DG 100 canopy?

Old November 29th 17, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete[_9_]

Default DG 100 canopy?

Hi all,
I'm looking for a DG 100 canopy used or new in the USA. I thought I would try here as this Group also helped me find the glider that needs the canopy.
It's old, scratched, and poorly installed. There's a lot of excess "goop" around the frame. Seems like new one would be best. I know it may cost me as much as the glider costs though!

I understand I can contact DG, but it will be $6,000+ for the canopy and another $500 for the service contract and then $400 annually.
I've avoided it since 2013, hopefully going to continue....
Old November 29th 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Pete,

it may be worth getting in touch with Plexi Weiss (https://www.plexiweiss.de/en/home.html). They have the molds to produce new canopy glasses for DG gliders at quite reasonable prices, including a C of C. Shipping from Germany may be expensive, though. You will also need someone to mount it to your canopy frame.

Best
Christoph
Old November 29th 17, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

You didn't say where you're located, but Fidel at One Air Composite in
Moriarty, NM does excellent work, including acquiring the plexiglass.

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 30th 17, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 1:03:13 PM UTC-5, Pete wrote:
Hi all,
I'm looking for a DG 100 canopy used or new in the USA. I thought I would try here as this Group also helped me find the glider that needs the canopy.
It's old, scratched, and poorly installed. There's a lot of excess "goop" around the frame. Seems like new one would be best. I know it may cost me as much as the glider costs though!

I understand I can contact DG, but it will be $6,000+ for the canopy and another $500 for the service contract and then $400 annually.
I've avoided it since 2013, hopefully going to continue....

Hey Pete,

I can't help you directly, but there are several companies that "make" or "distribute" canopies in the US. I would do a google search and see what it brings up.
I do have a question for you? What kind of trailer do you have?
I just had a DG101g deliver a few weeks ago, and when the a-hole left, he did not give me the keys. When asked he said he put them in the front of the trailer, but nothing there, and claims they are not in his pockets.
So after looking at the glider, I closed the back door thinking it was unlocked. It is locked, do not understand that, but can't get it open. So now have a glider that I can't do any winter work on because I can't get into the trailer. and the fuselage is a tight fit out the front.
I have a vintage Pfieffer trailer. Hoping you might have a matching trailer? Keys? Let me know! Thanks!
Old November 30th 17, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 3:22:01 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Eagle:
Believe the Pfeiffer locks are Volkswagen parts.
Should be an easy blank to find. A locksmith should be able to get you up and running.
Jim
Old November 30th 17, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete[_9_]

Thanks for the links guys. I will continue my search there....

Eagle....Bummer about your trailer but score on the glider!! The best club class glider out there IMO!!! For what it's worth I don't even have a lock anymore. I took mine off the cylinder gave out and I had to unbolt it from the mechanism. Now I use a screw driver to lock and unlock the hatches.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm on the East Coast. Moriarity is too far....
Old December 6th 17, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 10:03:13 AM UTC-8, Pete wrote:
Hi all,
I'm looking for a DG 100 canopy used or new in the USA. I thought I would try here as this Group also helped me find the glider that needs the canopy.
It's old, scratched, and poorly installed. There's a lot of excess "goop" around the frame. Seems like new one would be best. I know it may cost me as much as the glider costs though!

I understand I can contact DG, but it will be $6,000+ for the canopy and another $500 for the service contract and then $400 annually.
I've avoided it since 2013, hopefully going to continue....

This hated service contract has effectively devalued most used DG and LS gliders. Check it out BEFORE you buy any of any DG or LS glider so that you aren't unpleasantly surprised when you need some minor spare part.

Tom

Looking for new or used canopy Troy Hartman Soaring 1 December 12th 16 01:44 AM
Canopy Ejection and Canopy Lanyard Casey[_2_] Soaring 6 April 12th 16 05:09 PM
1-35 Canopy [email protected] Soaring 14 April 30th 08 06:18 PM
Need 1-26E Canopy USA [email protected] Soaring 2 March 5th 08 01:23 AM
SGS 2-32 canopy? Gary Boggs Soaring 0 January 7th 04 12:21 AM