Where

Old November 4th 05, 06:56 AM
boB

Default Where

Where did everyone go? My newsreader must be broke
--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Old November 4th 05, 12:27 PM
Ol Shy & Bashful

Hey
I've seen a bunch head over to JustHelicopters.com on the alternate
board - NOT the original where they are constantly playing like
kiddies. Take a look if you haven't already.
Rocky

Old November 6th 05, 06:54 AM
boB

Default Building Time Fast

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 06:56:41 GMT, boB
wrote:

Where did everyone go? My newsreader must be broke

Yeah, it's been dead around here for a while.

Nothing exciting to talk about I guess...

I assume Si is still scrambling air molecules in that 300 as he works
towards his rating..

I'm still building X-country and PIC hours as I work towards my next
rating/certs with my commercail checkride scheduled for 11/26 and the
Instrument shortly after that...

Man-o-Man!!!! You all are doing great. It's been 9 years since I flew
for Grand Canyon helicopters but the hiring practice can be bent a bit.
One girl hired to fly only had the Bell Helicopter Turbine qual when
she was hired, so I think if you build your time and get gas turbine
qualified you may have some luck flying the canyon. It's boring as
hell, flying that big loop all day long for 6 months, but it builds time
fast. One thing to watch for, falling off to sleep because you are so
bored. I recommend common thumbtacks. As soon as you realize you can't
keep the eyes open for more than a couple minutes, pop a couple tacks in
the mouth and try to chew them. That always worked for me.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Old November 6th 05, 06:35 PM
Ol Shy & Bashful

boB
If it matters, I usually log between 450-500 hours each summer doing ag
work. The rest of the year I can goof off and do whatever kind of
flying appeals to me. This year in example, I logged in excess of 450
between 7June/20Sept and about 100 since then.
I don't miss the 12-14 hour days in the cockpit with blades
turning.......
tired Old shy & bashful

Old November 7th 05, 05:28 PM
Vaughn Simon

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 06:54:09 GMT, boB

I have no interest in flying tours whatsoever.

Don't sell tours short! I am a fixed-wing, zero engines, kinda guy who
had a gig for a few years as a combination CFI(G) and rides pilot. Although
I enjoy both, I would rather give rides than instruct any day of the week.
First of all, you get a lot more stick time, but more importantly you are
taking people up for an experience that will be a highlight of their life.
Once you learn to feed off of your passenger's excitement, and learn to
figure out what they want (without getting them sick or scaring them) you
will be hooked.

Vaughn

Old November 8th 05, 01:21 AM
Vaughn

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:28:29 GMT, "Vaughn Simon"

The occasional photo/sightseeing flight with a different route most of
the time would be ok. Pretty much the same as giving friends rides.
I'd hate to fly the same route day after day after day and monologue
the same stuff day after day after day....

Hmmm. Perhaps gliders are different, I had neither a route nor a
monologue. I would try to get the passenger talking and let things go from
there. Since it was a glider, each flight was dependent on the passenger's
wants, that day's thermals, that day's wind, gravity (always the same), and
(last but not always least) the realities of the flight schedule. They were all
different.

Vaughn

Old November 8th 05, 04:01 AM
Ol Shy & Bashful

Kev
I covered that pretty thoroughly during this past summer while I was
spraying up in Minnesota if you recall.
Rock

Old November 9th 05, 10:02 AM
boB

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:53:58 -0800, The OTHER Kevin in San Diego
skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote:

On 7 Nov 2005 20:01:42 -0800, "Ol Shy & Bashful"
wrote:

Kev
I covered that pretty thoroughly during this past summer while I was
spraying up in Minnesota if you recall.
Rock

I recall something about working the truck and ferrying the helo back
to base when the day was done but that's about all I'm remembering at
this point.. (Too much studying for my commercail cheride at the end
of the month I guess.. ehehhe)

lol.. Nice spelling Kev... I guess I should stay off usenet after a
3 hour study marathon....

There was a pilot flying the Canyon who talked about his AG spray days.
You had to be good, landing on the bed of the truck to re-fill the
chemicals. He said he was in such a hurry because of a storm coming that
he cut short his before take-off checks and lifted up to a hover in his
Bell 47. One tie strap was still attached to the left crosstube....
you can guess. Spraying was done for the day.

Since all my Rotary Wing flying was in the military I had many questions
for the guys at Papillon. One said he would go out for 3 or 4 months at
a time using a Hughes 500 (OH-6) from a makeshift helipad welded to the
keel of the fishing boat. He made lots of money even for being out that
long. I decided I might like to try that being single and care free
that I was. I also was rated in the OH-6 with a couple hundred hours so
insurance rates for me were much cheaper than many. I made plans to go
to San Diego after the tourist season was over.

Another pilot had done a bunch of logging. He explained that you flew
looking out the right door straight down to pick up and move the timber.
He used an extension hooked to the collective and they had mounted a
torque gage at the bottom of the right door frame so he could monitor
Torque. Sort of a HDD (Head Down Display) When I asked about TGT
monitoring he said "never looked at it". Doing the work required you to
be in the logging camps for months at a time so he bought a 5th wheel
camper and set it up, satellite TV and all. Thinking about it I decided
I wouldn't like flying with my head out the door looking down all the
time. Seemed a little like a self induced unusual attitude situation.

Then about half way through the season PHI (Petroleum Helicopters Inc),
who I really wanted to fly for, called me. 2 weeks on, two weeks off,
and great money after the first couple years. I had sent them a resume
as well as a bunch of other places that I never heard from. At any rate
they wanted me to come in for an interview which 99% meant I had a job
unless I was caught with the Chief Pilots teen-age daughter. I talked to
them and told them I had promised to stay for the whole season with
Papillon and I couldn't break that commitment. Especially after seeing
several other pilots getting job offers and just picking up and
quitting. It caused a lot of problems for the Chief Pilot. A note.
Turnover rate among helicopter pilots in the touring business if high.
If a person just wanted a job to build hours, I can still recommend it.

Then at the end of one day I was finished and getting ready to button my
aircraft up another pilot got sick and couldn't fly his last flight. It
was an hour long one and I had no intention of climbing in that under
powered Bell 206B. But, there was no one else. So I got my stuff and
climbed in. I had 2 German tourists and was trying my broken German
trying to point things out to them. Watching my HOBBS I saw I was ahead
of time so I slowed down to make sure I gave them the whole hour flight.
But somewhere around the Little Colorado river I had a bad feeling. I
called our control and asked them what time I lifted off. When they told
me I realized I had already been airborne for almost an hour and the
flight was only half over. The HOBBS was wrong. Finally after landing I
thanked the passengers and i noticed one of the girls had a big smile on
her face. She looked very happy and that's one of the perks. Seeing the
amazement on their faces, something they will always remember, it was a
good feeling. BUT!! Back to the story. The flightline was deserted.
No one anywhere. The happy girl asked the loader to take a picture of
her beside the helicopter and I opened the door so she could get a
picture beside me. After the picture she looked at me and for some
reason, we kissed right there. That happy German Tourist... is now my
happy wife.

So no flying off a fishing boat, no dragging logs, and I have to say,
not only did I blow PHI off, I also turned down an offer as a full time
pilot at Papillon, and when finished at the Canyon, I jumped on one of
those BIG planes and went to Germany for a year.

So the moral of the story.... Don't let a pretty girl lean into the
cockpit for a picture. It's too hard to keep from kissing.

Copter 6. The first kiss pictu

http://flightsims.vze.com/av/papillon206b11.jpg

Bob
Old November 9th 05, 07:34 PM
Shiver

boB wrote:

Copter 6. The first kiss pictu

Well first you get us interested.

Then you get us excited.

Then you give us a shot of the kisser and kissee
about the size of the head of a match.

Well Bob you always were a good story teller.

Bye the way..... Hows the book coming..???

Speaking of Hurricanes.

How did the summers hurricanes effect your flying down in Florida.
Old November 10th 05, 01:38 AM
boB

Shiver wrote:
boB wrote:

Copter 6. The first kiss pictu

Well first you get us interested.

Then you get us excited.

Then you give us a shot of the kisser and kissee
about the size of the head of a match.

I'm sorry. I wanted to share some Rotor-Wing stories and the part about
how I met my wife just fell into place.

Well Bob you always were a good story teller.

My life has been one big lucky streak. I should be dead many times over
because of stupid things I did in semi-rigid rotor-wing helicopters and
somehow made it through. Crashed 2 with no injuries and both were system
malfunctions, not something I did. I still have to dig out the pictures
of one Cobra that rolled right and ended up resting on the right rocket
pods. But that's another story.

........ I just started another story and deleted it. It was about
helicopters and Vietnam but too many stories at a time is boring.

Bye the way..... Hows the book coming..???

What book???? I'm not being a butt, I really don't remember a book.
Desert Storm and Sarin took much of my short term memory. Luckily I can
still remember the good 'ol days though.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)