ASW 19 tail wheel

Old September 6th 16, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW 19 tail wheel

Roller blade wheels are available in sizes/diameter starting at 42mm (1.65") up to 150 mm (5.9") from

Www.inlinewarehouse.com

Good service and prices

Jim Callaway
Old September 6th 16, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 3:45:40 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Interesting about the built-in cup for a pneumatic wheel. I had no
idea! My '6 came with the white plastic wheel mounted in a steel cage
which was then bolted into the rubber skid/fairing thingie. The roller
blade wheel was of too large a diameter to fit into the cage so I
reduced it by mounting it on a mandrel and, using a file, cut it down to
size. I always wondered about its survivability since it was built for
skating speed, not 50 kts, but it didn't wear out in about 6 years of
flying the ship.

On 9/5/2016 2:11 PM, JS wrote:
When rollerblades came out, their wheels were considered an improvement over the standard white plastic tailskid wheels. Much less fragile.
Darnell also make (or at least used to make) quality load-rated caster wheels that fit those skids.
Either the 210x65 or 200x50 tailwheel mod is a huge improvement over the rollerblade or Darnell wheels.
Nylon, alloy or brass wheels are available for CG adjustment.

Since the LS6 was brought up, there is already a tailwheel cup inside the fuselage of even the A model. It's glassed over if the 210x65 tailwheel option wasn't ordered from the factory.
Jim

--
Dan, 5J

Mark Grubb found out after he manufactured a wheel cup and then opened the tail boom of 6046. I'd replaced the wheel a few times before going to a real wheel.
"DOH!"

If you install a fairing around the wheel, mind that the trailer wheel cup is filled enough to stop the gelcoat rubbing. Check the tow bar for rubbing too. Also make a notch in the fairing so you can inflate the tire without removing it.
Or use Schempp-Hirth's bolt-on fairing.
Jim
Old September 6th 16, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Why not just use the tail dolly when you tow the glider on the ground? I've flown my ASW-15B off a moderately rough grass field for over a dozen years and more than 700 hours with the rollerblade wheel equipped glue-on tailwheel I got from Eastern Sailplane back when I bought the ship and haven't had a single problem with it.
Old September 20th 16, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the hints. I ordered the tail wheel from GB flugebau. It's got here quickly, cost less than 1/2 the schleicher price and it appears to be more sturdy. You gotta love it!

ASW tail wheel Dan Mockler Soaring 8 July 31st 12 05:26 PM
ASW tail wheel Dan Mockler Soaring 0 July 28th 12 09:53 PM
Blanik Tail Wheel Roy Bourgeois Soaring 2 August 21st 07 12:56 PM
Brass tail wheel Solo Soaring 9 July 6th 07 04:18 PM
FS: Blanik L-13 Tail Skid & Tail Wheel Assembly Tim Hanke Soaring 0 February 8th 05 02:34 PM