Emailing contest flight log to scorer

Old July 18th 18, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Emailing contest flight log to scorer

From the cockpit, I want to transfer my flight log to my phone and email it to the contest scorer.

If your IGC approved logger is Bluetooth equipped and it is paired to your phone, is it just a simple matter of downloading log to phone and emailing the file?

Are there any "security" issues or 3rd party apps required?

Thanks for your input.
Old July 18th 18, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 10:46:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
From the cockpit, I want to transfer my flight log to my phone and email it to the contest scorer.

If your IGC approved logger is Bluetooth equipped and it is paired to your phone, is it just a simple matter of downloading log to phone and emailing the file?

Are there any "security" issues or 3rd party apps required?

Thanks for your input.

Shouldn't be any problem. The security is built into the file contents, and is thus carried along when you email it.

In the recent Region One contest I wanted to configure the IGCdroid app - which already runs on my phone, and was my backup logger as well as providing real-time tracking - to automatically email the log file to the scorer directly. Meeting some reluctance on the part of the management, I only had it email it to myself. Then I forwarded that email to the scorer. Turns out the log file *name* was not acceptable to Winscore (fixed that by renaming it manually). The naming issue has since been fixed in the app, so be sure to get version 1.19 (or later) if you plan to do that.
Old July 18th 18, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

LXNAV computers have this capability with their WiFi module
Old July 18th 18, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 7:46:01 AM UTC-7, wrote:
From the cockpit, I want to transfer my flight log to my phone and email it to the contest scorer.

If your IGC approved logger is Bluetooth equipped and it is paired to your phone, is it just a simple matter of downloading log to phone and emailing the file?

Are there any "security" issues or 3rd party apps required?

Thanks for your input.

If you have an iPhone, use a HooToo / lightning flash drive to download the file and then email it from your phone.
https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Con...1941921&sr=8-5
Here is a RAS thread discussing it.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...ng/pV1zSqL9T_4
Old July 19th 18, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

I used the WiFi bridge to email the file from my lx9000 to the scorer using my phone as a hotspot. It worked well. I could also have used the file from my Oudie IGC which I can upload to the phone and to SeèYou cloud by Bluetooth from the Oudie logbook, running Oudie Live on the phone. I believe all Nano loggers also offer this.
Old July 19th 18, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 11:00:38 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 10:46:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
From the cockpit, I want to transfer my flight log to my phone and email it to the contest scorer.

If your IGC approved logger is Bluetooth equipped and it is paired to your phone, is it just a simple matter of downloading log to phone and emailing the file?

Are there any "security" issues or 3rd party apps required?

Turns out the log file *name* was not acceptable to Winscore (fixed that by renaming it manually). The naming issue has since been fixed in the app, so be sure to get version 1.19 (or later) if you plan to do that.

Winscore expects log file names to conform to section A2.5 of the FAI Technical Specification for GNSS flight recorders.

2018-04-22-CNI-21Q-01.IGC - Valid
JX_Smith_StdClass_Day1.IGC - Not valid

Old July 20th 18, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 19, 2018 at 9:51:12 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 11:00:38 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 10:46:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
From the cockpit, I want to transfer my flight log to my phone and email it to the contest scorer.

If your IGC approved logger is Bluetooth equipped and it is paired to your phone, is it just a simple matter of downloading log to phone and emailing the file?

Are there any "security" issues or 3rd party apps required?

Turns out the log file *name* was not acceptable to Winscore (fixed that by renaming it manually). The naming issue has since been fixed in the app, so be sure to get version 1.19 (or later) if you plan to do that.

Winscore expects log file names to conform to section A2.5 of the FAI Technical Specification for GNSS flight recorders.

2018-04-22-CNI-21Q-01.IGC - Valid
JX_Smith_StdClass_Day1.IGC - Not valid

Right. Silly though, since those rules still do not guarantee that the file names are unique (two of them could be 2018-04-22-XCS-AAA-01.IGC). On the other hand much more info (such as pilot name) is present in the header lines of the file contents. Anyway, the latest version of IGCdroid does name the files to fit those rules.
Old July 21st 18, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 1:05:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, July 19, 2018 at 9:51:12 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 11:00:38 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 10:46:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
From the cockpit, I want to transfer my flight log to my phone and email it to the contest scorer.

[...]

Actually, the manufacture code and serial number in the file name should guarantee uniqueness.

Old July 21st 18, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

The example given is actually one generated by the XCSoar program (hence the XCS in the middle of the file name). The program allows the user to chose any three characters for the "unique code" (AAA in this case).

So it is possible for there to be two files from different competitors with the same file name.

Having been a contest scorer for the last 4 years I know that this can occur and use the practice day or the first contest day to sort out those kind of conflicts.

Mike
Old August 2nd 18, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Clarke

At 19:27 18 July 2018, Craig Reinholt wrote:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 7:46:01 AM UTC-7,

wrote:
From the cockpit, I want to transfer my flight log to my phone

and email
it to the contest scorer.

If your IGC approved logger is Bluetooth equipped and it is

paired to
your phone, is it just a simple matter of downloading log to phone

and
emailing the file?

Are there any "security" issues or 3rd party apps required?

Thanks for your input.

If you have an iPhone, use a HooToo / lightning flash drive to

download the
file and then email it from your phone.
https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Con...oToo-External-

iPlugmate/dp/B019W8N4DU/ref=lp_2529574011_1_5/133-
2130488-2796502?
srs=2529574011&ie=UTF8&qid=1531941921&sr=8-5
Here is a RAS thread discussing it.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?

fromgroups#!topicsearchin/rec.aviation.soaring/Hootoo;context-
place=searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/Hootoo%7Csort:date/rec.aviatio
n.soaring/pV1zSqL9T_4

I bought one to download flight logs from my LX907, but it is going
back as the LX doesn't recognise it. Neither does my Power Flarm.

MC