote:

For some reason known only to the FAA, both Dunkirk, NY (KDKK), and
Wellsville, NY (KELZ), two small, uncontrolled airports in southwestern

NY
state that are about 60 nm apart, share the same ASOS frequency.

For pilots flying to Dunkirk from the east, retrieving the current ASOS
broadcast is not possible until about 25nm east of the airport, due to

the
more powerful KELZ broadcast. This is not so much a problem when
conditions are VFR, but when they are IFR I prefer to retrieve the ASOS

as
early as possible in order to choose and prepare for a particular
instrument approach.

In any case, I am curious how it is possible for two transmissions to be
heard over an aviation frequency without the squeal (I forgot the
appropriate technical term for this).

It's not unusual for a chain of transmitters to broadcast on what
appears to be the same frequency. They are actually all set about 5khz
apart and aviation radios filter out the squeal. That filter also makes
it more difficult to hear the higher pitched female voice.

Guess every aviation radio I have ever used was broken 'cause they all
squeal. I think you need to review basic radio theory as it applies to our
dear old AM aviation radios.

Old August 12th 05, 12:13 AM
RST Engineering

One sheriff, several sheraphim
One kleenex, several kleenesces
One moose, several meese

....we can keep going if you like {;-)

Jim

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"john smith" wrote in message
. ..

Does it work on spouses and kids?

If the plural of mouse is mice, why isn't the plural of spouse spice?

Old August 12th 05, 01:27 AM
George Patterson

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

If the plural of mouse is mice, why isn't the plural of spouse spice?

It is. It gets *real* hot if you have more than one.

George Patterson
Old August 12th 05, 01:29 AM
George Patterson

Newps wrote:

Dave Butler wrote:

Ron Parsons wrote:

That filter also makes it more difficult to hear the higher pitched
female voice.

Where can I get one of those?

Every man gets issued one at birth.

The natural filter can be enhanced by extensive use of a rifle range without
hearing protection. In a pinch, a circular saw or a router will do the same, but
it takes longer.

George Patterson
Old August 12th 05, 03:35 AM
W P Dixon

For a Man,
The plural of spouse is ALIMONY

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old August 12th 05, 05:56 AM
Morgans

"RST Engineering" wrote

Having said that, since power consumption for a ground station is not a
primary concern, you can put the electronic device that controls frequency
into a temperature chamber (crystal oven) and expect that day in and day

out
it will be within a few Hz. of where it was originally set.

Is this still commonly done today? What is a crystal oven, how big, and how
is the temperature regulated?

What? (wha) I (wha) can't (wha) hear (wha) you! (wha) g
--
Jim in NC

Old August 12th 05, 05:59 AM
RST Engineering

The etymology of the word "alimony" is from the Latin, meaning to drag a
man's wallet out through his testicles.

Jim

Old August 12th 05, 06:01 AM
Morgans

"Dave Butler" wrote

Where can I get one of those?

Cut off your testicles, and start taking hormones.

Sorry gang, I typed it and hit send before I realized my alter ego did it.
Jim in NC

Old August 12th 05, 06:14 AM
RST Engineering

Oh, it is common and fairly easy. You simply say, "the temperature here
will never exceed (some number say) 60d C. You then calculate the
parameters for the crystal oven for a fair margin of error (say, 65d C)

The crystal is about the size of two dimes held face to face. The oven is
about the size of four quarters held face to face with a cutout in the
middle to accept the crystal. On one side of the face of the quarters is a
fairly large resistor (1-5 watts) bonded with thermal epoxy to the face of
the outside quarter. On the opposite face is the temperature sensor,
similarly bonded to the quarter (thermistor or diode; I prefer diodes)

A controllable heater heats the resistor. When the temperature of the
quarters exceeds the temperature set of the thermistor/diode, the heater
shuts off. It is a bang-bang servo. There are a THOUSAND refinements that
you all can have.

Old August 12th 05, 07:36 AM
Morgans

"RST Engineering" wrote

Oh, it is common and fairly easy. You simply say, "the temperature here
will never exceed (some number say) 60d C. You then calculate the
parameters for the crystal oven for a fair margin of error (say, 65d C)

Who'uda thunk I'd learn something new today, when I got up? Not me, and not
here! g

Thanks! (I bet that makes yur life wurth liv'n) ;-))
--
Jim in NC