AMT question: Approved Data

Old March 26th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default AMT question: Approved Data

Look in Part 91

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 91-GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES
Subpart E-Maintenance, Preventive Maintenance, and
Alterations

Browse Previous | Browse Next

§ 91.407 Operation after maintenance, preventive
maintenance, rebuilding, or alteration.
(a) No person may operate any aircraft that has undergone
maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, or
alteration unless-

(1) It has been approved for return to service by a person
authorized under §43.7 of this chapter; and

(2) The maintenance record entry required by §43.9 or
§43.11, as applicable, of this chapter has been made.

(b) No person may carry any person (other than crewmembers)
in an aircraft that has been maintained, rebuilt, or altered
in a manner that may have appreciably changed its flight
characteristics or substantially affected its operation in
flight until an appropriately rated pilot with at least a
private pilot certificate flies the aircraft, makes an
operational check of the maintenance performed or alteration
made, and logs the flight in the aircraft records.

(c) The aircraft does not have to be flown as required by
paragraph (b) of this section if, prior to flight, ground
tests, inspection, or both show conclusively that the
maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, or
alteration has not appreciably changed the flight
characteristics or substantially affected the flight
operation of the aircraft.

(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under
control number 2120-0005)

"Barry" wrote in message
| Ackshully, you would need an appropriately rated pilot
for return to
| service. You'd need an IA to approve the engine for
return to service. And
| yes, the pilot is supposed to make an engine log entry.
|
| I agree with you that the IA approves the engine for
return to service, and
| the pilot actually returns it to service. But what's your
reference for
| stating that the pilot is supposed to make a logbook
entry? I'm not aware of

Old March 27th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Jim Macklin wrote:

snip
(b) No person may carry any person (other than crewmembers)
in an aircraft that has been maintained, rebuilt, or altered
in a manner that may have appreciably changed its flight
characteristics or substantially affected its operation in
flight until an appropriately rated pilot with at least a
private pilot certificate flies the aircraft, makes an
operational check of the maintenance performed or alteration
made, and logs the flight in the aircraft records.

So what happened to the idea that the person who signed the maintenance out
comes for the ride?

--

regards

jc

LEGAL - I don't believe what I wrote and neither should you. Sobriety and/or
sanity of the author is not guaranteed

EMAIL - and are not valid email
addresses. news2x at perentie is valid for a while.
Old March 27th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

If you are studying for your A&P exams, this isn't the place to find
answers.
ALL the answers to the exam are in the 4 bibles....
The Airframe, Powerplant and General Handbook as well as AC43

Have a great day

Scott
"Dale Scroggins" wrote in message
. com...
Mark wrote:
"Stealth Pilot" wrote:

Cessna 100 series service manual.
this is for the 150, 172, 175, 180, 182 and 185 if yours is the same
vintage as mine ( 1962 and prior)

this has details of the repairs you mention.
they are available from Univair

Thanks for the information. However, my question is hypothetical.
I'm studying for the A&P exams.

-Mark

"Approved" is defined in Part 1; approved by the Administrator, or his
delegate. As others have mentioned, a stamp and signature in the proper
box of a Form 337 by an FAA inspector constitutes approval of data.
Inspectors aren't very enthusiastic about approving data nowadays, so more
often such approval is given by a Designated Engineering Representative
(who has authority to do so from the Administrator).

Some manufacturers' manuals have parts or chapters approved by the
Administrator. This fact will be stated in the preface of the manual; it
could be a repair manual or flight manual. If the manual does not contain
an approval statement, it is not approved data.

"Acceptable" data isn't defined in Part 1. In practice, acceptable data
is useful for performing maintenance, minor repairs, and minor alterations
of aircraft. Maintenance manuals will be acceptable if not approved;
AC43.13 is acceptable data unless the manufacturer offers data that
conflicts. Some parts of AC43.13 can be used as approved data if the
repair or alteration instructions are directly applicable and not in
conflict with manufacturer's recommendations. Read the preface to
AC43.13.

In practical terms, an authorized inspector can approve a major repair or
alteration based upon approved data. If he only has acceptable data, he
cannot, unless he first has the acceptable data approved by the
Administrator (by field approval by an FAA inspector, or by a DER).

While structural repair manuals for smaller aircraft are most often not
approved, SRMs for larger aircraft most often are. Read the preface.
Flight manuals are nearly always approved. If you don't think there will
be any maintenance-related data in a flight manual, think again.

Dale Scroggins

Old March 28th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"pbc76049" wrote:
If you are studying for your A&P exams, this isn't the place to find
answers.
ALL the answers to the exam are in the 4 bibles....
The Airframe, Powerplant and General Handbook as well as AC43

Even a bible is open to interpretation.

Old March 28th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Mark" wrote in message
Even a bible is open to interpretation.

Not acording to fundamentalists........

Old March 28th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"pbc76049" wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
Even a bible is open to interpretation.

Not acording to fundamentalists........

Which is why it's so much fun to confront them with the
internal inconsistencies.

Old March 30th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
(c) The aircraft does not have to be flown as required by
paragraph (b) of this section if, prior to flight, ground
tests, inspection, or both show conclusively that the
maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, or
alteration has not appreciably changed the flight
characteristics or substantially affected the flight
operation of the aircraft.

The last chapter of the Lycoming opposed engine overhaul manual specifies
that the rebuilt engine must be run in a calibrated test cell. That shows
conclusively that the flight characteristics won't be substantially
affected. Therefore, who needs the pilot?

Incidentally, and don't ask me how I know, does everyone here with an
overhauled cetificated engine have a record of a test cell run in the
engine's overhaul records?

Now then, I seem to remember something about integral superchargered engines
needing to be overhauled by an approved facility. When I ran R-985s, we had
to send them out as we weren't allowed to overhaul them ourselves.

D.