A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

DG 100 canopy?

Old November 29th 17, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete[_9_]
external usenet poster

Default DG 100 canopy?

Hi all,
I'm looking for a DG 100 canopy used or new in the USA. I thought I would try here as this Group also helped me find the glider that needs the canopy.
It's old, scratched, and poorly installed. There's a lot of excess "goop" around the frame. Seems like new one would be best. I know it may cost me as much as the glider costs though!

I understand I can contact DG, but it will be $6,000+ for the canopy and another $500 for the service contract and then $400 annually.
I've avoided it since 2013, hopefully going to continue....
Old November 29th 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default DG 100 canopy?

Hi Pete,

it may be worth getting in touch with Plexi Weiss (https://www.plexiweiss.de/en/home.html). They have the molds to produce new canopy glasses for DG gliders at quite reasonable prices, including a C of C. Shipping from Germany may be expensive, though. You will also need someone to mount it to your canopy frame.

Best
Christoph
Old November 29th 17, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default DG 100 canopy?

You didn't say where you're located, but Fidel at One Air Composite in
Moriarty, NM does excellent work, including acquiring the plexiglass.

On 11/29/2017 11:03 AM, Pete wrote:
Hi all,
I'm looking for a DG 100 canopy used or new in the USA. I thought I would try here as this Group also helped me find the glider that needs the canopy.
It's old, scratched, and poorly installed. There's a lot of excess "goop" around the frame. Seems like new one would be best. I know it may cost me as much as the glider costs though!

I understand I can contact DG, but it will be $6,000+ for the canopy and another $500 for the service contract and then $400 annually.

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 30th 17, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default DG 100 canopy?

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 1:03:13 PM UTC-5, Pete wrote:
Hi all,

Hey Pete,

I can't help you directly, but there are several companies that "make" or "distribute" canopies in the US. I would do a google search and see what it brings up.
I do have a question for you? What kind of trailer do you have?
I just had a DG101g deliver a few weeks ago, and when the a-hole left, he did not give me the keys. When asked he said he put them in the front of the trailer, but nothing there, and claims they are not in his pockets.
So after looking at the glider, I closed the back door thinking it was unlocked. It is locked, do not understand that, but can't get it open. So now have a glider that I can't do any winter work on because I can't get into the trailer. and the fuselage is a tight fit out the front.
I have a vintage Pfieffer trailer. Hoping you might have a matching trailer? Keys? Let me know! Thanks!
Old November 30th 17, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default DG 100 canopy?

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 3:22:01 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 1:03:13 PM UTC-5, Pete wrote:
Hi all,

Hey Pete,

I can't help you directly, but there are several companies that "make" or "distribute" canopies in the US. I would do a google search and see what it brings up.
I do have a question for you? What kind of trailer do you have?
I just had a DG101g deliver a few weeks ago, and when the a-hole left, he did not give me the keys. When asked he said he put them in the front of the trailer, but nothing there, and claims they are not in his pockets.
So after looking at the glider, I closed the back door thinking it was unlocked. It is locked, do not understand that, but can't get it open. So now have a glider that I can't do any winter work on because I can't get into the trailer. and the fuselage is a tight fit out the front.
I have a vintage Pfieffer trailer. Hoping you might have a matching trailer? Keys? Let me know! Thanks!

Eagle:
Believe the Pfeiffer locks are Volkswagen parts.
Should be an easy blank to find. A locksmith should be able to get you up and running.
Jim
Old November 30th 17, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete[_9_]
external usenet poster

Default DG 100 canopy?

Thanks for the links guys. I will continue my search there....

Eagle....Bummer about your trailer but score on the glider!! The best club class glider out there IMO!!! For what it's worth I don't even have a lock anymore. I took mine off the cylinder gave out and I had to unbolt it from the mechanism. Now I use a screw driver to lock and unlock the hatches.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm on the East Coast. Moriarity is too far....
Old December 6th 17, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default DG 100 canopy?

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 10:03:13 AM UTC-8, Pete wrote:
Hi all,

This hated service contract has effectively devalued most used DG and LS gliders. Check it out BEFORE you buy any of any DG or LS glider so that you aren't unpleasantly surprised when you need some minor spare part.

Tom