AK-X swept wing sailplane

Old July 19th 18, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default AK-X swept wing sailplane

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 09:44:43 +0300, BruceGreeff
wrote:

Consequently they turn out engineers with decent practical experience in
leading edge manufacture. Not a bad approach - especially considering
the direct engagement with peers, and product manufacturers, and
academics. These engineers and scientists also get to test their
product. Good for focussing the mind.

I doubt there is any pressure, expectation or ambition for their
experimental design to be a commercial success, Or even necessarily to
advance flight performance. It may be primarily about fabrication
techniques. This one could well be about controlability... Who knows.

Empirically he approach seems to work. The most recent, successful
startup in glider manufacture -Jonker Sailplanes uses exactly this model.

.... not to mention that ALL German glider designers since 1960 are
Akaflieg products, without exception. Guess where the German market
domnination came from...

Cheers Andreas
Old July 19th 18, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Treaty of Versailles?

Guess where the German market domnination came from...

Old July 20th 18, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 7:37:23 PM UTC-4, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Just another waste of time and effort on the flying wing concept, and as usual, it will be worse than a normal sailplane of the same span area.

Here is another interesting AKAFLIEG project - this one is out of Stuttgart:
http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/akaflieg...uelle-projekt/
They are developing a 150HP Diesel powered tow-capable motorglider to get gliders with ever increasing MTOWs into the sky.

Uli
'AS'
Old July 20th 18, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 6:07:55 AM UTC-5, AS wrote:

Here is another interesting AKAFLIEG project - this one is out of Stuttgart:
http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/akaflieg...uelle-projekt/
They are developing a 150HP Diesel powered tow-capable motorglider to get gliders with ever increasing MTOWs into the sky.

Uli
'AS'

Maybe the bing translation isn't the greatest, but it is interesting to me that a country that does a significant amount of winch launching is looking to develop a towplane because "the winch can't meet all of our wants" when the country that uses primarily towplanes is heading towards doing more winching because "towplanes are too expensive".

I do like that project, though. Diesel to keep fuel cost and availability. Hopefully water cooled to reduce shock cooling issues. Hoping for big dive brakes to make descents much more rapid with airspeed kept low. With that much glass overhead, I wonder if they are considering some sort of airconditioning? Interesting choice on the airfoil section.

Oh, and my read of the spec sheet says they are looking at 180 HP. Even though in the title of the article, they say 155PS.

Good project, guys! Looking forward to seeing your results!

Steve Leonard
Old July 20th 18, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 10:54:13 AM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

Hi Steve,

your read is mostly correct. The main focus and driver for this project seems to be the contest crowd. Looking at the latest Super-Orchids and their wing-loading, the speed they require to stay on tow comfortable was cited to be up to 140km/h (87mph or 76kts), at which most commonly used tow planes over there have a close to zero climb rate. Not sure if that is correct, though - I am not blessed with one of these gliders ;-)
Anyhow, this Diesel-powered motorglider is supposed to come in two versions - 155HP and 180HP and is optimized for fast climb and descent rates. It will have a constant speed prop and will also feature an over-sized fuel tank to do as many tows as possible between fuel stops.
Your assessment of the winching situation is also correct. It is still the main method of getting gliders airborne over there, however, contests are almost 100% launched using tow planes - at least I haven't heard of any Nationals in Germany where a winch was used to launch the fleet. The costs of aero-towing in the US will go up as well due to rising fuel costs and a dwindling supply of crop-dusters, etc. Should be an interesting project to watch.

Uli
'AS'
Old July 20th 18, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 7:19:53 AM UTC-4, Andreas Maurer wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 15:39:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

The Treaty of Versailles?

Guess where the German market domnination came from...#

Yup. That famous treaty of Versailles after World War 2 that drove all
the other glider manufacturers out of the market in the 1970s.........

sigh

No, it's the imposed treaty at the end of WW1 that prohibited Germany from acquiring military airplanes. That pushed the Germans into developing and training in gliders instead, to prepare their future pilots. Thus the 1920's advances in gliders and soaring there, which gave them a head start in the field.
Old July 20th 18, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

No, no, no. The treaty of Versailles was the treaty, signed after WWI, that gave the French the right to build their own version of the ASW-19 seeing as how there own designs were, in the words of the treaty, “odd looking and not very good”.
Old July 20th 18, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 3:25:27 PM UTC-4, WB wrote:
No, no, no. The treaty of Versailles was the treaty, signed after WWI, that gave the French the right to build their own version of the ASW-19 seeing as how there own designs were, in the words of the treaty, “odd looking and not very good”.

You Kill Me !
UH