Lifeguard flights: How to file a flight plan?

Old April 7th 04, 07:21 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter R." wrote in message

Another question, Steven and Newps: When filing an IFR flight plan
as a Lifeguard flight, is it worth it to file and expect GPS direct or do
I have to file the preferred routes, even though ATC will most likely
hand out direct routing once en route?

File whatever you wish to fly. If radar coverage permits a direct flight
you should be so cleared without regard to preferred routes.

Old April 7th 04, 07:58 PM
John T

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
news

If radar coverage permits a direct
flight you should be so cleared without regard to preferred routes.

That's good to know - more from a patient's perspective than that of a
pilot. This kind of teamwork between ATC and pilots to get critical
supplies where they're needed is A Very Good Thing.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old April 7th 04, 08:01 PM
John Clear

In article ,
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

No, as Norwegian registrations are all letters. I believe all nations use
letters exclusively after their national registration codes except for the
US and Liberia.

That is not true. Off the top of my head, China uses B-#####, the
FUSSR was CCCP-#####, Russia is RA-#####.

I'm sure their are others that use numbers as well.

Hmm, I checked www.airliners.net, and it seems Cuba is CU-L####, where
L is a letter (T for transport, H for helicopter).

I guess only communist pilots know how to count.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.panix.com/~jac

Old April 8th 04, 05:39 AM
Chris

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message

Doesn't using an LN prefix make it ambiguous with a Norwegian
registered aircraft's tail number?

No, as Norwegian registrations are all letters.

I have not see any, but I believe Norway has the option of using all numbers
if they wish, in addition to all letters.

I believe all nations use
letters exclusively after their national registration codes except for the
US and Liberia.

That's not true, numerous other countries use numbers in their aircraft
registrations. (see below for examples)

TRIVIA: When Braniff was operating Concordes for domestic US service, the
British Airways or Air France planes needed to be registered in the US for
legal reasons. The plane would temporarily be "sold" to Braniff, the
paperwork stowed, and US based paperwork (airworthiness cert, registration,
etc.) produced. For example, a Concorde was registered in the UK as G-N94AA.
(Note letters & numbers in the G registration!) When it operated for
Braniff, they obscured the G, so the registration was now N94AA. Of course,
Braniff pilots flew the planes when registered in the US. I believe 5 UK
planes were outfitted with this type of arrangement, and 5 Air France
Concordes or so had something similar.

Japan uses numbers. For example, see
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/550331/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/551061/L/

Vietnam uses numbers with letters
For example see:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/551074/L/

South Korea uses numbers in their registrations
For example see:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/545888/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/531784/L/

Columbia uses numbers:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/550586/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/541123/L/

Old April 8th 04, 05:40 AM
Chris

BTIZ wrote:

Doesn't using an LN prefix make it ambiguous with a Norwegian registered
aircraft's tail number?

Could be... but not likely to be a problem in the US,

Norwegian registered aircraft cannot file flight plans in the US?