Conversion of Huey to meet FAA certification standards

Old November 20th 05, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Conversion of Huey to meet FAA certification standards

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Old November 21st 05, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

matt wrote:
Does anyone know if this is possible?

A friend of mine did a TH55 (Hughes 269) conversion for the police
dept. he worked for. He had to go through an awful lot of paperwork and
flight testing. He said the FAA bent over backwards for him (probably
because it was for a govt. entity).

Bottom line is that you will have to work with your local FAA office
(US Govt in the phone book) ask for aircraft airworthiness and ask them
what you will be up against. They are the office that will wind up
working with you anyway.
Good luck,
Tom

Old November 21st 05, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

It is my understanding this is often done. Typically requires that all
components have parts tracability. Requires documentation of parts to
verify their either certified by type certificate or PMA to include
verified time on part. If part is verified but time unknown it is
considered to be a half time part. Effectively these aircraft all use
the same parts a certified aircraft but in public service or military
service the documentation standard may be less and are not regulated to
same standards (some departments standards may even exceed FAA
standards). The level of documentation must be brought to and verified
to be (at least equal to) the same as for a standard catogory aircraft.

"matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know if this is possible?

Old November 21st 05, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

"matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know if this is possible?

There's a huey in the UK that I think was restored in the States and shipped
over. Whether they went through FAA certification first I don't know, but
you might find the details on their site: www.huey.co.uk

Si