1942 DC-3 / C-47 on eBay

Old October 21st 05, 08:15 PM
Michael 182

Default 1942 DC-3 / C-47 on eBay

For about 25% of the cost of a new Skylane or Cirrus you can have a 1942
C-47 that saw combat in WWII. Of course, the maintenance and fuel prices
might be a little steep - not to mention finding a hanger big enough to hold
the plane. Still, wouldn't it be cool to land at some out of the way airport
for a $1,000 hamburger...

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N1472160C

"Douglas C-47, left downwind..."

Michael

Old October 21st 05, 11:05 PM
Chris G.

If only I my name was "West" and I lived in Jacksonville, Oregon.... (or
instead, I had just been the owner of that winning powerball ticket)

chris g......drooling

Morgans wrote:
"Michael 182" wrote in message

For about 25% of the cost of a new Skylane or Cirrus you can have a 1942
C-47 that saw combat in WWII. Of course, the maintenance and fuel prices
might be a little steep - not to mention finding a hanger big enough to

hold

the plane. Still, wouldn't it be cool to land at some out of the way

airport

for a $1,000 hamburger...

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N1472160C

"Douglas C-47, left downwind..."

Who knows what condition the logs and engines are in, but the old gal looks
pretty good, in the pictures. I would have to say that the "buy it now"
price is probably a real deal.

Old October 22nd 05, 01:33 AM
George Patterson

Michael 182 wrote:

For about 25% of the cost of a new Skylane or Cirrus you can have a 1942
C-47 that saw combat in WWII.

A new Skylane costs $500,000?

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 22nd 05, 01:43 AM
Bob Chilcoat

Total airframe time: 48,718 hours TTSN. Lessee, @ 150 mph average speed
(cruise is 175 mph) that'd be circa 7 million miles. 7 million/24,000 miles
= 291 times around the world. Quite the old war horse.

Old October 22nd 05, 02:04 AM
WRE

I have about 200 hours or so in that plane (right seat). It used to belong
to Saber Air Cargo based at Charlotte(NC) Douglas Airport in NC which ceased
operation shortly after 911. One of my last trips with them was flying on 1
of 2 DC-3s full of HAZ MAT suits and petrie dishes for the CDC (Center for
Disease Control) near Atlanta and taking it up to NYC shortly after 911.
Mostly we moved auto parts around the country for the big auto makers...911
put an end to that. First Flight Out took over Saber but I guess they
couldn't make it either.

Was surprisingly an easy bird to fly. Not fast but once trimmed flew
straight and level. It drew a crowd where ever we went!
Oil is added by the gallons

Bob E.
ATP
Currently fly Hawker 700 out of UZA
Fort Mill, SC

Old October 22nd 05, 04:19 AM
Montblack

("WRE" wrote)
[snip]
Was surprisingly an easy bird to fly. Not fast but once trimmed flew
straight and level. It drew a crowd where ever we went!
Oil is added by the gallons

Do you recall the fuel burn? Average cruising speeds? Average altitude? Etc.

Any more DC-3 flying info/stories would be great. Thanks.

Montblack

Old October 22nd 05, 05:03 AM
Micheal 182

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:33:57 GMT, George Patterson
wrote:

Michael 182 wrote:

For about 25% of the cost of a new Skylane or Cirrus you can have a 1942
C-47 that saw combat in WWII.

A new Skylane costs $500,000?

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

It's an auction. No one pays the buy it now price.
Old October 22nd 05, 05:20 AM
JohnH

Montblack wrote:
("WRE" wrote)
[snip]
Was surprisingly an easy bird to fly. Not fast but once trimmed flew
straight and level. It drew a crowd where ever we went!
Oil is added by the gallons

Do you recall the fuel burn? Average cruising speeds? Average
altitude? Etc.
Any more DC-3 flying info/stories would be great. Thanks.

Yes, would love to hear them!

Old October 22nd 05, 10:25 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

WRE wrote:
I have about 200 hours or so in that plane (right seat). It used to belong
to Saber Air Cargo based at Charlotte(NC) Douglas Airport in NC which ceased
operation shortly after 911.

One of many times they ceased operations. Back in 1990, they went belly up
right after I took the ground school for the DC-3 but before I got a chance to
actually fly it. I still have the manual for it: N74589 along with several of
those Richey Lengel cheat sheets. I was flying one of their C-402s at the time.

Bob E.
ATP
Currently fly Hawker 700 out of UZA

Funny you should mention UZA; I learned how to fly down there and even flew part
135 for them back in the days when Col Goddammit was the chief pilot.... back
when it was still called 29J. I still fly there out of Rock Hill Aviation when
I can afford it.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

using Ebay to shop for planes Joe Owning 12 September 16th 05 03:18 AM
Ebay Helicopters Jim Rotorcraft 0 September 29th 04 07:17 AM
Selling on Ebay Jay Honeck Piloting 34 May 28th 04 06:29 PM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Home Built 0 January 26th 04 08:48 AM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Owning 0 January 26th 04 08:48 AM