I Will Never Understand Wind

Old May 7th 05, 02:59 AM
Jay Honeck

Even worse, it's speculation driven by transparently political motives --
at
least here in the U.S.

Whereas I see it's *denial* as being driven by transparent motives.

Wow. In your world, denying that a so-called problem exists verifies that
the problem exists.

Nice Catch-22!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 7th 05, 03:02 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I'm old enough to remember that in the 70s, "climatologists" were
certain that the earth was fast falling into another Ice Age. In the
U.S. the hysteria was such that they even held highly publicized
Congressional hearings on the topic.

Yes, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. I remember this
"Ice Age" outcry well.

I also remember the many reputable "researchers" claiming that all the

"oil
will be gone by the year 2000." (Actually, some were claiming 1990.)

Um...the first ones said we'd run out in the 80's...that's the 1880's.
Seriously!!

Those arguments have been with us en mass for 100 years, always with a 10-20
year horizon.

Julian Simon made hash of that nonsense.

A good reference is Charles Maurice and Charles Smithson's _The Doomsday
Myth: 10,000 years of Economic Crisis_.

Old May 7th 05, 03:08 AM
Jay Honeck

I poked a hole in the sky for about an hour on Wednesday evening. Took off
on 28 with information Hotel, on return they were using 10 and information
was Juliet.

Ah, yes -- back to the wind!

The very next day after my original post (yesterday, Thursday) Mary and I
took off for Ft. Dodge, Iowa -- about 130 nm due west.

When we departed Iowa City, winds were light and variable, and conditions
were smooth en route at 3500 feet.

About half way there, we had to climb to 5500 feet to stay out of the bumps.
Another 15 minutes, and we went up to 7500 feet, and it was still unstable
air.

Interestingly, the winds aloft were light -- we had, at most, a 10 knot
headwind. However, as we approached Ft. Dodge, I listened to their AWOS,
and was amazed to hear surface winds were 190 at 20, gusts to 27!

Since they didn't have a north/south runway -- and we were just out screwing
around -- we looked for an airport with a runway more aligned with the wind.
Finding "Eagle Grove" on the moving map nearby, I landed on their turf Rwy
19 -- into an absolutely gale-force wind! It was so strong, I had some
difficulty standing on the wing, and Mary opted to let me fly the return leg
home. (But not until after we spent an enjoyable hour shooting the breeze
with the new FBO/A&P on the field -- a guy who was obviously very lonely and
starved for company!)

Much to Mary's chagrin, we had an uneventful flight back to Iowa City --
just 130 nm East, mind you -- and landed with the winds once again light and
variable.

That was the biggest wind gradient I've ever seen in such a short distance
without crossing any discernible weather boundary. There was no front, no
storm, no low pressure nearby -- NOTHING to explain such a huge difference
in wind in such a short distance.

Bizarre winds in springtime, for sure.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Frank" wrote in message ...
Jay Honeck wrote:

--
Frank....H

Old May 7th 05, 03:24 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Misc. Quotes from the Environmentalist Leadership

In their own words.... yikes!

Very scary stuff snipped

Crikey, Matt, that's some of the weirdest stuff I've seen from the Loony
Left.

It really makes you wonder how seemingly intelligent people like Tom can

be
taken into their bizarre little world.

I think he used a self-description in his post.

Old May 7th 05, 04:45 AM
Jay Honeck

What planet are you guys from? Don't you live here too? Your own best
interests, man!!

Living in a self-created left-wing fantasyland is hardly in my "best
interest."

Every idea I've heard bandied about that would supposedly "solve" global
warming coincidentally (not!) would also cripple the world economy, cause
massive social and economic upheaval, and would effectively dismantle
industries worldwide.

In short, it would mean the crippling of the Capitalist economic system.

Don't you find it just a bit strange that this very scenario fits precisely
into the Left's long-held political desires? Aren't you the least bit
suspicious when specious scientific theories produce politically desirable
outcomes?

Come on, man. Take off the blinders. Be at least a little skeptical,
rather than swallowing all this tripe whole.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 7th 05, 05:10 AM
Dave Stadt

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"George Patterson" wrote in message
newsdUee.48$N_5.42@trndny09...
Tom Fleischman wrote:

I'll give up now. You've obviously been hopelessly convinced by the
fascist, corporatist, propaganda you're being fed by the flat earth
society media whores.

As opposed to the people you listen to who owe their entire livelihood

the
ability to convince others that global warming is a problem and we had

better
support their research into it or their organization who is working to

"fix" it.

"[W]e have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic
statements, and make little mention of any doubts we may have. Each of us
has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being
honest." - Stephen Schneider (quoted in Our Fragile Earth by Jonathan
Schell)

And so far scientists have been inaccurate and dishonest. How many times in
the past hundred years have they said oil would run out in the next few
years?

Old May 7th 05, 09:38 AM
Dylan Smith

In article NaVee.54780$NU4.23676@attbi_s22, Jay Honeck wrote:
Sadly, the media apparently could not.

I think we can ALL agree that the media generally prefer hysteria,
because it sells! (You used to be in the newspaper business, right, so I
probably don't need to tell you this!)

because of the waste and largesse of his generation, and, dammit, we should
all be driving Pintos and building homes in the sides of hills!

The irony being that Pintos aren't really that efficient anyway. A car I
had as a student had the Pinto 2.0L engine. It was not only slower than
my current car, it was less economical too. However, the Pinto unit was
simple and pretty easy to work on.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old May 7th 05, 10:05 AM
Dylan Smith

In article fjUee.54089$r53.23998@attbi_s21, Grumman-581 wrote:
And the earth is doomed if we don't keep it up... The sun will not last
forever --only another 5 billion years or so...

As an aside, whilst the Sun remains main sequence, life will be
extremely resilient. Anyone who's tried to keep a patio free of weeds or
has seen an abandoned airfield or road will know how it doesn't take
long for life to reclaim even tough surfaces like asphalt.

Remember the film, "The Day After"? Had those events come to pass in
1983, by now the ruins of Kansas City would be well overgrown.

The thing is, it'd be nice to keep ourselves in a situation where we can
continue to enjoy the high standard of living we do now - and that will
require change of some sort.

Old May 7th 05, 01:26 PM
Jay Honeck

The thing is, it'd be nice to keep ourselves in a situation where we can
continue to enjoy the high standard of living we do now - and that will
require change of some sort.

Agreed.

But I, as opposed to many, have faith that the economic system will
"provide" us with the solution, as it did when petroleum supplanted whale
oil. If I had to guess at this early stage, I'd say that the solution will
be hydrogen -- but there's really no way to tell.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 7th 05, 02:09 PM
Dylan Smith

In article au2fe.55730$NU4.36038@attbi_s22, Jay Honeck wrote:
But I, as opposed to many, have faith that the economic system will
"provide" us with the solution, as it did when petroleum supplanted whale
oil. If I had to guess at this early stage, I'd say that the solution will
be hydrogen -- but there's really no way to tell.

I'd guess more diesel-type fuels; trouble with hydrogen is it's
difficult to store, difficult to handle, costs lots of energy to make
(either with oil directly or by electrolyis). Diesel-type fuels on the
other hand can be made from biological products (such as algae - that
way you could have an industrial manufacturing process instead of an
agricultural one), and would not require a vast replacement of existing
infrastructure. Jet engines already run on a type of diesel fuel. So do
Thielert GA diesels.

We already run our glider club diesel vehicles on used cooking oil
kindly donated by one of the pubs...