PowerFlarm Update?

Old March 12th 15, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_3_]

Default PowerFlarm Update?

Am 11.03.2015 um 22:11 schrieb George Haeh:
My take is that they are sorting out some unanticipated issues -- a
neverending story in software development.

Should we take bets that there will be an emergency release to push back
the expiry date?

Tick, tick, tick, tick....

According to their facepook page the update is due for the coming weekend.

In Europe we have been through this procedure already a few times, so I
am not worried, but from experience I expect that there will be a few
more updates before everything runs stable.

--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE
Old March 12th 15, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 3:19:46 AM UTC-5, Peter Scholz wrote:
Am 11.03.2015 um 22:11 schrieb George Haeh:
My take is that they are sorting out some unanticipated issues -- a
neverending story in software development.

Should we take bets that there will be an emergency release to push back
the expiry date?

Tick, tick, tick, tick....

According to their facepook page the update is due for the coming weekend.

In Europe we have been through this procedure already a few times, so I
am not worried, but from experience I expect that there will be a few
more updates before everything runs stable.

--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE

Peter,
Thanks for trying but... that doesn't help my anxiety attacks and worrying, the waking up at night, the sweating. On March 31 my trusty PFLarm will go POOF releasing the white smoke (it's eternal Soul) and move on some other place in the Universe.
This is all so sad.

Herb

Old March 12th 15, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

"According to their facebook page the update is due for the coming weekend."

Reminds me of the sign in my favorite pub "free beer tomorrow"

Mike

Old March 12th 15, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
QRP Nimbus C

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 11:06:55 AM UTC-7, Mike the Strike wrote:
What do the Swiss regard as "early March"?

Mike

To me, this is the very definition of "Having you by the short hairs!" Unlike the flight navigation computer domain where there are multiple vendors competing with one another to stimulate a robust development and support environment, I'm quite surprised that there is no other entity to have taken up the torch for this worthy cause (especially here stateside) to encourage the same. For the most part, some healthy competition keeps all the players engaged, honest and focused. Maybe it's time for some healthy discussion about an alternative.
Old March 12th 15, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 2:23:34 PM UTC-4, QRP Nimbus C wrote:
On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 11:06:55 AM UTC-7, Mike the Strike wrote:
What do the Swiss regard as "early March"?

Mike

To me, this is the very definition of "Having you by the short hairs!" Unlike the flight navigation computer domain where there are multiple vendors competing with one another to stimulate a robust development and support environment, I'm quite surprised that there is no other entity to have taken up the torch for this worthy cause (especially here stateside) to encourage the same. For the most part, some healthy competition keeps all the players engaged, honest and focused. Maybe it's time for some healthy discussion about an alternative.

With a market as small as this one, dividing it and trying to create a competition to get to the financial bottom makes very little sense to me.
UH
Old March 12th 15, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Page at www.flarm.com has been updated today...

Under "Firmware 6.0" it says:

"The current firmware in all FLARM devices will expire March 31, 2015. It will be replaced by the new firmware version 6.00, which will be released by March 16. When the new firmware has been released, this page will be updated."

Old March 12th 15, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 2:23:34 PM UTC-4, QRP Nimbus C wrote:
On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 11:06:55 AM UTC-7, Mike the Strike wrote:
What do the Swiss regard as "early March"?

Mike

To me, this is the very definition of "Having you by the short hairs!" Unlike the flight navigation computer domain where there are multiple vendors competing with one another to stimulate a robust development and support environment, I'm quite surprised that there is no other entity to have taken up the torch for this worthy cause (especially here stateside) to encourage the same. For the most part, some healthy competition keeps all the players engaged, honest and focused. Maybe it's time for some healthy discussion about an alternative.

The obvious alternative is an ADS-B based system.