Mounting cameras

Old December 3rd 05, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mounting cameras

Another style more widely used in the entertainment/movie industry is
called Cloth Backed Gaffers Tape. It features a strong cloth backing,
not plastic and a better adhesive. It will not turn to mush and leave
gobs of hard to clean off adhesive all over your finish. Its available
in a number of colors including a few flourescent ones.

But , you can't find it at your hardware store , or Walmart and its 2-3
times more expensive than a good quality pro level gaff tape.

--
keithw
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old December 3rd 05, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

keithw wrote:
Another style more widely used in the entertainment/movie industry is
called Cloth Backed Gaffers Tape. It features a strong cloth backing,
not plastic and a better adhesive. It will not turn to mush and leave
gobs of hard to clean off adhesive all over your finish. Its available
in a number of colors including a few flourescent ones.

But , you can't find it at your hardware store , or Walmart and its 2-3
times more expensive than a good quality pro level gaff tape.

I had no idea there was really was a product called "gaffers tape", and
I'm amazed at the difference between it and duct tape. Try

http://tapeinfo.com/TapeInfo/Datashe...1204/6910.aspx
http://tapeinfo.com/TapeInfo/Datashe...1203/3903.aspx

Summary for gaffer vs. duct: twice the thickness, twice the adhesion,
three times the tensile strength! And a Permacel type with 4 times the
adhesion - yikes, there goes the gel coat!

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 3rd 05, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yep, Eric,

As a longtime professional in the film/video production business, I can
tell you that gaffer's tape is the "goooooood" stuff. Been using it for
years. The brand that for years has been the staple in the production
business is Permacel. It is usually available from film and video
equipment rental houses, etc.

Although it has really good adhesion, if pulled slowly it really comes
off most surfaces easily and with no residue. I wouldn't personally
hesitate to put it on gelcoat. It would definitely be my tape of choice
for holding stuff on a wing. Now let me see. where did I put those
spare winglets?????

Larry

"01" USA

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message