another year, another annual

Old November 21st 03, 04:35 AM
Doug Vetter

Default another year, another annual

Hi all,

Did 165 hours this year (actually over 10 months) in the 172 and brought
it into annual a couple weeks ago. Decided to overhaul the prop,
governor, alternator and rework a ton of stuff. Wound up going with
Sensenich Propeller Service in Lancaster, PA and am glad I did. The
prop came in a mere $100 over the initial quote (effectively the same).

The governor, on the other hand, did cause us a bit of pain when they
said the flyweight assembly was worn beyond spec and would cost another
$560 (yes, over the $450 initial quote) to replace with a new unit. An
overhauled assembly would have been $100 less, but we quickly
rationalized the new unit given the relatively small price differential.

The Sensenich rep who called my mechanic commented that they "hadn't
seen one of these revs [of the flyweight assembly] in a long time and it
needed to be upgraded". Oh, how _comforting_. :-)

Biggest surprise from a safety standpoint was a broken lower alternator
bracket. The unit was being held in by the two remaining bolts and the
upper bracket, but it took us completely by surprise. We had the
cowling off less than 25 hours ago and didn't see it...which isn't
really that big of a surprise given where it is (very difficult to see).
Next time you're in the cowling, you may want to give your alternator
a good tug or two.

We also decided to clean up the engine bay and strip/paint the airbox
and a couple support brackets. Should look pretty sweet when it's done.

All I can say is MAN do these airplanes get expensive at times! Of
course, we're doing lots of stuff by choice, so we have no one to blame
but ourselves :-)

I posted a ton of pics in the gallery on my site and the first two parts
of an article series I'm writing on the subject. I've learned a ton, as
usual...hope you find them equally helpful.

Safe flying!

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------

Old November 21st 03, 09:08 PM
Jay Honeck

All I can say is MAN do these airplanes get expensive at times! Of
course, we're doing lots of stuff by choice, so we have no one to blame
but ourselves :-)

I feel your pain, Doug. My new (rebuilt) DG just came in -- "only" another
$515, once I send the old one back in exchange. Then it's gotta be
installed.

This after my AI went south just two months ago. Another $600, plus
installation.

Plus the new interior... Ka-CHING!

Ah, but last night I took my 10 year-old daughter for a "spur-of-the-moment"
father-daughter flight, just as the sun was setting. Suddenly all that pain
was forgotten, as we marveled together at the twinkling lights below...

(Nice pictures on your site, by the way!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 21st 03, 11:37 PM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:08:37 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Plus the new interior... Ka-CHING!

Ever run a boat out drive into a rock?

Ever think of owning a race car?

It's all relative!

Barry
Old November 22nd 03, 03:34 AM
Doug Vetter

Jay Honeck wrote:
I feel your pain, Doug. My new (rebuilt) DG just came in -- "only" another
$515, once I send the old one back in exchange. Then it's gotta be
installed.

This after my AI went south just two months ago. Another $600, plus
installation.

Plus the new interior... Ka-CHING!

Which is VERY nice by the way. Wish I could snarf a deal like that for
the 172. But, something tells me if we do anything about it before we
(or at least *I*) upgrade in five years or so, we'll wind up paying full
freight. :-)

I really want to give Air Mod a shot...I've seen many examples of their
work...real artistry...but you pay for that. I've heard $12K is not out
of the question for a 172(!)

Ah, but last night I took my 10 year-old daughter for a "spur-of-the-moment"
father-daughter flight, just as the sun was setting. Suddenly all that pain
was forgotten, as we marveled together at the twinkling lights below...

Now THAT's flying!

(Nice pictures on your site, by the way!)

Thanks!

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------

Old November 22nd 03, 11:40 AM
Viperdoc

Airmod is going to do the inside of my Baron this year.Their work looks
outstanding, and their reputation is great as well. Of course, it's not
going to be cheap either!

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Another Almost Annual Christmas Poem!!! David Pincus Home Built 4 December 28th 03 12:47 PM
It's that time of year again. Capt. Doug Home Built 19 September 3rd 03 10:53 PM
'Good' Annual This Year Ben Smith Owning 38 July 26th 03 05:44 AM
Pre-Purchase Annual? Paul Millner Owning 1 July 4th 03 10:11 PM