Commercial rating: complex aircraft required aircraft for practical test?

Old November 21st 05, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Commercial rating: complex aircraft required aircraft for practical test?

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Watson wrote:

If so, you may want to read
the regulations carefully.

Right. There are a couple of 100 mile duals in there that most people
wouldn't have w/o deliberate commercial intent.

One good trip to Marsh Harbour, Abaco Island, Bahamas took care of that for me.
About 650 NM each way from here. In fact, as I think about it, that trip took
care of several of my requirements.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old November 22nd 05, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
m...
Right. There are a couple of 100 mile duals in there that most people
wouldn't have w/o deliberate commercial intent.

One good trip to Marsh Harbour, Abaco Island, Bahamas took care of that
for me.

You took an instructor?

Old November 22nd 05, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Watson wrote:

If so, you may want to read
the regulations carefully.

Right. There are a couple of 100 mile duals in there that most people
wouldn't have w/o deliberate commercial intent.

One good trip to Marsh Harbour, Abaco Island, Bahamas took care of that for me.
About 650 NM each way from here. In fact, as I think about it, that trip took
care of several of my requirements.

And you probably didn't even have to pay the instructor for a trip
there! :-)

Matt
Old November 22nd 05, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter Duniho wrote:
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
m...
Right. There are a couple of 100 mile duals in there that most people
wouldn't have w/o deliberate commercial intent.

One good trip to Marsh Harbour, Abaco Island, Bahamas took care of that
for me.

You took an instructor?

Hell. no. I took a woman.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old November 22nd 05, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
om...
You took an instructor?

Hell. no. I took a woman.

Then I fail to see the relevance of that trip to the dual instruction
required for the Commercial certificate.

Old November 22nd 05, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The Commercial training is fairly short. I did mine in about the 10
hours required. I rented a Cessna 172RG and took my checkride in that.
I don't think you really save much by going with a less expensive plane
for the manuevers because you need the 10 hours in a complex
regardless. So I just went up and did the manuevers in the RG. For the
long cross country, a less expensive plane makes sense. Also, with the
typical downtime and rental hassles, renting two planes on the day of
the checkride and having them both working is something to think about.

My suggestion is do your long cross country in your plane and the rest
in the least expensive complex plane you can find. Then take the
checkride in the complex plane. Simplist solution and not likely to be
any more expensive than trying to do it in two, or in your case, three
aircraft.

Old November 22nd 05, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter Duniho wrote:
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
om...
You took an instructor?

Hell. no. I took a woman.

Then I fail to see the relevance of that trip to the dual instruction
required for the Commercial certificate.

Oops. I must have missed the "dual" part. Oh, well.... If nothing else, count
it against 61.129 (a)(4)(i). If you come back later in the day, you could also
apply 61.129 (a)(4)(ii). If you fly the trip in an Arrow, Cutlass, C-210,
Lance, Bonanza, etc...and bring an instructor with you then you could also apply
61.129(a)(3)(i) and (ii). The possibilities are endless.

The most important part is whoever you bring should be female and hopefully
unattached. The Bahamas are a very seductive place.

Trust me.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old November 22nd 05, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark,
I learned all the maneuvers in my C172, then rented a Beech Debonair
for 10 hrs working on landings and emergency procedures, and some
traveling I needed to do.

I then did the commercial check ride in my C172 and the Deb - with
0.3hrs in the deb (two circuits around the pattern at an uncontrolled
field).

I flew the 172 to the the DE's airport, did the oral, paperwork, and
inspection. Flew the chandelles and lazy8's on the way to another
airport, where we rented a BE33 to demonstrate the complex procedures.
Then flew the DE back home.

I used the same BE33 for CFI a few months later.

You could install a constant speed prop and retractable nose gear to
your Cozy, then you would be all set...

Mitch

Old November 22nd 05, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
news
[...]
The most important part is whoever you bring should be female and
hopefully unattached. The Bahamas are a very seductive place.

Trust me.

*yawn*