RG-58 thinet cable

Old January 13th 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
rmhou at yahoo.com

Default RG-58 thinet cable

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=710&sku=03188

Would these cable work on aviation NAV/COM/antenna?

Thanks in advance.

Robin Hou
Old January 13th 09, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Dear Robin,

Yeah, it would probably work for you, signal-wise. But I don't know
what you need with regard to weather and UV exposure -- some cables
are better than others and the only person qualified to say, is you.
But I can tell you that the outfit you've cited is kinda on the
expensive side. If you'll check the address below I think you'll find
their prices are a bit more reasonable.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...G58/U/-/1.html

Also, once you make your connection with a BNC connector, it's kind of
hard to add safety wire. So instead of wire (which can sometimes
puncture the braid and lead to problems) the usual procedure is to use
one of the sticky-tapes, which is also carried by All Electronics.
The trick is to over-lap your wrappings, starting well beyond the
metal fitting... give it an inch or so... then squeeze the tape down
good & tight. You'll end up with a water-proof junction that also
resists coming loose.

-R.S.Hoover
-KA6HZF
Old January 13th 09, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:08:28 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Dear Robin,

Yeah, it would probably work for you, signal-wise. But I don't know
what you need with regard to weather and UV exposure -- some cables
are better than others and the only person qualified to say, is you.
But I can tell you that the outfit you've cited is kinda on the
expensive side. If you'll check the address below I think you'll find
their prices are a bit more reasonable.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...G58/U/-/1.html

Good quality RG-58 can be found for about 21 cents per foot
(discount), BUT be careful about what kind you get particularly if its
going to flex or be subject to vibration. Straight RG58 has a solid,
tiny, center conductor while the AU and some others have stranded.
Good BNC connectors are at least several dollars each. That makes me
wonder about the quality of the above.

Another alternative is one of the RG8X versions which is the same
physical size as RG-6, but 52 ohms, is very flexible and runs about 32
cents per foot. It also has less loss than RG58. My choice is the
RG8XIIA which has a foil plus braid shield at
http://www.therfc.com/coax.htm
BTW, regular RG8 cables are nearly a half inch in diameter while the X
versions are much smaller.

Most of the cable suppliers will have the specs as to whether the
cable is UV resistant or not.

Also, once you make your connection with a BNC connector, it's kind of
hard to add safety wire. So instead of wire (which can sometimes
puncture the braid and lead to problems) the usual procedure is to use
one of the sticky-tapes, which is also carried by All Electronics.

I use "flooded" heat shrink tubing. It has a layer of hot melt glue
on the inside and when slid up over the connector as far as possible
without interfering with the operation of the connector makes a good
solid connection that is far stronger than tape. OTOH the stuff is
only available in 1 meter lengths. It's easily cut, but runs about $10
a length. Although it can be removed with care, I consider all
connections permanent and if I have to remove one I throw it away.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/connectors.htm shows the
installation on larger cable and connectors. The smaller size tubing
0400 starts out at 0.40" an shrinks to 0.12" minimum. This is a
rather heavy, industrial grade tube so some might want something
lighter.

The trick is to over-lap your wrappings, starting well beyond the
metal fitting... give it an inch or so... then squeeze the tape down
good & tight. You'll end up with a water-proof junction that also
resists coming loose.

-R.S.Hoover
-KA6HZF

Roger (K8RI) ARRL Life Member
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old January 13th 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

In the first place, "work" is a relative term. A piece of limp spaghetti
inside a copper septic tank will "work" as an antenna, but certainly not
very well.

Since the vendor did not specify loss, I'd be a little wary of using it for
a purpose for which it was not intended at VHF. You spent a lot of
Franklins for transmitter power; heating up your coax isn't a very efficient
use of that money.

It only comes in 25 foot lengths with molded-on connectors. I'm thinking of
what you are going to do with a 25 foot cable in a 15 foot airplane. Coil
it up? Not a very good idea. Whack it off and put on a "standard" BNC
connector? Not easy because of the coax diameter.

I'd probably not use it. RG-174 is the miniature 50 ohm coax of choice and
there are BNC connectors made specifically for this cable.

By the way, crossposting to all the aviation newsgroups isn't a very good
idea. Most of us read them all; crossposting just wastes bandwidth.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old January 14th 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Peter Dohm

"rmhou at yahoo.com" wrote in message
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=710&sku=03188

Would these cable work on aviation NAV/COM/antenna?

Thanks in advance.

Robin Hou

IIRC, RG-58U is indeed the old standard for NAV/COM antenna cables, and the
crimped connectors--which will be on any commercially manufactured
cables--are the preferred and most durable means of termination. The BNC
connectors with threaded backshells and compression grommets are also
approved, and give good service when applied correctly; but are a little
tricky to install and are primarily used for field repairs when the correct
crimping tool is not readily available.

There are also better cables available today, with less loss and better
shielding, and some with lighter weight--and can easily be made in custom
lengths to fit your exact application.

But; the short answer to your quetion is YES.

Peter

RG-58 thinet cable rmhou at yahoo.com Piloting 2 January 13th 09 08:34 AM
Need A Cable Newps Owning 4 May 2nd 06 03:05 AM
Can anyone help, PLEASE - searching for zip-cord (aka: mono-cord, speaker wire, shooting wire, dbl hookup, rainbow cable, ribbon cable) Striker Cat Home Built 6 October 15th 04 08:51 PM
Can anyone help, PLEASE - searching for zip-cord (aka: mono-cord, speaker wire, shooting wire, dbl hookup, rainbow cable, ribbon cable) Striker Cat General Aviation 0 October 12th 04 05:11 PM