First Aircraft to 'use' TFR

Old July 4th 03, 07:25 AM
robert arndt

"The Raven" wrote in message ...
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

"S. Sampson" wrote in message

Vulcan bomber. TFR worked just fine.

Wasn't TFR a post-production modification to the Vulcan?

Yes, it was originally intended for high altitude bombing. Amazing how the
aircraft was so versatile.

The Raven

The modification was introduced in 1966 to all the RAFs bombers;
however, the previously cancelled TSR-2 would have had a highly
advanced Ferranti TFR. One aircraft prototype minus the TFR performed
low level terrain following at 250' at Mach .9 shadowed by a
Lightning. Since 1962 RAF bomber pilots were being trained to fly low
and fast at between 300-500 ft. The TSR-2 with the Ferranti TFR would
have been a fantastic low level penetrator as its TFR was designed to
allow the pilots to hug the earth at over Mach 1.

Rob

Rob

Rob
Old July 4th 03, 09:38 AM
Stuart Chapman

"Jeremy Thomson" wrote in message
I put the 'use' in quotes becuase I believe TFR modes on radars have
been around since the 50's.
But was TFR ever SOP for aircraft such as the F105?
Did pilots ever train for TFR flights in the Thud?
There was a TFR mode for the A4, but it was dangerous to use in a
cross-wind because the radar only looked a couple of degrees off the
center line.
My pick for the first use of TFR in combat would be the F-111.
Did the Brits use TFR on the tornadoes in Desert Storm?
IIRC the pilots of tornadoes used night goggles douring the low-level
missions.
It might have been possible to fly low level without using the radar.

Jeremy Thomson

I understand that the BAC TSR-2 had a TFR, but I don't know if it was ever
used...

I also don't know whether this was before or after the TFR on the F-111

Stupot

Old July 4th 03, 01:13 PM
buf3

"matheson" wrote in message ...
USAF RF-4C had a TA and TFR mode. Both were manual, but they were there.
Other F-4 models did not have those modes.

--
Les
F-4C(WW),E,D,G(WW)/AC-130A/MC-13E EWO ret.

---

B-52 D models got a system in the early 60s.

Gene Myers
Old July 4th 03, 03:50 PM
robert arndt

I understand that the BAC TSR-2 had a TFR, but I don't know if it was ever
used...

I also don't know whether this was before or after the TFR on the F-111

Stupot

Refer to my earlier post in this thread...

Rob
Old July 12th 03, 01:02 AM
John Halliwell

In article , Bill Silvey
writes
"You so much as hiccup at that altitude and you're dead." Grafton resisted
telling Parker he wasn't given to hiccups when flying over North Vietnam.

Bit like Guy Gibson V.C. discussing flying 60ft over water at night in
WWII "You only need to hiccup at that height and you'd be in the drink".

--
John