SpotR Search Program

Old May 26th 12, 08:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.multimedia.aviation,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
FlipMoran

Default SpotR Search Program

Greetings,

Anyone want to try my project SpotR? It was started as a programming
exercise. I wanted to build an application that would aid in identifying
aircraft types for the many 'unknowns' in my picture collection, based on
the aircraft's visual properties. Also, being an artist painter I have
always been fascinated by the endless variations in shape and structure of
aircraft from all ages, trying to use them in my work. This program would
thus also serve to quickly access subcollections of aircraft with certain
shapes or properties and browse them easily.

SpotR is not a pictures database or manager, but rather a picture-based
catalog and search tool. It focuses not on collecting data on performance or
historic facts or technical details, but on visual type characteristics.
Which wing shape? Monoplane, biplane or triplane? Fixed or retractable
landing gear? How many engines? And so on.

The program comes with a database file containing thousands of type names
and many accompanying tags. You can use that to build on, or start your own
new database. A *very* few pictures are included to demonstrate how the
program works and looks. They are in the subfolders of the program's
"\Pictures\" folder. (These images were found on the internet, and are
presented as usable examples; they are in no way 'my' pictures, nor do they
'belong' to SpotR.)

I thought about uploading the entire 5000+ images collection somewhere, but
I'm a bit hesitant to do that. There are lots of copyrighted pictures among
them (from Airliners.net and usenet groups mainly), and I have cleaned many
of them by removing copyright notices etc. So if you continue to use the
program I'm afraid you have to collect your images by yourself. Sorry.

Feedback on possible bugs and any constructive criticism and suggestions are
highly appreciated. Thank you.

https://sites.google.com/site/spotrsoft/
(The download link is the little arrow on the bottom right hand of the main
page.)

FM

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SpotR-SS03.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	55536

Fossett Search [email protected] Home Built 7 October 25th 07 03:17 AM
AD Search? Roy Smith Owning 3 November 6th 06 10:04 PM
AD search Doug Owning 1 November 26th 04 11:56 AM
in search of J.C. Kamienski Snowbird Piloting 22 December 3rd 03 06:02 AM
search Al Denelsbeck Simulators 3 September 9th 03 03:26 PM