Tom Lanphier: Biggest LIAR in U.S. Military History

Old July 19th 04, 12:47 AM
CHP52659

Default Tom Lanphier: Biggest LIAR in U.S. Military History

Tom Lanphier is still considered the BIGGEST LIAR in all of U.S. Military
History. He is still no less than scum and a total disgrace to this GREAT
country.
Old July 19th 04, 01:11 AM
Krztalizer

There are a lot of folks that believe him over Rex Barber, although I can't
imagine why. The simplist way to prove who is a liar is to look through the
Time/Life books on air combat: they have a two page spread devoted to
Lamphier's "story", accompanied by several photographs of Admiral Yamamoto's
Betty laying in the jungle that absolutely refute his claims!

I know a lot of people think Lanphier should be given credit, but his own claim
of "sawing off the wing of the bomber, causing it to roll over and crash into
the jungle and explode" just plain doesn't match what happened to Iso's Betty.

Col. Rex Barber was the finest man I have known, and one of the men most
deserving of the MoH.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Its always better to lose -an- engine, not -the- engine.

Old July 19th 04, 01:38 AM
BlakeleyTB

I agree that Lanphier is the biggest fabricator ( liar ) of the Yamamoto
shoot-down....even the Zero pilot who was there, backs up Rex doing the
shoot-down...and this guy is an unbiased witness.

Col. Rex Barber was the finest man I have known, and one of the men most
deserving of the MoH.

AMEN!!!!!
Old July 20th 04, 05:59 AM
Tom Cervo

If he believed it's true, he's not lying--and since the proportion of claims to
actual, verifiable Japanese losses is something like 3 or 4 to 1, he has a lot
of company.
Old July 20th 04, 03:51 PM
Krztalizer

If he believed it's true, he's not lying--and since the proportion of claims
actual, verifiable Japanese losses is something like 3 or 4 to 1, he has a
lot
of company.

This is different, Tom. Lanphier took credit for a bomber that never existed.
He could not have attacked -any- Betty in the manner he described, simply
because by his own statement, he was up dealing with the escorts while Rex was
trading shots with the Admiral's bomber. Since the only other Betty within
the airspace was out over water, simply put, there was no Betty for Tom L. to
attack. Its not as if Rex attacked then broke away, leaving the Betty alive
long enough for Lanphier to make an attack - Rex slid in between the escorts
and the Betty's 20mm tail gun and blasted away until it bellied into the
jungle. It doesn't leave any room for Lanphier to even make an attack. Yet
when he landed, he insisted "I got the Admiral's plane!"

That, in my opinion, discounts any post flight analysis that might give him any
credit for something he did not do.

Old January 14th 13, 05:35 AM
Fallijay Fallijay is offline
Junior Member

What happened to Ray Hine?????

Baltimore Sun investigation: Abuse goes far beyond the military police GrPrtrd8 Military Aviation 0 May 11th 04 06:05 AM
Showstoppers (long, but interesting questions raised) Anonymous Spamless Military Aviation 0 April 21st 04 05:09 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 05:26 PM
Updated List of Military Information-Exchange Forums Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 December 29th 03 03:20 AM
List of News, Discussion and Info Exchange forums Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 November 14th 03 06:01 AM