A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

GP Gliders GP 14 Velo has finally FLOWN!!!

Old November 25th 16, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_11_]
external usenet poster

Default GP Gliders GP 14 Velo has finally FLOWN!!!

Good Evening All:

After a very long wait, the GP 14 Velo took to the air yesterday (November 24th) from Krosno, Poland by both aero-tow and electric self-launch. More details to come but check GP Gliders on FaceBook for pictures and video. First pilot reports are very good. We are finally flying!!!

Tim McAllister
GP Gliders USA
Old November 25th 16, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 9:09:14 PM UTC-5, Tim wrote:
Good Evening All:

After a very long wait, the GP 14 Velo took to the air yesterday (November 24th) from Krosno, Poland by both aero-tow and electric self-launch. More details to come but check GP Gliders on FaceBook for pictures and video. First pilot reports are very good. We are finally flying!!!

Tim McAllister
GP Gliders USA

Tim,

Please inform when the first one comes to US. I really would like to check it out.

Casey
Old November 26th 16, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Will GP electric drive gliders be certified to aerotow with the boom deployed and the motor turned off? (Boom extended in case of PT3. Aerotow to save the battery charge for later in the flight.)
Old November 27th 16, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 12:06:03 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Will GP electric drive gliders be certified to aerotow with the boom deployed and the motor turned off? (Boom extended in case of PT3. Aerotow to save the battery charge for later in the flight.)

Has this been done before? Any german motorized gliders "certified" with engine deployed and not running? I've never heard of such a thing. Yes a FES is probably safer for towing, but FES and boom motor are apples and oranges. I'm curious to know you question reasoning.

Casey
Old November 27th 16, 07:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 7:40:01 PM UTC-8, Casey wrote:

Has this been done before? Any german motorized gliders "certified" with engine deployed and not running? I've never heard of such a thing. Yes a FES is probably safer for towing, but FES and boom motor are apples and oranges. I'm curious to know you question reasoning.

Casey

I've aero towed the ASH26E (EXP) with the engine running. 5000RPM worked best.
Up and not running would be silly. Similar to air brakes open.
Don't understand how a FES would be safer for towing. Wouldn't the ropy bit get stuck in the propellery thing?
Jim
Old November 27th 16, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 2:29:40 AM UTC-5, JS wrote:

Casey

Don't understand how a FES would be safer for towing. Wouldn't the ropy bit get stuck in the propellery thing?
Jim

JS, the GP has a folding propeller so there is little drag when the pylon is up.
Old November 27th 16, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I've towed the ASH-30 mi with the propeller deployed and the engine
running. From the tug it made towing the heavy beast much easier. From
the back end of the rope, it made the tow quicker and, with such a long
span, it's good to get off tow quickly as some tow pilots don't realize
that the big ships can't turn as tightly as the 15-meter jobbies.

On 11/27/2016 12:29 AM, JS wrote:

Casey

Jim

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 27th 16, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 7:15:06 AM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

Casey

Jim

JS, the GP has a folding propeller so there is little drag when the pylon is up.

Cool!
Hope the prop hub doesn't disintegrate like another I've seen.
The 26 with prop up and stopped would definitely be silly.
Dan, great to hear that others have found the technique useful "certified" or not.
Jim
Old November 27th 16, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

With the likelihood of PT3 being as low as it is in the real world, and given all that the manufacturer must do to be able to produce, document, and sell a glider, I can't imagine that they would put much time into this.
UH
Old November 28th 16, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]
external usenet poster

Casey

Jim

Jim,

Referring to low termination of tow the FES is just turning the knob for full power, allowing tow pilot leeway and the glider to get out of way is probably the best safety issue I can think of. I don't know any stats for low termination of tows but I do know of a club that had a couple rope breaks in one season.

Casey