Interesting development for Nephi UT

Old December 5th 16, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

Default Interesting development for Nephi UT

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.WEW_in1n4x1

Given the small market for flying cars I'm hopeful this new use will be compatible with current soaring operations.

Craig
Old December 5th 16, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 12:28:52 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:

Given the small market for flying cars I'm hopeful this new use will be compatible with current soaring operations.

Yes, We are very hopefull as well. Many local glider pilots have spoken with this guy as well as club officers and he is very receptive to working with us. The other business on the field (Skydivers) has been helpful in the past.

Old December 6th 16, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_33_]

On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 11:50:46 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 12:28:52 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:

Given the small market for flying cars I'm hopeful this new use will be compatible with current soaring operations.

Yes, We are very hopefull as well. Many local glider pilots have spoken with this guy as well as club officers and he is very receptive to working with us. The other business on the field (Skydivers) has been helpful in the past.

I hope to be dead long before flying cars become a reality.
Old December 6th 16, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 12/5/2016 6:59 PM, Jim wrote:
Snip
I hope to be dead long before flying cars become a reality.

I hope not, Jim. Don't forget the Taylor Aero Car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfONF6YIpvs
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfONF6YIpvs) was certificated in 1956!
I saw one in Colorado back in the 90s.

But for those who think this is a great idea, consider this: In order
to fly with any performance at all, it must be built very lightly. Now
consider what happens in a parking lot collision! Who's going to repair
a dent in the fender? I certificated mechanic? And all this for only
half a million dollars...

Thanks, but I'll keep my Stemme and rent a car at destination...

--
Dan, 5J

Old December 6th 16, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 7:07:55 PM UTC+3, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 12/5/2016 6:59 PM, Jim wrote:

Snip

I hope to be dead long before flying cars become a reality.

I hope not, Jim.Â* Don't forget the Taylor Aero Car
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfONF6YIpvs)
was certificated in 1956!Â* I saw one in Colorado back in the 90s..

But for those who think this is a great idea, consider this:Â* In
order to fly with any performance at all, it must be built very
lightly.Â* Now consider what happens in a parking lot collision!Â*
Who's going to repair a dent in the fender?Â* I certificated
mechanic?Â* And all this for only half a million dollars...

Thanks, but I'll keep my Stemme and rent a car at destination...

Worse than a dent in a fender, a hole in a wing. They're pretty big and long and you've got to stow them *somewhere*. Folded back along the sides of the car seems like a *terrible* idea.

A regular plane/motorglider, with capacity to carry electric folding bicycles or small motorcycle seems like a much better idea. It solves every problem except being able to drive home to work after the weather packs in on your weekend away. Making the plane IFR -- possibly under computer control so the pilot doesn't have to be IFR rated/current -- would solve that.
Old December 6th 16, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Monday, 5 December 2016 12:50:46 UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 12:28:52 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:

Given the small market for flying cars I'm hopeful this new use will be compatible with current soaring operations.

Yes, We are very hopefull as well. Many local glider pilots have spoken with this guy as well as club officers and he is very receptive to working with us. The other business on the field (Skydivers) has been helpful in the past.

The person purchased the hangar just to the south of the City hangar and the fuel facilities across the ramp from the hangar. They are moving from the Spanish Fork airport, north of Nephi, and plan on basing their business of selling, maintaining and offering instruction for gyrocopters. I also heard that he is also going to be running the FBO.

Yes multiple folks and parties have met and spoken with this person, everything sounds positive.
Old December 6th 16, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 1:44:23 PM UTC-6, Ron Gleason wrote:
[...]

All of the "flying" cars I have seen are either complete vaporware, or a crappy plane, and a ****tier car.

Peter

Going to Nephi? Paul Remde Soaring 6 June 26th 15 05:22 AM
New Video From Nephi and Update on 2014 Nephi Events [email protected] Soaring 1 June 5th 14 03:27 AM
Nephi, UT Kevin Christner Soaring 4 February 3rd 14 09:18 PM
KS Duo at Nephi Karl Striedieck[_2_] Soaring 0 January 9th 14 02:18 AM
Is Falcon 5.0 in development? Radeon350 Simulators 7 July 21st 03 03:21 AM