A real life pilot's first sim experience

Old March 2nd 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default A real life pilot's first sim experience

"Jay Honeck" wrote

I'm looking for a better solution, because I want absolute realism.
Unfortunately, in the absence of "force-feedback" rudder pedals, I
don't know what else to try.

Without knowing exactly how they are constructed, I'll take a guess, but you
will get the general idea, and be able to alter it to meet your needs.

A narrow steel plate could be through bolted to the pedals with some small
machine screws, or liquid nails and screwed to the pedals, so the steel
extends to the sides of, and clear of the housing. Drill a hole in the
outboard part of the steel, and attach a spring, and run it back to the back
of the housing, or a plate on the backside of the housing, or to the Kiwi,
if the unit is permanently attached.

The springs will attempt to keep the pedals centered, if a moderate amount
of force is applied to both, evenly. When the one side goes towards the
floor, it's spring will go slack, and the other side's spring will try to
pull it back to neutral.

You will also get the advantage of keeping the pedals for the big ones,
since the little ones can not reach the pedals, and the springs will keep
the units neutral.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 2nd 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I'm looking for a better solution, because I want absolute realism.

Get in Atlas. :-/

you can't have absolute realism in a simulation.

I can do that almost anytime.

But I want absolute realism for the kids at the Childrens Museum. If
I could take 'em all flying, I would -- but, since that's not
possible, I want to give them the best "taste" of aviation possible,
in the sim.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 2nd 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Young

"Tony" wrote in message
oups.com...
because with an IO 540 this thing should want to turn really badly --
in the M20J I used rudder mostly to keep it on centerline during the
early part of the takeoff roll, figured my little left and right
arrows would have to do the job here.

The Bravo tracked straight down the centerline without any help from
me! This is supposed to be an accurate simulation, with no P effects?
Gimme a break.

TIO 540 in FSX, probably in FS9 also. Maybe you paused to wonder about 35"
MAP; maybe you didn't.

Auto-rudder is on by default; think of it as a perfect yaw damper.

For those of you who get pleasure from the MSFS, more power to you. It
did not work for me. There is a possiblity my mind has been poisoned
to the sim experience, but probably not, I hoped it might be fun ro do
on late nights. Oh well, it was a $20 experiment. The good news is,

Yup. I'd say you plumbed the full depths of the package. Next time, just put
the $20 in an envelope and mail it to me.

that was cheap. Most of my 'experiments' cost a lot more than that.
Want to know how to burn some VC's couple million in a startup
venture? Talk to me!

Why, you're just one of a kind, bragging up two major accomplishemnts in one
post. Just wondering here if your education helped you in anyway to reach
your station in life.

Old March 2nd 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:21:05 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Peter R." wrote in message
m...
On 2/28/2007 4:42:05 PM, "Morgans" wrote:

and
all it can possibly do is to attract more sim nuts and sim discussion,
that
most of us very strongly do NOT want HERE!

Am I a sim nut for answering his post? Uh, oh.

I had rather you not, and that's just me; one out of hundreds, but what the
heck - so much of that is going on - who can tell! g

I guess that is my point. I don't think that either of you are sim nuts, or
have difficulty understanding the difference (and reality issues) between
real flying and simming. That title is very secure in another's holding.

We need (IMHO) to try and get away from the sim postings. This group is
losing their identity - and fast.

A long post entirely about simming belongs in the sim group. That's all.
Simple concept.

Hey! With the weather we've been having the Deb hasn't been out of the
hangar in 6 weeks and I've been suffering withdrawal for 5 1/2.

I have been working on the elevator for the G-III, but keep finding
reasons (procrastinating) for not closing one side.

Then I had to replace the HD in my wife's computer which was supposed
to be simple. Just take the one out of the shop being replaced by the
new one, but things are never as simple as they should be. Two weeks
later, her's is working, and I've rebuilt the new one in the shop
twice. Now I only have to repair the OS on this machine and the one
beside it.

The thing about working on the shop computer is its next to the G-III
making the G-III difficult to ignore which is slowly, oh so slowly
causing me to get some work done on the G-III. Of course there are the
plugs that need cleaning on the Deb ...Maybe I'd better call the guy
who cleans the ramp. We are supposed to have some warm weather coming
and I gotta put some hours on the engine before the annual. I gotta
put some hours on me!

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old March 2nd 07, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

MXSMANIC is STOOPID writes:

Yes, it is, unless you're only using it as a toy.

Most users of MSFS don't use it as a toy. It's very poor as a video game.

Old March 2nd 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

george writes:

It might be Jay but I was playing with a Bantam B22 (Microlight) back
then and the MSFS lost out.

Twenty years ago. There was no Web twenty years ago; do you deny the
existence of the Web now?

Old March 2nd 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Tony writes:

My limited experience with Mooneys (I
have only logged time in a Ranger simulate that Joe bar landing gear
retraction, boys and girls and an M20J) tells me its soul is a
beautiful, intellegent, and responsive woman. I wouldn't want mine to
know I was messing around with another Mooney. "It's only simulation,
dear, with a younger and faster model" would make my next flight
difficult :-).

Aircraft as woman? That's an attitude I have not encountered up to now.

To me, aircraft are machines.

I am only a sample of 1, but was led to understand controlling a sim
airplane from a primititive keyboard was difficult. It was not.

It's difficult for things like aerobatics. But some types of flying are
doable, albeit not necessarily very realistic from a control standpoint. Some
things work well with the keyboard, such as trim adjustments.

Old March 2nd 07, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

The basic trouble is this: The CH pedals are differential, meaning
that they are linked together, When you push the left one down, the
right one comes back, and vice versa.

Thus, the only way to keep pressure feedback on the pedals is to
"train" yourself to keep pressue on BOTH pedals, so that when you push
one, the pressure of your other foot is keeping you from slamming it
all the way to the floor.

What type of pressure feedback do you need? Aren't real rudder pedals
connected in the same way? (One goes forward when the other goes back.)

Old March 2nd 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

But I want absolute realism for the kids at the Childrens Museum. If
I could take 'em all flying, I would -- but, since that's not
possible, I want to give them the best "taste" of aviation possible,
in the sim.

For the Children's Museum, I think you'll need a way to dial the realism up
and down. Absolute beginners aren't going to do well with realism set high
and will become frustrated, whereas those with more experience are going to
find low realism disappointing.

I suppose you could divided kids into groups by experience level, and then set
the realism before each group is accommodated.

Zooming off the runway is frustrating if you're not used to rudder control,
but not having the rudder control when you need it for something after gaining
a bit of experience is just as disappointing.

Old March 2nd 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto