Chicago area from the southwest - advice?

Old November 30th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Chad Speer

Default Chicago area from the southwest - advice?

We're visiting friends who live in downtown Chicago next weekend and
I'm considering a few airports for our visit. Aside from lamenting
about the murder of Meigs (which would have been perfect, of course) or
suggesting a boycott, can anyone offer suggestions as to the best field
and FBO for the visit? We're flying an Archer, so fees and service to
the little guy are of interest.

I've found some older threads on the subject suggesting Midway (sounds
fun), but the comments on each FBO are hit and miss, leaving me without
a clear choice. This is my first trip to Chicago, so I'm open to
suggestions. We have a ride, so I'd like to stay close to downtown for
their benefit, but ground transportation accessibility is no factor.

Also, any comments on the advantages of IFR and VFR in the area are
appreciated. I usually file IFR, but I have no desire to get the
guided tour. :-)

Nice to see so many of the old hands still on here. I've lurked for
many years but haven't posted in a very long time.

Chad Speer
PP-ASEL, IA
ATCS, Kansas City ARTCC

Old November 30th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

I have flown to Midway a few times in our club Archers. I found it to
be surprisingly easy. The controllers were very accomodating. We even
requested a downtown tour along the lakeshore. IFR is much easier than
VFR. If you are coming from the southwest, you will probably be cleared
to the MOTIF intersection and then radar vectored after that. From the
southeast I always got cleared to the Chicago Heights VOR. If you look
at the STARs that might give you some clues on where you might be
routed. But all my flights there were nearly a straightline to the
airport without much detours. I would recommend parking at Atlantic
Aviation. I had nothing but great service, including free rides to the
train stations and hotels.

Old November 30th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Suggestion...

Schaumburg, 06C, fly into Schaumburg Airport and either a rental car
with AVIS in Schaumburg (847) 330 2847 (tell them Patrick from Hawai'i
sent you) or you can jump on the Metra train which has a stop at the
Stadium adjacent to the airport, it can take you downtown for about 5
bucks one way, within the hour

Fly into Lewis University Airport (I don't remember the Identifier),
rent a car at the AVIS station thats inside the GA terminal.

The upsides are free parking (last time I was at either a year ago),
and one of the most top-notch FBOs in the US, from my experience. Also,
it's a lot nicer to fly out of a basic small airport than it is to deal
with an arrival at Midway, especially on your first trip when you're
unfarmiliar with the airspace.

Old November 30th 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Chad Speer

wrote:

*****
Suggestion...

Schaumburg, 06C, fly into Schaumburg Airport and either a rental car
with AVIS in Schaumburg (847) 330 2847 (tell them Patrick from Hawai'i
sent you) or you can jump on the Metra train which has a stop at the
Stadium adjacent to the airport, it can take you downtown for about 5
bucks one way, within the hour

Fly into Lewis University Airport (I don't remember the Identifier),
rent a car at the AVIS station thats inside the GA terminal.

The upsides are free parking (last time I was at either a year ago),
and one of the most top-notch FBOs in the US, from my experience. Also,
it's a lot nicer to fly out of a basic small airport than it is to deal
with an arrival at Midway, especially on your first trip when you're
unfarmiliar with the airspace.
*****

Thanks for the reply (and you too, Andrew). I had initially selected
Lewis University Airport (KLOT) as my destination until I realized that
Google Maps was showing "Lincoln Park, IL" much further to the
southwest than it is. Once I entered an address, it was correctly
displayed. Strange and a little confusing. :-) I had hoped to avoid
a long drive for our hosts to pick us up, not knowing how bad traffic
would be.

Maybe an additional question should have been "How much hassle is
Chicago traffic on the weekend for a visitor?" I'd love to rent a car
if I can actually get around to some of the interesting places without
much hassle.

I just looked more closely at KLOT on a road map. Maybe I should land
here since I can jump out of my Archer and take Archer Ave from the
airport to downtown. ;-)

Now, I'm definitely hoping to take a lake shore tour in the plane. It
sounds ironically easy now that Meigs is closed. So much for security.
Any helpful tips or local procedures for the tour?

Chad Speer
PP-ASEL, IA
ATCS, Kansas City ARTCC

Old November 30th 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Jay Beckman

*****

Thanks for the reply (and you too, Andrew). I had initially selected
Lewis University Airport (KLOT) as my destination until I realized that
Google Maps was showing "Lincoln Park, IL" much further to the
southwest than it is. Once I entered an address, it was correctly
displayed. Strange and a little confusing. :-) I had hoped to avoid
a long drive for our hosts to pick us up, not knowing how bad traffic
would be.

Maybe an additional question should have been "How much hassle is
Chicago traffic on the weekend for a visitor?" I'd love to rent a car
if I can actually get around to some of the interesting places without
much hassle.

I've not flown into the Chicagoland area .. but I've driven there a lot.
Chicago freeway traffic can be some of the worst you'll ever see in the USA.

Picture your typical rush hour crush in most major cities (excepting LA or
NY) and this is what is normal for about 20 hours a day around the Chigago
area. Now add another 40% more cars and then you have actual rush hour in
Chicago. No lie, I've had it take over two hours to go from the Loop out to
O'Hare...at 430 in the morning!!! Using the major surface streets can
actually work better if you are going from point a to point b and don't mind
altering your route at will.

The suggestion offered regarding using the train to downtown is a good one,
IMO but whatever means you use to get downtown, Chicago is actually a pretty
good walking city. Michigan Ave, along the lake (the Gold Coast), Rush
Street area, all are fun to just meander around on foot.

Good luck with your trip...

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old November 30th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
tscottme

weekend traffic in Chicago is seldom worth avoiding except when there is
some special event like a pro sports game, snowstorm, etc. The extensive
roads aren't big enough for daily rush hour traffic, they have ample
capacity otherwise.

--

Scott

Old November 30th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Weekends never were too bad from what I remember, Archer Ave. into
downtown would be a bad move though... for travel time you always take
a freeway there... if you want to be close to the rental place go to
Lewis, if you don't mind a 5 minute drive after getting picked up at
the airport go to Schaumburg, AVIS will come pick you up (their number
is (847) 330 2847, and the manager is named Barb, she's a good friend
of mine and when she came here to Hawai'i on her Honeymoon I flew and
her new husband around the islands, if you tell her I sent you she
should take good care of you), also the drive into downtown Chicago
from Schaumburg is very quick (20 minutes), from Romeoville (Lewis U)
it's over an hour, not only that but 06C has 100000% better planning
facilities.

It really depends on how quickly you want ot be behind the wheel of a
car, but all around Schaumburg is a better place, plus when you want to
hit the lakefront getting into the I-290 corridor (Class B corridor
between O'hare and Midway), and the only way to "break through" to the
lakefront, is a 8 nautical mile flight, from Lewis it's about 20 since
you have to make a big circle.

Old November 30th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Jay Honeck

Picture your typical rush hour crush in most major cities (excepting LA or
NY) and this is what is normal for about 20 hours a day around the Chigago
area. Now add another 40% more cars and then you have actual rush hour in
Chicago. No lie, I've had it take over two hours to go from the Loop out to
O'Hare...at 430 in the morning!!! Using the major surface streets can
actually work better if you are going from point a to point b and don't mind
altering your route at will.

Jay, you forgot to add the following:

"Now picture stopping all 16 lanes of traffic every few miles to
collect a few coins from each car, causing epic traffic back-ups,
rather than simply increasing the local gas tax a penny."

And also:

"Now imagine that the occupants of this same city seem to enjoy arguing
about, and are simply baffled by, the "causes" of their traffic woes."

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
(Former Chicago Tribune Employee)

Old November 30th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Chad Speer wrote:
We're visiting friends who live in downtown Chicago next weekend and
I'm considering a few airports for our visit. Aside from lamenting
about the murder of Meigs (which would have been perfect, of course) or
suggesting a boycott, can anyone offer suggestions as to the best field
and FBO for the visit? We're flying an Archer, so fees and service to
the little guy are of interest.

Actually, as smelly as it sounds, Gary, IN has always been good
to us. Coming from the East it's the last thing before you
hit the big city. We've stopped their for fuel a few times
and have taken their courtesy car over to lunch (they have a
whole list of restaurants they give you with directions).
It's relatively easy to get into Chicago proper from there.
Old November 30th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

"Jay Beckman" wrote in
:

[...]

I can tell you unequivocably that Chicago traffic is worse than NY traffic.
NY traffic is pretty tame - North-South traffic is really not all that bad,
it's just getting across town that sucks.

Chicago traffic sucks in every direction. I'd compare it to Washington DC
traffic, where yesterday it took us an hour to go 1.8 miles.

Public transportation is the way to go...