A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Best Stand alone Vario

Old March 3rd 15, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Best Stand alone Vario

Any thoughts on the best stand alone Vario on the market? What is most accurate?
Old March 3rd 15, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 2:38:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Any thoughts on the best stand alone Vario on the market? What is most accurate?

I think you'll have a hard time finding someone with extensive experience with all of the current offerings. Note that performance will be very heavily dependent upon proper installation (e.g. don't share the TE with a mechanical vario, don't share the static port with anything that adds volume or leaks) and configuration.

Accuracy is easy. Filtering is the interesting bit.

Butterfly seems to have the best wind info at the moment based on user reports. We hope to change that before too long.

Evan Ludeman (moonlighting with CNi)
Old March 3rd 15, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 2:49:51 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 2:38:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I think you'll have a hard time finding someone with extensive experience with all of the current offerings. Note that performance will be very heavily dependent upon proper installation (e.g. don't share the TE with a mechanical vario, don't share the static port with anything that adds volume or leaks) and configuration.

Accuracy is easy. Filtering is the interesting bit.

Butterfly seems to have the best wind info at the moment based on user reports. We hope to change that before too long.

Evan Ludeman (moonlighting with CNi)

Evan, is right. It would be very difficult to name the best. I flew with V9 from LX (not stand alone) and CNv. They performed identically, although the User Interface bonus points go to LX. In my new glider I am putting Butterfly and V9 but if I had to choose one it would probably be Butterfly. The only problem with Butterfly is price so if real time wind is not your requirement I would consider CNv or S8/S80.
On another note I would not buy any instrument hoping that a feature shows up later. I made that mistake in the past. It can be frustrating and costly so whatever your criteria is evaluate available instruments based on what they offer now.

Also the last point. Even though I am spending quite a bit of money on new instruments it is not because I think they are so much better. I hope my wife does not read this. I think C302 (used to fly with one) and SN10 have very nice variometers and the new variometers are not hugely better.

Old March 4th 15, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt
external usenet poster

a similar thread to peruse.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/best$20vario/rec.aviation.soaring/8z9O2M4vZz4/M6ImDOp7hv4J
Old March 4th 15, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Butterfly vario. I've flown two years with it. Nearly instantaneous wind AND instantaneous vario info. Accurate if installed and calibrated properly. If you fly mountain terrain, it's worth the few extra bucks. I love it.
Old March 4th 15, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus2NZ
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 8:38:37 AM UTC+13, wrote:

The new LX Navigation EOS.

I have replaced my CAI 302 with the EOS and I am very pleased with it. It is stand alone for navigating to waypoints, you can also fly tasks, has final glide together with a Flarm screen and igc ENL logger without having to have an extra hole in the panel tied up. The wind is also very accurate with this vario.
Old March 16th 15, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hi Ventus2NZ, I am thinking of changing to an EOS and would be greatful for any info you can give? One point I cannot get an answer to is are the VARIO sounds adjustable?
Old March 16th 15, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Hi,

Please give me a call. I have an EOS on my desk and would be glad to talk
through the features.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

wrote in message

Hi Ventus2NZ, I am thinking of changing to an EOS and would be greatful for
any info you can give? One point I cannot get an answer to is are the VARIO
sounds adjustable?

Old March 18th 15, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 12:38:37 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I've flown with the V3 the last two years. Very nice accurate vario loaded with features, preloaded Polars, Speed to fly + much more, and well priced at Less than $600 from Craggy Aero USA