Which taildragger

Old August 16th 05, 02:41 AM
xxx

Default Which taildragger

So here I am in sunny (OK, heavy marine layer overcast) southern
California. Always looking for interesting/stupid/expensive
things to do, I see that there are a lot of outfits here offering
taildragger instruction, some aerobatic, some spin training,
some just tailwheel endorsements.

They use a variety of aircraft: Cubs, Aeroncas, Decathalon and
more.

Is there a significant difference between these different airplanes
when it comes to the initial learning about handling a taildragger?

Old August 16th 05, 02:52 AM
Dudley Henriques

"xxx" wrote in message
oups.com...
So here I am in sunny (OK, heavy marine layer overcast) southern
California. Always looking for interesting/stupid/expensive
things to do, I see that there are a lot of outfits here offering
taildragger instruction, some aerobatic, some spin training,
some just tailwheel endorsements.

They use a variety of aircraft: Cubs, Aeroncas, Decathalon and
more.

Is there a significant difference between these different airplanes
when it comes to the initial learning about handling a taildragger?

My suggestion would be to go directly with the Decathlon. It's easy to fly,
and a very good tailwheel transition airplane. You get the ease of the
transition, and the aerobatics if you want to do them.
Dudley Henriques

Old August 16th 05, 07:06 AM
private

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message
ink.net...

"xxx" wrote in message
oups.com...
So here I am in sunny (OK, heavy marine layer overcast) southern
California. Always looking for interesting/stupid/expensive
things to do, I see that there are a lot of outfits here offering
taildragger instruction, some aerobatic, some spin training,
some just tailwheel endorsements.

They use a variety of aircraft: Cubs, Aeroncas, Decathalon and
more.

Is there a significant difference between these different airplanes
when it comes to the initial learning about handling a taildragger?

My suggestion would be to go directly with the Decathlon. It's easy to

fly,
and a very good tailwheel transition airplane. You get the ease of the
transition, and the aerobatics if you want to do them.
Dudley Henriques

I agree with Dudley's choice of the Decathlon.

My second choice would be the Citabria 7eca which shares the same fuselage
and nice TALL rudder but has less power and will likely be less costly. I
think that these are both very honest, good flying aircraft. They have a
higher wing loading than the Piper Cubs, this requires a longer TO ground
roll, which allows more ground run practice. IMHO the Cubs are off the
ground too soon to give you much practice keeping straight. The tall rudder
has good positive control for landing. I found them a little nicer to three
point (than the Cubs) but YMMV. Many prefer the Cubs for wheel landings.
The Citabrias/Decathlons spin very nicely and are predictable and
consistant. Solo from the front seat. The Decathlon is a superior
aerobatic trainer but the Citabria is also great fun.

Happy landings.

Old August 16th 05, 07:31 AM
Jack

Dudley Henriques wrote:

Is there a significant difference between these different airplanes
when it comes to the initial learning about handling a taildragger?

My suggestion would be to go directly with the Decathlon. It's easy to fly,
and a very good tailwheel transition airplane. You get the ease of the
transition, and the aerobatics if you want to do them.

I second DH's advice. The Decathlon is a very pleasant, no-surprises
taildragger for your needs, and no asinine heel-brakes. Who was the
ergonomically-clueless idiot who came up with those things, anyway? ;

Jack
Old August 16th 05, 01:10 PM
Deborah McFarland

"...and no asinine heel-brakes.Who was the ergonomically-clueless idiot who
came up with those things, anyway? ;
Jack

I like my heel brakes. I guess it takes a real woman to handle them ;-).

Deb
--
1946 Luscombe 8A (his)
1948 Luscombe 8E (hers)

Old August 16th 05, 03:33 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Deborah McFarland" wrote in message
"...and no asinine heel-brakes.Who was the ergonomically-clueless idiot
who came up with those things, anyway? ;
Jack

I like my heel brakes. I guess it takes a real woman to handle them ;-).

Deb
--
1946 Luscombe 8A (his)
1948 Luscombe 8E (hers)
1954 Cessna 195B, restoring (ours)

Hi Deb;

I checked out a guy in an Aeronca Chief once. It was a long time ago, but if
I remember right, it didn't have any brakes at all on my side of the
airplane.
You would have LOVED that!!! :-)
I vaguely remember thinking I should be making more money as an instructor
around takeoff time :-))))
Dudley

Old August 16th 05, 04:37 PM
Rob McDonald

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in
nk.net:

I vaguely remember thinking I should be making more money as an
instructor around takeoff time :-))))
Dudley

The instructors I know think that all the time :-)

Rob
Old August 16th 05, 05:08 PM
Deborah McFarland

I vaguely remember thinking I should be making more money as an instructor
around takeoff time :-))))
Dudley

Mine only has brakes on the left side. There is a 337 to install brakes on
the right, but frankly if you need brakes in a Luscombe, things have already
gone too far. I just use mine to show off how I can turn around on a dime on
the tarmac ;-).

Deb

Old August 16th 05, 06:21 PM
W P Dixon

I don't have near the time as any of you, but in a taildragger I love the
heel brakes. I think it makes breaking a tailwheel loose easier than if you
had to do it pointing your toes out! And with all the footwork I kind of
like the idea the brakes are by themselves and not on the same thing as the
rudder pedals, especially in those high stress moments!
I chose a Champ for my tailwheel training because I did not think I
would like flying from the back seat in a Cub for one. And number 2 was the
visiblity from the Champ from being in the front seat. I figured while you
are learning, seeing may actually be a pretty important thing! And since
I am a sport pilot trainee I chose a plane to fit the category, but I hope
before it's all over with to fly a Stearman and a Decathlon. I agree with
Dudley, the Decath. would be the way to go if your in the PPL situation.
I was thinking about putting the brakes on the right side in my"future"
Luscombe, just so the CFI I have checking me out in doesn't get the "pucker"
factor to much! From my understanding of the 337 it's not to hard of a
project to undertake, still looking for the JATO 337 on it though!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old August 16th 05, 07:06 PM

They each handle a little diferently on the ground and during that very
short critical time of not quite enough speed to fly but plenty to
ground loop!
I'd opt for the Decathalon for openers, and get time in all of them to
find out for yourself which you prefer. Certainly get the spin
training, invaluable experience no matter what you end up flying.
aerobatics ditto.
Have fun!! where are you flying in SoCal? If anywhere near Santa Paula
I HIGHLY recommend Rich Stowell for primary aerobatics.
Fly safe
Rocky