Finnish Aeronautical Engineering Abbreviations

Old March 27th 04, 03:41 AM
Ron Wanttaja

Default Finnish Aeronautical Engineering Abbreviations

I received a package that includes the original Finnish report for the
FAR-23-like load testing of a Fly Baby in 1977. At that time, the Finnish
National Board of Aviation required formal testing of homebuilts just like
production aircraft.

Fortunately, the package includes a translation into English.
Unfortunately, there are some terms that were apparently Finnish
abbeviations/acronyms that were left untranslated. These we

P.H.A.A.
P.L.A.A.
N.L.A.A.

These terms are always the labels for a row of numbers. For instance,
under "Center of Pressure" it reads:

P.H.A.A. 25%
P.L.A.A. 40%
N.L.A.A. 25%

and under "Load Factor" it says,

P.H.A.A. 4.5
P.L.A.A. 4.5
N.L.A.A. 2.0

For the "Normal Chord Load," values are given for each of the three items
for the Net Beam Load, the Chord Beam Ratio, the Chord Load per Inch, etc.

I'm thinking that these are describing either flight conditions (at cruise,
at stall, etc.) or loading conditions (forward CG, aft CG, etc.).

On a couple of the tables, the three parameters have a fourth added as a
row label: "Dive".... This is why I suspect the abbreviations might be for
flight conditions.

The question is, does anybody know the translations of the terms? Or,
given the above clues, can anybody give me a good educated guess?

Ron Wanttaja
Old March 27th 04, 08:41 AM
J. Paaso

Hello Ron,
I posted your question at the finnish experimental discussion forum.
The forum is located at www.ilmailu.org BUT , yes you guessed it, its
completely in finnish. If they dont answer directly here
(rec.aviation.homebuilt), I'll copy any answer they may have , here.

Juho Paaso
a slow and sure progress: PIK-21
Old March 27th 04, 01:18 PM
Ed Wischmeyer

I received a package that includes the original Finnish report for the
FAR-23-like load testing of a Fly Baby in 1977. At that time, the

Finnish
National Board of Aviation required formal testing of homebuilts just

like
production aircraft.

Fortunately, the package includes a translation into English.
Unfortunately, there are some terms that were apparently Finnish
abbeviations/acronyms that were left untranslated.

Did they supply any illustrations? I'd think your cause would be helped by
a photo Finnish...

Ed Wischmeyer
Old March 27th 04, 05:15 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 06:18:18 -0700, Ed Wischmeyer
wrote:

Fortunately, the package includes a translation into English.
Unfortunately, there are some terms that were apparently Finnish
abbeviations/acronyms that were left untranslated.

Did they supply any illustrations? I'd think your cause would be helped by
a photo Finnish...

The package had illustrations, but none that including any labeling of the
three terms in question. I've typed-in the English translation (everything
was hand-written) and included illustrations from the original Finnish
document and put it on my web page:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fi...ds_english.doc

This doesn't yet include the pages with the terms in question, since I'm
hoping to include those with the translated terms.

The package also has photos of the test setups used. Unfortunately, the
documents I have are copies of a copy faxed to Australia in 1988, so
there's very little detail. From what can be made out from the pictures
and documented in the text, this was a very complete test...assymetric
engine mount, sandbagging the wings with the plane both upright and upside
down, etc.

There are some countries that still want to see this sort of load
information on homebuilts, and I'm trying to make the original Finnish
package available to the Fly Baby crowd. It's a bit tough; it was
hand-written on graph paper, and normal image-compression techniques don't
make much headway with so many lines on the paper.

Ron Wanttaja
Old March 27th 04, 05:16 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On 27 Mar 2004 00:41:09 -0800, (J. Paaso) wrote:

Hello Ron,
I posted your question at the finnish experimental discussion forum.
The forum is located at
www.ilmailu.org BUT , yes you guessed it, its
completely in finnish. If they dont answer directly here
(rec.aviation.homebuilt), I'll copy any answer they may have , here.

Thanks, Juho, I'd appreciate it. Just in case anyone's curious, the report
was for Fly Baby OH-XOS, and it was tested by Sukka Taimia and Ari Niemela.

I'm suspecting the "P" in PHAA and PLAA is "Positiivinen" (Positive) and
the "N" in NLAA is "Negatiivinen". I'm wondering if the "H" in PHAA is for
a word for "loading," since "koekuormit huskuorma" is translated as "test

By the way, the word "siivekkeet" is translated as "winglets," but I've
assumed that this actually means "aileron."

Despite my last name, I know next to no Finnish. Just "sauna," "Ka iso
haami," and a swear word my father taught me last year. :-)

Ron "saunaless in Seattle" Wanttaja

Old March 27th 04, 11:16 PM
J. Paaso

Sorry for the poor net-etiquette. My answers are embedded within the
original text:

the "N" in NLAA is "Negatiivinen". I'm wondering if the "H" in PHAA is for
a word for "loading," since "koekuormit huskuorma" is translated as "test

Yup,
negatiivinen= negative
positiivinen= positive
koekuormituskuorma= test load; test weight(ing)/load(ing)(or the
nearest equivalent)

By the way, the word "siivekkeet" is translated as "winglets," but I've
assumed that this actually means "aileron."

yup, siivekkeet= aileron
So far your command of the finnish language is quite good!-)

Despite my last name, I know next to no Finnish. Just "sauna," "Ka iso
haami," and a swear word my father taught me last year. :-)

....that must be an old one (or lost in the phonetics..) I dont
recoqnize it..yet. My dad knew a whole bunch of them and tried to
teach me well.

Ron "saunaless in Seattle" Wanttaja

Yeah, your name fooled me for some ten odd years, or so. BTW sauna's
are quite easy to construct. Much easier than flying
thing-ama-jiggies!

I still havent gotten answers to your query from here. I haven't been
able to decipher the "codes" meself, my knowledege falls short of
that.
As far as I've been able´to find out the original building permit for
the OH-XOS "bowers fly baby" was dated for 10th march 1977 to a Olavi
Sakselin. Since then, there is a new permit with the same registation
: 6th of september 1996 (Fly baby model 1a) which I think is tha same
aircraft in question and although I'm not a member, I think It is the
same 'rafter project' that has been hanging in the upper shelves in
the Hämeenlinna aero-club for sometime now. As I said, I'm not 100%
sure...but.

Old March 27th 04, 11:40 PM
Del Rawlins

In J. Paaso wrote:

Ron "saunaless in Seattle" Wanttaja

Yeah, your name fooled me for some ten odd years, or so. BTW sauna's
are quite easy to construct. Much easier than flying
thing-ama-jiggies!

At the risk of being mistaken for a finish carpenter....

(Punchline stolen from one of Highflier's stories)

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old March 28th 04, 12:54 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On 27 Mar 2004 15:16:13 -0800, (J. Paaso) wrote:

By the way, the word "siivekkeet" is translated as "winglets," but I've
assumed that this actually means "aileron."

yup, siivekkeet= aileron
So far your command of the finnish language is quite good!-)

Have to admit the little drawing in the original helped. :-)

Despite my last name, I know next to no Finnish. Just "sauna," "Ka iso
haami," and a swear word my father taught me last year. :-)

...that must be an old one (or lost in the phonetics..) I dont
recoqnize it..yet. My dad knew a whole bunch of them and tried to
teach me well.

No, the swear word is something else. When I was about ten years old or
so, my grandparents had their 50th anniversary party. Someone wrote a poem
for me to read. It was mostly in English, but one joke had the punch line,
"Ka iso hammi." Only one person in the audience laughed. I was told it
meant, "What about the big ham".

Ron "saunaless in Seattle" Wanttaja

Yeah, your name fooled me for some ten odd years, or so.

Originally "Vanttaja," of course...the "W" courtesy of Ellis Island. Been
contacted over the years by several Vanttajas from Finland.

BTW sauna's
are quite easy to construct. Much easier than flying
thing-ama-jiggies!

What I need to do build my own Fly Baby, and use the leftover wood to build
a sauna. I'd invite all the RAH scum to come visit, but I have a feeling
most of them are going to spend eternity hot enough... :-)

My brother built one in his lake cabin in Minnesota, so I had my first
sauna visit in ~30 years a couple of years back. Hadn't got all the bugs
out yet...only got it to about 145 degrees F or so. My dad kept
complaining that the ice in his drink was starting to re-freeze...

As far as I've been able´to find out the original building permit for
the OH-XOS "bowers fly baby" was dated for 10th march 1977 to a Olavi
Sakselin. Since then, there is a new permit with the same registation
: 6th of september 1996 (Fly baby model 1a) which I think is tha same
aircraft in question and although I'm not a member, I think It is the
same 'rafter project' that has been hanging in the upper shelves in
the Hämeenlinna aero-club for sometime now. As I said, I'm not 100%
sure...but.

I'm guessing few of us here are familiar with homebuilding in Finland.
Could you tell us a bit about the building activities there? Are
homebuilts very common? Do they still have the same tight rules regarding
testing, or have they gone to a easier system like the Aussies?

Ron Wanttaja
Old March 28th 04, 11:38 PM
Jan Carlsson

Ron,

The PHAA is english and means Positive High Angle of Attack.

PLAA is Positive Low angle of attack,

It is used in the flight envelope FAR part 23

PHAA is at VA and PLAA is at VD

Negative is inverted flight.

Jan Carlsson
half and half Swed/Fi

www.jcpropellerdesign.com

Old March 29th 04, 02:26 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 00:38:49 +0200, "Jan Carlsson"
wrote:

The PHAA is english and means Positive High Angle of Attack.

PLAA is Positive Low angle of attack,

It is used in the flight envelope FAR part 23

PHAA is at VA and PLAA is at VD

Negative is inverted flight.

Thanks, Jan! Exactly what I was looking for.

Ron Wanttaja