A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Need Becker AR3201 Female 15 pin Latching Connector

Old December 17th 15, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Six-Seven Romeo
external usenet poster

Default Need Becker AR3201 Female 15 pin Latching Connector

I am installing a used Becker AR3201 transceiver for a friend. It didn't come with a harness. I can make the harness myself and could use a standard DB-15 connector. However, I would prefer to use the latching type connector that Becker specifies and you can see on the AR4201 and AR6201 (which use a DB-25 instead of the needed DB-15). Does anyone know of a source for the DB-15 latching connector? Thanks, John
Old December 17th 15, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 9:27:17 PM UTC-6, Six-Seven Romeo wrote:
I am installing a used Becker AR3201 transceiver for a friend. It didn't come with a harness. I can make the harness myself and could use a standard DB-15 connector. However, I would prefer to use the latching type connector that Becker specifies and you can see on the AR4201 and AR6201 (which use a DB-25 instead of the needed DB-15). Does anyone know of a source for the DB-15 latching connector? Thanks, John

As you already know, the DB-15 connector itself is the same as all other DB-15 connectors - the difference is in the screw stud itself. I've never found a source for these studs but maybe a call to Becker would result in them sending you a couple. Barring that, you could certainly remove the studs from another discarded Becker harness, and install into your DB-15. You could easily make a set if you have access to a small hobbyist metal lathe. Or, worst case, get a couple of properly sized pan head screws and just file the heads down to the correct diameter and thickness. I have a harness with latch studs handy right now that I could take pictures and measure for you if necessary. Feel free to contact me off list if you need those details.

Robert
Old December 17th 15, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 10:27:17 PM UTC-5, Six-Seven Romeo wrote:

Latching? Like threaded fasteners? Look at electronics places online like Digikey or Newark Electronics.
They have screws, studs, standoff's (short piece with a male thread on one end and a female thread on the other end).
Shipping will likely be more than the part.

If you have a PC repair place near you, they may also have them.
Old December 17th 15, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Six-Seven Romeo
external usenet poster

@Charlie M. This isn't a very common type of secure connection for D connectors that use a screen. There is a slide as part of the radio's male D connector that engages "studs" on the cable's female D connector.

All - I found that both Dittel and Becker use the same latching mechanism and Cumulus-Soaring.com has the Dittel version of the female D connector.
Old December 17th 15, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Six-Seven Romeo
external usenet poster

Wow. That got messed up. Lets try again.

=================

@Charlie M. This isn't the very common simple screw type of secure connection for D connectors. On the Becker radios there is a slide as part of the radio's male D connector that engages "studs" on the cable's female D connector.

All - I found that both Dittel and Becker use the same latching mechanism and Cumulus-Soaring.com has the Dittel version of the female D connector.

Old December 17th 15, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 12:04:35 PM UTC-5, Six-Seven Romeo wrote:

=================

@Charlie M. This isn't the very common simple screw type of secure connection for D connectors. On the Becker radios there is a slide as part of the radio's male D connector that engages "studs" on the cable's female D connector.

Fair enough, just trying to say I have bought quite a few "D-type capturing devices" that can be sourced through the 2 listed sources.
Without seeing it, I can only guess.
Was only hoping it was a source to you.
;-)
Old December 17th 15, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Benedict Smith
external usenet poster

At 17:04 17 December 2015, Six-Seven Romeo wrote:

=================

@Charlie M. This isn't the very common simple screw type of secure
connection for D connectors. On the Becker radios there is a slide as

part
of the radio's male D connector that engages "studs" on the cable's

female
D connector.

All - I found that both Dittel and Becker use the same latching mechanism
and Cumulus-Soaring.com has the Dittel version of the female D connector.

I have seen this type of latching connector quite often in ex military
radio
sets, however this is in the UK, it may be worth checking any military
surplus
stores to see what you can find.
Ben.

Old December 17th 15, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RobKol
external usenet poster

What you looking for is a lock lever and locking tabs that are available from Positronic. Catalogue available at http://www.connectpositronic.com/?media_dl=2293 , page 28.
These usually require that Positronic backshell is also used.

They are excellent connectors. There are many distributors.
Robert

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 9:04:35 AM UTC-8, Six-Seven Romeo wrote:

=================

Old December 19th 15, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Aug 2008

On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 9:27:17 PM UTC-6, Six-Seven Romeo wrote:

Charlie M is right, I bought some from Newark Just last week,
"slide lock post assembly, Stock number 93f3701' Manufacturer number D53018..
Just a few cents each.

Good lift
Scott