A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Results*of*Flight*Performance*Determination*o f*the*Lak‐17a*FES

Old February 25th 14, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Results*of*Flight*Performance*Determination*o f*the*Lak‐17a*FES

the idea of a penalty for being a motor-glider is absurd. an asg29e does not get an additional handicap penalty because it has a motor last i checked.
the idea that a motor somehow provides an advantage is subjective fantasy.. no other motor-glider gets a penalty for being a motor-glider alone. again this logic is absurd. but please, show us your examples.

Sean
I don't know where you have been the last 29 years, but the first sports class nationals was in 1985 and mg/sustainer versions have always had higher handicaps than pure gliders. Read the hc list first and then comment. ASG29e is .01 higher than ASG29. The additional wingloading is the advantage, not the motor, and these HC's have been working very well for a long time.
Rick Walters

Old February 25th 14, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Rick,

My point is that there is no handicap penalty for "being a motor glider". The only factor that is measured in the handicap calculation is the additional weight of the motor equipment. The FES is a new situation in which it has both additional weight AND IMPORTANTLY it also has a significant, measured aerodynamic disadvantage which needs to be taken into consideration objectively when considering its handicap.

In this case, if you run the numbers, the FES handicap for the Lak17bFES is only considering the additional weight (75lbs not 135 I think boys). Regardless, no consideration or calculation has been factored in (current US handicap) to compensate for the aerodynamic drag penalty of the system (propellers, etc). These propellers effect the Lak17bFES performance each and every second it flies in contest flight. It should also be considered in the handicap ALONG WITH the extra weight.

I think the current handicap is incomplete and unfair to owners of the Lak17bFES and highly discouraging to potential new owners or those considering a modification to a current pure glider.

Sincerely,
Sean
Old February 25th 14, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:35:19 AM UTC-6, Sean F (F2) wrote:
Rick,

My point is that there is no handicap penalty for "being a motor glider". The only factor that is measured in the handicap calculation is the additional weight of the motor equipment. The FES is a new situation in which it has both additional weight AND IMPORTANTLY it also has a significant, measured aerodynamic disadvantage which needs to be taken into consideration objectively when considering its handicap.

In this case, if you run the numbers, the FES handicap for the Lak17bFES is only considering the additional weight (75lbs not 135 I think boys). Regardless, no consideration or calculation has been factored in (current US handicap) to compensate for the aerodynamic drag penalty of the system (propellers, etc). These propellers effect the Lak17bFES performance each and every second it flies in contest flight. It should also be considered in the handicap ALONG WITH the extra weight.

I think the current handicap is incomplete and unfair to owners of the Lak17bFES and highly discouraging to potential new owners or those considering a modification to a current pure glider.

Sincerely,

Sean

handicap is incomplete and unfair to owners of the Lak17bFES

Duly noted, Sean. Way too much noise on a 2% handicap change that nobody besides yourself gives a flip about. A couple of years ago the handicap on my LS8 was changed from .925 to .915, no idea why. Rather than screaming like a little girl about it I just concluded that - just like a fine wine - my glider is getting better with age. No conspiracy here, Sean, move along..

Herb
Old February 25th 14, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:35:19 AM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:
Rick, My point is that there is no handicap penalty for "being a motor glider". The only factor that is measured in the handicap calculation is the additional weight of the motor equipment. The FES is a new situation in which it has both additional weight AND IMPORTANTLY it also has a significant, measured aerodynamic disadvantage which needs to be taken into consideration objectively when considering its handicap. In this case, if you run the numbers, the FES handicap for the Lak17bFES is only considering the additional weight (75lbs not 135 I think boys). Regardless, no consideration or calculation has been factored in (current US handicap) to compensate for the aerodynamic drag penalty of the system (propellers, etc). These propellers effect the Lak17bFES performance each and every second it flies in contest flight. It should also be considered in the handicap ALONG WITH the extra weight. I think the current handicap is incomplete and unfair to owners of the Lak17bFES and highly discouraging to potential new owners or those considering a modification to a current pure glider. Sincerely, Sean

Then write to the handicap committee and make your case instead of campaigning on RAS which is not part of the process.
It appears to me, possibly incorrectly, that the report on this was only published very recently. I see a 1/14 date on it. If that is so, it was not really available as part of the HC consideration this year. Additionally, they would likely not be aware of it unless an affected person brought it up.
Use the process.
UH
Old February 25th 14, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

will do. thanks hank.
Old February 26th 14, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Where can I find the contact info for the Handicap Commitee? I just looked on the SSA website and could not find anything. Did I miss it?
Old February 26th 14, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Herb,
Thanks for your opinion. Brilliant as usual.
Sean
Old February 26th 14, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Leonard
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:26:59 AM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote:
Where can I find the contact info for the Handicap Commitee? I just looked on the SSA website and could not find anything. Did I miss it?

Direct link:
http://www.ssa.org/Volunteers

You will need to sign in.

Look for

Contest Handicapping Committee

Or through the menus

The SSA|About the SSA|Governance|Other Volunteer Committees
Old February 27th 14, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Thanks Dave.

All, here is a video on the FES performance testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0twY9cWOUg

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:50:27 AM UTC-5, Dave Leonard wrote:
On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:26:59 AM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote:

Direct link:

http://www.ssa.org/Volunteers

You will need to sign in.

Look for

Contest Handicapping Committee

Or through the menus

The SSA|About the SSA|Governance|Other Volunteer Committees