Navion in flames.

Old April 2nd 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Default Navion in flames.

Newps wrote:

Margy Natalie wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

Jay, I now know you understand what a really cool airplane is!!

What does the Navion cruise at at 75%? How slow can it go on final with
one person and a half tank of gas?

What does this have to do with "cool?"

Matt
Old April 2nd 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Matt Whiting wrote:
Newps wrote:

Margy Natalie wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

Jay, I now know you understand what a really cool airplane is!!

What does the Navion cruise at at 75%? How slow can it go on final
with one person and a half tank of gas?

What does this have to do with "cool?"

Cool is in the eye of the beholder. Guy in a hangar near me has a
Stearman. I look at that turd and just shake my head. Has about 600 HP
and can barely get out of its own way. Makes a lot of noise, though.
Seems to be its only skill.

Old April 2nd 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Newps wrote:

Margy Natalie wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

Jay, I now know you understand what a really cool airplane is!!

What does the Navion cruise at at 75%? How slow can it go on final with
one person and a half tank of gas?

With the IO-550 ours bops along at 160 kts ground speed quite nicely.

Approach speeds are very much skyhawk-like. I think the Vso is 47
in knots. You gotta be below 87 to even drop the gear.
Old April 2nd 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Blueskies wrote:

The Meyers 200 blows the doors off a Navion, tho', and has the way cool looks also...

Doors are for barns.
Old April 2nd 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve Foley

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just saw a brief news clip of a burning Navion L-17 at Marlborough,
MA. (about 5 miles from my home) Apparently everyone got out o.k., so
that's a relief. The shot showed the plane with the nose gear
collapsed and flames shooting out the cabin.

We seem to have a number of Navions hereabouts. Always wondered what
the attraction was. Seems a Bonanza is more efficient.

John Dupre'

quoteG. Robert Stetson Jr., the owner and manager of the Marlboro Airport,
685 Farm Road, said the crash occurred at least 800 feet from any other
aircraft. Mr. Stetson said yesterday he was unsure of the cause of the
crash.

"I'm sure nobody knows yet," he said, adding that the pilot was wearing a
seat belt and was not traveling at excessive speed at the time of the crash.
/quote

I think the reporter missed the sarcasm.

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dl...73276826687677

Old April 2nd 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message ...
: Blueskies wrote:
:
:
: The Meyers 200 blows the doors off a Navion, tho', and has the way cool looks also...
:
:
:
: Doors are for barns.

A neighbor friend who has a Meyers says it taxies faster than the Navion... ;-)

btw, the second plane I ever rode in was a way cool Navion, so don't get me wrong...

Old April 2nd 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Ron Natalie wrote:
Newps wrote:

Margy Natalie wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

Jay, I now know you understand what a really cool airplane is!!

What does the Navion cruise at at 75%? How slow can it go on final
with one person and a half tank of gas?

With the IO-550 ours bops along at 160 kts ground speed quite nicely.

Approach speeds are very much skyhawk-like. I think the Vso is 47
in knots. You gotta be below 87 to even drop the gear.

OK, so it's a little slow in cruise, 10-12 knots less than my 520
powered Bo, but looks like you can land it short. I assume because it
was designed 100 years ago the gear was made to land in rough areas and
you could fly final at about 60 MPH indicated. So 1200 foot strips
shouldn't be a problem?
Old April 2nd 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Newps" wrote)
I assume because it was designed 100 years ago the gear was made to land
in rough areas and you could fly final at about 60 MPH indicated.

As opposed to entering production 60 years ago. g

2007 - 1947 ....first Bo

Montblack

Old April 2nd 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Newps wrote:

Margy Natalie wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

Jay, I now know you understand what a really cool airplane is!!

What does the Navion cruise at at 75%? How slow can it go on final with
one person and a half tank of gas?

With the IO-550 ours bops along at 160 kts ground speed quite nicely.

Clearly, you need to invest in some more speed mods. :-)

(For those not familiar, there are about a bazzilion that are available for
Navions - from different window gaskets to fairings to re-assembling the
thing with flush rivets...)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com