Master Jet Base

Old April 16th 05, 07:33 PM
MICHAEL OLEARY

Default Master Jet Base

Does anyone know what the criteria are for designating a NAS as a master jet
base? For example NAS Oceana is a master jet base but NAS Whidbey Island is
a premier jet base. Any leads would be great. Google wasn't very helpful.
-Moe

Old April 16th 05, 07:47 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"MICHAEL OLEARY" wrote in message

Does anyone know what the criteria are for designating a NAS as a master
jet base? For example NAS Oceana is a master jet base but NAS Whidbey
Island is a premier jet base. Any leads would be great. Google wasn't
very helpful.

I've never heard of those terms. Where did you encounter them?

Old April 16th 05, 07:55 PM
MICHAEL OLEARY

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"MICHAEL OLEARY" wrote in message

Does anyone know what the criteria are for designating a NAS as a master
jet base? For example NAS Oceana is a master jet base but NAS Whidbey
Island is a premier jet base. Any leads would be great. Google wasn't
very helpful.

I've never heard of those terms. Where did you encounter them?

They are predominately on the websites and entry signs at the bases.

Old April 16th 05, 08:34 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

I don't know for sure any more, but I had an old timer tell me once that
Master Jet Base meant that the field was open (not necessarily controlled in
the tower) 24/7.

The term may not be applicable any more.

--Woody

Old April 16th 05, 08:43 PM
Allen

In article HTc8e.24133$hB6.9873@trnddc06,
"MICHAEL OLEARY" wrote:

Does anyone know what the criteria are for designating a NAS as a master jet
base? For example NAS Oceana is a master jet base but NAS Whidbey Island is
a premier jet base. Any leads would be great. Google wasn't very helpful.
-Moe

My understanding it's a facilities issues and at a minimum, parallel
runways and fuel pits must be part of it. That works at the three I can
think of off the top of my head, Cecil (gone of course) Oceana and now
MCAS Miramar. NUW with it's single runways and truck pits (at least whe
I left in 95) just set up for FCLP's doesn't.

Pugs
Old April 16th 05, 08:46 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"MICHAEL OLEARY" wrote:

Does anyone know what the criteria are for designating a NAS as a master jet
base? For example NAS Oceana is a master jet base but NAS Whidbey Island is
a premier jet base. Any leads would be great. Google wasn't very helpful.

There are no such criteria. There isn't even a "criteria" for
"jet base". The only criteria for those two bases is contained in
their official, and identical, designations, Naval Air Station.
Which means a U. S. Navy base whose primary purpose and
facilities are designed for the operation of aircraft, primarily
USN aircraft, although they will allow USMC, USA, and even USAF
aircraft to use their facilities. While some NASs are populated
mainly by jet aircraft, other NASs are tenanted primarily by
rotary-winged aircraft, or by propellor-driven aircraft -
although technically nowadays those are mostly turbo-props rather
than the reciprocating engines of yesteryear. And most NASs will
graciously allow all three types of aircraft to use their
station, regardless of what constitutes their primary aircraft
population. Ergo, there is no such thing, officially, as a Navy
"jet base". Just naval air stations.

The "master" of Oceana is probably compliments of a very
imaginative public affairs officer whose name is lost in the
mists of time. As is the "premier" of Whidbey Island. Wonder if
it was the same LT at both places? Hmmm.
--
OJ III
Old April 16th 05, 09:15 PM
Dave in San Diego

Allen wrote in
:

"MICHAEL OLEARY" wrote:

Does anyone know what the criteria are for designating a NAS as a
master jet base? For example NAS Oceana is a master jet base but NAS
Whidbey Island is a premier jet base. Any leads would be great.
Google wasn't very helpful. -Moe

My understanding it's a facilities issues and at a minimum, parallel
runways and fuel pits must be part of it. That works at the three I
can think of off the top of my head, Cecil (gone of course) Oceana and
now MCAS Miramar. NUW with it's single runways and truck pits (at
least whe I left in 95) just set up for FCLP's doesn't.

Lemoore was also a Master Jet Base at one time, and may still be. It
certainly fits into the above criteria. AFAIK, that was an official
designation by the Navy, and not just "compliments of a very
imaginative public affairs officer". IIRC, there was a big article in one
of the glossy rags (All Hands? Approach?) when the first one was
designated back in the 60s but don't recall the details. I think NAS Jax
is designated as a Master ASW Base, too.

Dave in San Diego
Old April 16th 05, 09:19 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

They are predominately on the websites and entry signs at the bases.

Sounds like a bit of meaningless self-promotion then.

Old April 16th 05, 09:58 PM
Allen

In article ,
Dave in San Diego wrote:

Allen wrote in
:

"MICHAEL OLEARY" wrote:

Does anyone know what the criteria are for designating a NAS as a
master jet base? For example NAS Oceana is a master jet base but NAS
Whidbey Island is a premier jet base. Any leads would be great.
Google wasn't very helpful. -Moe

With my curiosity now piqued I did some searching and found this out of
a Navy Fire Safety Article. at the link

http://www.cni.navy.mil/newsletters/Fire_Mar_05.pdf.

What is a Master Jet Base?
One of the earliest conversations in the old NAVFAC F&ES Program Office
centered on the Master Jet Base designation. We¹d seen signs and
prominent internet banners proclaiming Naval Air Station So & So as a
MASTER JET BASE, but is that an official designation and what exactly
constitutes such a designation? A careful look at NATOPS came up
empty, as did a direct inquiry to NAVAIR. So is this an urban legend
or what? District Fire Chief Steve Vogt of Navy Region Mid
Atlantic provided us with what we assume is a definitive answer: I
have talked with retired Chief Warrant Officer Joseph Salt (also retired
Assistant Fire Chief NAS Oceana) about the MASTER JET BASE designation.
It is a term to signify the consolidation of assets given to select air
base sites based on the assignment of like aircraft from multiple
locations to a single base to support the Fleet mission. Service,
support, and supply facilities also had to be consolidated at these
Master Jet Bases. Pilot Qualification Training and Fleet Pilot Combat
Training for assigned aircraft must also be provided, as well as
training facilities and schools to provide the fleet with support
personnel (LSO, flight simulators, etc.). Basically; House, Repair,
Equip, Train, and Deploy Combat Ready Aircraft to be the Tip of the
Nations Sword! Original Master Jet Base Designation was given to; East
Coast: NAS Oceana and NAS Cecil Field West Coast: NAS Lemoore and
NAS Miramar Since NAS Miramar was transferred to the Marine Corps and
NAS Cecil Field was closed, the only remaining MASTER JET BASES are NAS
Lemoore and NAS Oceana.

While that's interesting I also found a reference in the history of NAS
Brunswick at the site http://www.nasb.navy.mil/nasb_history.htm

On March 15, 1951, the national ensign was again hoisted to the peak of
the flag pole, recommissioning the dormant-base as a Naval Air Facility
with the established mission of supporting three land-plane patrol
squadrons and one Fleet Aircraft Service Squadron, and a planned future
mission as a master jet base.

The Navy, in December of 1950, requested $35,000,000 from Congress to be
used for this master jet project. Such a base required dual 8,000 foot
runways and two outlying fields, one for gunnery and one for carrier
practice landings. In June of 1951, the Secretary of Defense submitted a
request to Congress for approximately $20,000,000 for the station. This
money was to be used for additional barracks, officers' quarters, and
enlisted mens' club, control tower, storage, and communication
buildings, new galleys and mess facility, to make it a permanent
installation.

While Brunswick never become a master jet base it still remains a fine
place to get a Prowler cheek panel full of lobsters

Pugs
Old April 17th 05, 02:21 AM
Mike Kanze

The previous posts by Allen and OJ come closest to my recollection. As a
Navy brat in the 1950s and 1960s I first heard the term with reference to
consolidating aircraft types at certain bases.

Mini-backgrounder: Back in the 1950s, each active duty Air Group was based
as a unit at one location, ex all the cats and dogs. (They weren't called
Air Wings until sometime in the 1960s IIRC.) Thus all the squadrons of Air
Group Nine - VF-91, VF-92, VA-93, VA-94 and VA-95 - were based at NAS
Alameda. When the Master Base concept was implemented on the west coast, all
the fighters went to NAS Miramar and all the light attack went to the then
brand-new NAS Lemoore.

I'm not sure but this may have come about at the same time as (or as the
result of) the implementation of NATOPS. In any event, it made better sense
to consolidate types for purposes of training and equipment maintenance.
--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259