"Urgent Wind Chill Advisory"

Old January 28th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default "Urgent Wind Chill Advisory"

We (in the upper Midwest) are in the grips of some cold weather right
now. This is not surprising, since the last week of January is
statistically the coldest week of the year.

Despite this commonly known fact, the National Weather Service has
felt compelled to issue a urgent "Winter Weather Advisory" for
"extreme wind chills". My desktop weather (courtesy of the Weather
Channel) is now blinking red, warning me (and millions of others) to
dress warmly, and to not go outside. Heavens, what will we all do?

We are, of course, planning to fly to Wisconsin today, and Mary's been
at work for several hours. I'll be leaving shortly with the kids.

Honestly, will this "Nanny State" we've created ever right itself?
We're paying hundreds of meteorologists, in the employ of the Federal
Government, under the auspices of the National Weather Service, to
issue WARNINGS TO DRESS WARMLY...

It is to weep...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 28th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

[snip]
"extreme wind chills". My desktop weather (courtesy of the Weather
Channel) is now blinking red, warning me (and millions of others) to
dress warmly, and to not go outside. Heavens, what will we all do?

The NWS issued a wind chill warning for Melbourne FL last week. It
was so "cold" I could actually see my breath! :-)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old January 29th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gerry Caron

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

The NWS issued a wind chill warning for Melbourne FL last week. It
was so "cold" I could actually see my breath! :-)

It was horrible! I had to wear a long sleeve shirt and put the top up on my
roadster for my morning commute. ;-)

NWS has issued another severe weather alert for MLB and vicinity for tonight
and tomorrow night. Forecast is for 42 tonight with wind-chill in the mid
30s. Looks like I might need a jacket in the morning.

Gerry

Old January 29th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Randy Aldous

On Jan 28, 8:41 pm, "Gerry Caron" wrote:
"Bob Noel" wrote in ...

The NWS issued a wind chill warning for Melbourne FL last week. It
was so "cold" I could actually see my breath! :-)It was horrible! I had to wear a long sleeve shirt and put the top up on my

roadster for my morning commute. ;-)

NWS has issued another severe weather alert for MLB and vicinity for tonight
and tomorrow night. Forecast is for 42 tonight with wind-chill in the mid
30s. Looks like I might need a jacket in the morning.

Gerry

Like the time a few years ago, that my family and I visited Orlando
(had to do the Disney/ Universal thing,) and the hotel we stayed at on
Disney property had a sign posted at the pool, "pool closed due to
cold weather no life guard on duty" the day we arrived - we had come
from Minnesota where it was winter when we departed (I remember the
DC-10 we were on having to go back for a second de-ice,) due to the
"cold." IIRC, it was about 50-55 F with little wind and clear skies.
We went swimming anyway and of course got branded as being from
Minnesota right away by passers by.

But then, my late uncle, who lived in Rockledge, east of Orlando - on
the coast, would always wear his jacket when he came to visit us up
north, even in August.

We had ~44 F in central MN last Friday, followed by 2 F the next day.
Wish it would make up its mind.

Randy

Old January 30th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Like the time a few years ago, that my family and I visited Orlando
(had to do the Disney/ Universal thing,) and the hotel we stayed at on
Disney property had a sign posted at the pool, "pool closed due to
cold weather no life guard on duty" the day we arrived - we had come
from Minnesota where it was winter when we departed (I remember the
DC-10 we were on having to go back for a second de-ice,) due to the
"cold." IIRC, it was about 50-55 F with little wind and clear skies.
We went swimming anyway and of course got branded as being from
Minnesota right away by passers by.

Ha! Mary and I had a similar experience in Southern California, back
in the '70s. We arrived in Anaheim (from Wisconsin) during the winter
of '78-'79 -- one of the worst in history -- to find that there was
some frost on our windows when we woke up the next morning.

Of course none of the locals had ice scrapers, so they were totally
paralyzed. Mary and I simply whipped out our student ID cards (no
credit cards, yet) and scraped the windows. We were in shirt-sleeves,
enjoying the "warm" weather, while all the natives were huddled in
their fur coats, unable to see out their windshields.

It was hilarious, and great fun.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 30th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Ha! Mary and I had a similar experience in Southern California, back
in the '70s. We arrived in Anaheim (from Wisconsin) during the winter
of '78-'79 -- one of the worst in history -- to find that there was
some frost on our windows when we woke up the next morning.

Of course none of the locals had ice scrapers, so they were totally
paralyzed. Mary and I simply whipped out our student ID cards (no
credit cards, yet) and scraped the windows. We were in shirt-sleeves,
enjoying the "warm" weather, while all the natives were huddled in
their fur coats, unable to see out their windshields.

It was hilarious, and great fun.

I've got a "me too," for that.

When in LA for the 1980 Rose Bowl, it was downright hot, compared to Ohio in
the winter.

I'll be DARNed if I was going to be in L.A. and not go swimming in the
Pacific. It was only the second time I had seen it!

About half of the band felt the same way. Swim until you were blue
(literally) warm up for 30 or 40 minutes, and go back out for more body
surfing!

We did have the beach pretty much to ourselves! g
--
Jim in NC

Old January 28th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
We (in the upper Midwest) are in the grips of some cold weather right
now. This is not surprising, since the last week of January is
statistically the coldest week of the year.

snip

Honestly, will this "Nanny State" we've created ever right itself?
We're paying hundreds of meteorologists, in the employ of the Federal
Government, under the auspices of the National Weather Service, to
issue WARNINGS TO DRESS WARMLY...

It is to weep...
--
Jay Honeck

The nanny state lives. Roadside signs are (at least to me), the most common
expression. E.G.: "Bridge May Ice in Winter", "Slippery when Wet". Who
knew???

Imagine the possibilities for signage. At the beach: "Don't look Directly
into the Sun.", "Sun Exposure causes Skin Cancer", "Danger: Water"...

The possibilities are endless. I think I'll start a sign business.

KB

Old January 28th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

Caution!
Don't read signs while driving.
Jim

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

oups.com...

Old January 28th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message . ..
:
:
: The possibilities are endless. I think I'll start a sign business.
:
: KB
:
:

Hurry!
http://www.buildasign.com/Customize....474D726938493D

Old January 28th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GrtArtiste

On Jan 28, 8:51 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
We (in the upper Midwest) are in the grips of some cold weather right
now. This is not surprising, since the last week of January is
statistically the coldest week of the year.

snip

It is to weep...

The "nanny attitude" is pervasive, isn't it? I get lots of snide
comments from co-workers because I routinely walk a short distance
from my car to the door of the office without a coat on (unless the
snow is blowing around). Every time I hear such as "where's your
coat?" or "you'll freeze to death" I wonder how humanity survived
thousands of years without any of what we consider "modern
necessities".

This reminded me of a PBS series from some years back called 1900
House

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/1900house/

in which a Brit family spent 3 months in a time warp. As I recall it
was hilarious to watch.

GrtArtiste