Control Tower Controversy brewing in the FAA

Old November 18th 03, 11:27 AM
Matthew S. Whiting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message

Sure you can. Not the head-to-head competition that exists in consumer
goods markets, but certainly competition akin to what exists in the
telecom market and other such markets. Also, the gummint could retain
ownership of ATC, but hold a competition every 4-5 years for who gets to
operate ATC for the next 4-5 years. Not real privatization, but a
hybrid that gets closer.

It's the head-to-head competition that makes private firms more efficient.

And the profit motive. The latter can exist without competition. The
edge is certainly much sharper with competition as now it is that much
harder to make a profit, but making an even larger profit is still
pretty strong motivation.

Matt

Old November 18th 03, 11:28 AM
Matthew S. Whiting

Tom S. wrote:

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message

Commercial aviation has far more money to spend than any GA operation
short of the Fortune 500 corporations. I agree that those with the
dough will get the service, but it won't be us who fly anything less
than 12,500 lbs.

Why should it be any other way? "Those who bears the costs, gets the

goods".

That isn't true in vast sectors of the American economy. You don't even
begin to pay for what you use in cost of roads, etc., and people who
live in the city don't pay for the real cost of public transportation.
These are subsidized by general tax revenue just as general aviation is.
I don't you'd really want to pay via user fees for every service you
use, unless you live in a shack in Wyoming.

In that case, you should get behind privatization.

Admitting that he's fresh out of logical arguments for his position,
Tarver tries a lame insult.

Asking you to join me and AOPA in advocating privatization is not intended
to be an insult.

Since when is AOPA advocating privatization? This is news to me.
They've lobbied heavily against that in the past.

Matt

Old November 18th 03, 01:08 PM
Dave Butler

John R. Copeland wrote:

My experience is that few of the private controllers attain even the average
level of ability and courtesy I've learned to expect at FAA towers.

That's been my experience, too.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old November 18th 03, 04:23 PM
Newps

Matthew S. Whiting wrote:

Because most private companies that perform functions similar to
governmental agencies are more efficient. I think new technology would
be adopted faster and with less bureaucracy. I think controller
performance would be rewarded more effectively. Last I knew, most civil
service jobs still had a lot of focus on seniority, more like a union
workforce in the private sector than a professional workforce in the
private sector.

Seniority is a nonfactor at the FAA. We only use it to bid our days off
twice a year.

Old November 18th 03, 10:25 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , "G.R. Patterson III"
writes:

The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians (ie. inducting a gay
bishop) are an affront to Christians everywhere. I am just thankful that
the church's founder, Henry VIII, and his wife Catherine of Aragon, and
his
wife Anne Boleyn, and his wife Jane Seymour, and his wife Anne of
Cleves,
and his wife Katherine Howard, and his wife Catherine Parr are no longer
here to suffer through this assault on traditional Christian marriages.

Geo,
This made my day. Sent a copy to several friends.

Chuck
Old November 18th 03, 11:02 PM
Matthew S. Whiting

Newps wrote:

Matthew S. Whiting wrote:

Because most private companies that perform functions similar to
governmental agencies are more efficient. I think new technology
would be adopted faster and with less bureaucracy. I think controller
performance would be rewarded more effectively. Last I knew, most
civil service jobs still had a lot of focus on seniority, more like a
union workforce in the private sector than a professional workforce in
the private sector.

Seniority is a nonfactor at the FAA. We only use it to bid our days off
twice a year.

That is truly good to know. Are annual increases merit based or COLA?
What are the promotion criteria?

Matt

Old November 19th 03, 02:16 AM
Tom S.

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message
That isn't true in vast sectors of the American economy. You don't

even
begin to pay for what you use in cost of roads, etc., and people who
live in the city don't pay for the real cost of public transportation.
These are subsidized by general tax revenue just as general aviation

is.
I don't you'd really want to pay via user fees for every service you
use, unless you live in a shack in Wyoming.

In that case, you should get behind privatization.

Admitting that he's fresh out of logical arguments for his position,
Tarver tries a lame insult.

Asking you to join me and AOPA in advocating privatization is not intended
to be an insult.

Nor could it be construed as an insult. Quite the contrary, the "being out
logical arguments" falls on Whiting, not Tarver.

Old November 19th 03, 02:19 AM
Tom S.

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Cub Driver wrote:

Let's put it this way. If you had a very valuable package that just
had to get there, would you take it to the post office or to Fed Ex?

USPS. It's a mile away. Sure, I have to pay for express mail and insure

the
package, but that's still cheaper than driving 25 miles to the nearest

FedEx
office and paying *their* prices.

Hmmm.... FedEx picks up at MY house. Maybe you should cut your grass so they
can find yours, George. :~)

BTW, my last two "Priority Mail" packages from the USPS never arrived (One
in September, one this past couple weeks). I've had that happen with UPS
just once in seven years, and never with FedEx.

Old November 19th 03, 02:22 AM
Tom S.

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message

Because most private companies that perform functions similar to
governmental agencies are more efficient.

Sure, susccessful private companies are forced by competition to be more
efficient or fail. But you can't have competition in ATC.

That's what the Bell System thought on Long Distance calling back in the
70's and 80's regarding their industry.

Automation is the natural competitor of civil service.

And if they fail to deliver the goods, someone else gets the deal (unless
ATC is privatized the way Qwest, the Postal DisService, and most utilities
are chartered.

Old November 19th 03, 02:23 AM
Tom S.

"Newps" wrote in message

Matthew S. Whiting wrote:

Because most private companies that perform functions similar to
governmental agencies are more efficient. I think new technology would
be adopted faster and with less bureaucracy. I think controller
performance would be rewarded more effectively. Last I knew, most civil
service jobs still had a lot of focus on seniority, more like a union
workforce in the private sector than a professional workforce in the
private sector.

Seniority is a nonfactor at the FAA. We only use it to bid our days off
twice a year.

Bull!! Seniority is a major (the major?) key in any bureaucracy or Union.