PDA mounting alternatives

Old October 12th 05, 10:14 PM
Jack Glendening

Default PDA mounting alternatives

I'm thinking about "upgrading" from a Cambridge LNAV/GPS to a more
modern setup using a PDA. But I've noticed that the usual setup has
the PDA mounted vertically on the canopy, which I would not like since
it obscures a portion of the outside view and for me the visual
aesthetics of being able to look out and sightsee while I am flying
are very important (and the main reason why I own a DG with its large
canopy area). I would think there are other alternatives such as
strapping the PDA on one's thigh - but perhaps the usual setup is
mandated by some factor, such as sun-washout of the screen if it were
to be more horizontal (per the thigh-mounted approach). So I was
wondering if anyone has experience with a non-canopy-mounted PDA which
they like and would recommend (and which does not impede the external
view).
Jack
Old October 12th 05, 10:28 PM

Dr Jack,

Check out this photo: http://www.asa-soaring.org/images/front/pic7.jpg

Are you looking for something like that? If so you can use a 3, 6 or 9
inch gooseneck mounted on either your instrument panel or the inside
wall of your fuselage. Works great.

-ted/2NO

Old October 12th 05, 10:40 PM
Marc Ramsey

Jack Glendening wrote:
I'm thinking about "upgrading" from a Cambridge LNAV/GPS to a more
modern setup using a PDA. But I've noticed that the usual setup has
the PDA mounted vertically on the canopy, which I would not like since
it obscures a portion of the outside view and for me the visual
aesthetics of being able to look out and sightsee while I am flying
are very important (and the main reason why I own a DG with its large
canopy area). I would think there are other alternatives such as
strapping the PDA on one's thigh - but perhaps the usual setup is
mandated by some factor, such as sun-washout of the screen if it were
to be more horizontal (per the thigh-mounted approach). So I was
wondering if anyone has experience with a non-canopy-mounted PDA which
they like and would recommend (and which does not impede the external
view).

Actually, I don't know anyone who mounts their PDA such that it obscures
a significant of the outside view. In my DG, I mounted the PDA on the
side of the instrument pod, the only thing it obscured was the view of
my toes. If you strap the PDA to your thigh, you'll be spending a bit
too much time looking down and away from the sky.

The other thing to consider is how well your eyes can handle to the
(low) contrast of the PDA screen. These days, I find that the closer I
mount the PDA to my eyes, the better (and quicker) I can see what it is
displaying, so mounting on an arm on the canopy rail, slightly below the
sight line to the outside, might be the best solution. Just make sure
there is some way for the power/data cable to break or disconnect if you
need to eject the canopy...

Marc
Old October 13th 05, 01:29 AM
Jim Kelly

Marc makes good points, to which I would add:
1. Remember that it helps to not change your focal length such
that the outside view is out of focus. Folks over 45yrs or so
will apparently have difficulty in this regard.
2. You need to be able to use your pointer finger easily, and
sometimes to eject the stylus.

Jim Kelly

Old October 13th 05, 02:19 AM
Bill Daniels

"Jack Glendening" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

New panel with the instruments moved to the sides leaving a PDA shaped
vacant spot in the middle.

Bill Daniels

Old October 13th 05, 02:25 AM
Greg Arnold

I was
wondering if anyone has experience with a non-canopy-mounted PDA which
they like and would recommend (and which does not impede the external
view).
Jack

New panel with the instruments moved to the sides leaving a PDA shaped
vacant spot in the middle.

Bill Daniels

I tried this several years ago, and it didn't work for me. It is hard
to read small print that far away, and even harder to use a touch screen
at arm's length.

..
Old October 13th 05, 03:22 AM
Eric Greenwell

Jim Kelly wrote:
Marc makes good points, to which I would add:
1. Remember that it helps to not change your focal length such
that the outside view is out of focus. Folks over 45yrs or so
will apparently have difficulty in this regard.

For a lot of pilots, that puts the PDA quite far away. I don't need
glasses for distance, but I do need reading glasses. "Sunreader"
sunglasses combine nonprescription sunglasses with bifocal areas low on
the glasses; additionally, the bifocal area has very little tinting.
This arrangement is perfect for PDA use in a glider. Cheap, too, at $25.

Pilots needing prescription sunglasses could get them with the bifocal
area, preferably with very little tinting. More than $25, of course!

In any case, definitely look at the PDA you are considering, and do it
in the sunlight. Their screens differ markedly in visibility, and some
of the older ones are better than the newer ones. I use a 3835, which is
noticeably better than the newer 2210 I first purchased.

2. You need to be able to use your pointer finger easily, and
sometimes to eject the stylus.

I suppose this varies with the software you use, as my finger works fine
in flight using SeeYou Mobile. On the ground, for entering tasks and
other fiddly things not needed in flight, I do use the stylus.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 13th 05, 04:41 AM
Eric Greenwell

Eric Greenwell wrote:

2. You need to be able to use your pointer finger easily, and
sometimes to eject the stylus.

I suppose this varies with the software you use, as my finger works fine
in flight using SeeYou Mobile. On the ground, for entering tasks and
other fiddly things not needed in flight, I do use the stylus.

And using a finger was even easier with Glide Navigator, which I used
for years before Mobile. Didn't ever use a stylus with it.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 13th 05, 05:51 PM
Jack Glendening

Thanks to all those who responded or sent me photos of their setup. I'm
happy to hear that view blockage can be much less than in the two
gliders I had looked at. And I had not previously seen a gooseneck
installation. Sounds like I need to find and sit in a few more gliders
with PDAs. Jack