Fuel Prices For The July Pilgrimage

Old May 26th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

Default Fuel Prices For The July Pilgrimage

Tim Hickey wrote:
I can tell no difference between running 100LL and Mogas.

I could tell a big difference with my 182. Back then my cost to fill up
was about 50% of the prevailing avgas price and that was a very
noticeable difference! :-)

Matt
Old May 27th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Tim Hickey wrote:
I can tell no difference between running 100LL and Mogas.

I could tell a big difference with my 182. Back then my cost to fill up
was about 50% of the prevailing avgas price and that was a very noticeable
difference! :-)

Besides the plane being heavier (more money in the wallet g) could you
tell if the mixture was different, if you ever ran one tank mogas and one
with 100LL?
--
Jim in NC

Old May 27th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

Tim Hickey wrote:
I can tell no difference between running 100LL and Mogas.

I could tell a big difference with my 182. Back then my cost to fill up
was about 50% of the prevailing avgas price and that was a very noticeable
difference! :-)

Besides the plane being heavier (more money in the wallet g) could you
tell if the mixture was different, if you ever ran one tank mogas and one
with 100LL?

Never tried that. We typically ran something close to a 50/50
mogas/100LL mix most of the time. We always filled with mogas at the
home drome, but we filled with 100LL at other airports. Since both my
partner and me flew mostly cross country flights, nearly every other
top-off was with 100LL.

The airplane flew great on this mixture up to as high as 13,000 feet.
Never had a hiccup of any sort related to fuel.

Matt
Old May 27th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
(Tim Hickey) wrote:

I can tell no difference between running 100LL and Mogas.

I sure could in my Continental A-65 Champ.
The engine seemed sluggish with mogas. It didn't seem to have as much
power.
Old May 27th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

I can tell no difference between running 100LL and Mogas.

I sure could in my Continental A-65 Champ.
The engine seemed sluggish with mogas. It didn't seem to have as much
power.

I know you probably realize this, but your observation makes no
sense. There is no difference in "power" between avgas and mogas.

If there were, the FAA would never have approved mogas as an aviation
fuel in *any* aircraft.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 27th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote

I know you probably realize this, but your observation makes no
sense. There is no difference in "power" between avgas and mogas.

Actually, there are slightly more BTU's in a gallon of mogas than in a
gallon of avgas.

If an engine was to have its fixed advanced spark too far forward, the lower
octane mogas could produce less power. That is the only way I could think
of, other than a high compression engine that needed the higher octane to
keep from knocking.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 27th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jack Allison

No have mogas STC for said Arrow. Ergo, I must burn blue stuff :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old May 27th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
I can tell no difference between running 100LL and Mogas.

I sure could in my Continental A-65 Champ.
The engine seemed sluggish with mogas. It didn't seem to have as much
power.

I know you probably realize this, but your observation makes no
sense. There is no difference in "power" between avgas and mogas.

If there were, the FAA would never have approved mogas as an aviation
fuel in *any* aircraft.

It is amazing what the mind can do once it decides that something is
true. Look at all of the drug test results on the large sheet you now
get with prescription drugs. Many show the results of both the placebo
and the drug during the studies. I'm always amazed at how much the
placebo "helps" as compared to the real drug. People who think they are
taking the drug get better also!

If you think mogas will reduce your power, then your mind will make it
happen. :-)

Matt
Old May 27th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

Morgans wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote

I know you probably realize this, but your observation makes no
sense. There is no difference in "power" between avgas and mogas.

Actually, there are slightly more BTU's in a gallon of mogas than in a
gallon of avgas.

If an engine was to have its fixed advanced spark too far forward, the lower
octane mogas could produce less power.

How so?

Matt
Old May 27th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Matt Whiting" wrote

How so?

Whem I was much younger, an all cars had points and condensers, I would do
my own tune-ups.

Sometimes the timing would need to be adjusted. How to do it, if you did
not have a timing light handy?

I would loosen the distributor bolt, until it was tight enough to move by
hand, but not so loose that it would not vibrate around. After that, I
would get the engine warmed up, and take it out on the road, and punch it.
It was not so obvious if the timing was retarded a bit, until it was really
retarded. It was _quite_ obvious when it was too far advanced, as would not
have much power, and would knock like crazy.

That a good enough answer?
--
Jim in NC

Fuel Prices For The July Pilgrimage RST Engineering Piloting 46 June 15th 07 10:45 PM
Fuel Prices For The July Pilgrimage RST Engineering Owning 46 June 15th 07 10:45 PM
Fuel Prices Ross Richardson Owning 60 September 30th 05 02:06 AM
Fuel Prices ~R Rotorcraft 0 September 10th 05 03:56 PM
Fuel Prices S Green Piloting 0 May 9th 04 09:47 PM