Connecting enroute to approach charts

Old December 1st 05, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Connecting enroute to approach charts

I'm going VNY-LAS. DUATS auto routing came up with a route that ends
at OASYS on V394. Trick is, OASYS is not an IAF for any approach into
LAS as far as I can tell. What should I do if I lose comm?

A related question: some approaches into LAS have IAFs that I can't find
on the enroute chart (e.g. SKEBR on the RWY1 RNAV approaches). How
would you ever get to SKEBR?

In general, how are approach plates supposed to hook up to the enroute
structure? I thought all the IAFs were supposed to appear on the
enroute charts, but they seem not to.

Thanks,
rg
Old December 1st 05, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Ron Garret wrote:
I'm going VNY-LAS. DUATS auto routing came up with a route that ends
at OASYS on V394. Trick is, OASYS is not an IAF for any approach into
LAS as far as I can tell. What should I do if I lose comm?

A related question: some approaches into LAS have IAFs that I can't find
on the enroute chart (e.g. SKEBR on the RWY1 RNAV approaches). How
would you ever get to SKEBR?

In general, how are approach plates supposed to hook up to the enroute
structure? I thought all the IAFs were supposed to appear on the
enroute charts, but they seem not to.

SKEBR is supposed to be on an airway. That doesn't mean it has to
appear on the enroute chart though. It should be apparent if you
construct the IAP on a moving map
Old December 1st 05, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Ron Garret" wrote in message
A related question: some approaches into LAS have IAFs that I can't find
on the enroute chart (e.g. SKEBR on the RWY1 RNAV approaches). How
would you ever get to SKEBR?

SKEBR shows on the CLARR TWO arrival and the KEPEC ONE arrival.

Kris

Old December 1st 05, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

A related question: some approaches into LAS have IAFs that I can't find
on the enroute chart (e.g. SKEBR on the RWY1 RNAV approaches). How
would you ever get to SKEBR?

You punch S-K-E-B-R into your RNAV unit (GPS)?

Old December 1st 05, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article .com,
"John Clonts" wrote:

A related question: some approaches into LAS have IAFs that I can't find
on the enroute chart (e.g. SKEBR on the RWY1 RNAV approaches). How
would you ever get to SKEBR?

You punch S-K-E-B-R into your RNAV unit (GPS)?

OK, I guess I should not chosen a GPS approach for the example.

Suppose I don't have a GPS, and I want to fly the VOR/DME-A
(http://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0512/00662VDA.PDF). The IAF is KACCY, which
doesn't appear on the enroute chart and is not on any airway, and
doesn't have a feeder route. How do I get there?

rg
Old December 1st 05, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 12/1/2005 08:45, Ron Garret wrote:

In article .com,
"John Clonts" wrote:

A related question: some approaches into LAS have IAFs that I can't find
on the enroute chart (e.g. SKEBR on the RWY1 RNAV approaches). How
would you ever get to SKEBR?

You punch S-K-E-B-R into your RNAV unit (GPS)?

OK, I guess I should not chosen a GPS approach for the example.

Suppose I don't have a GPS, and I want to fly the VOR/DME-A
(http://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0512/00662VDA.PDF). The IAF is KACCY, which
doesn't appear on the enroute chart and is not on any airway, and
doesn't have a feeder route. How do I get there?

rg

KACCY is on a feeder route. Have a look at Boulder City VOR (BLD).
The line running from there to KACCY intersection along BLD R-225
is a feeder route (it has the three prerequisites: Altitude (7100),
distance (21.7) and direction (225 deg).

I don't have the enroute chart, but is Boulder City VOR not on it?

Sacramento, CA
Old December 1st 05, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Suppose I don't have a GPS, and I want to fly the VOR/DME-A
(http://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0512/00662VDA.PDF). The IAF is KACCY, which
doesn't appear on the enroute chart and is not on any airway, and doesn't
have a feeder route. How do I get there?

rg

KACCY is on a feeder route. Have a look at Boulder City VOR (BLD).
The line running from there to KACCY intersection along BLD R-225
is a feeder route (it has the three prerequisites: Altitude (7100),
distance (21.7) and direction (225 deg).

I don't have the enroute chart, but is Boulder City VOR not on it?

Sacramento, CA

The VOR/DME-A also shows a transition from LAS to KACCY, 7100', 180 deg.,
16.5 miles

Kris

Old December 1st 05, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article ,
"Kris Kortokrax" wrote:

Suppose I don't have a GPS, and I want to fly the VOR/DME-A
(http://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0512/00662VDA.PDF). The IAF is KACCY, which
doesn't appear on the enroute chart and is not on any airway, and doesn't
have a feeder route. How do I get there?

rg

KACCY is on a feeder route. Have a look at Boulder City VOR (BLD).
The line running from there to KACCY intersection along BLD R-225
is a feeder route (it has the three prerequisites: Altitude (7100),
distance (21.7) and direction (225 deg).

Ah, so it is. I was looking at the other end of the arrow, and it was a
thin line so I assumed it was just a radial for identifying KACCY.

The VOR/DME-A also shows a transition from LAS to KACCY, 7100', 180 deg.,
16.5 miles

Ah, I see. Thanks!

OK, this is all starting to make more sense now.

rg
Old December 1st 05, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 12/1/2005 10:19, Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
"Kris Kortokrax" wrote:

Suppose I don't have a GPS, and I want to fly the VOR/DME-A
(http://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0512/00662VDA.PDF). The IAF is KACCY, which
doesn't appear on the enroute chart and is not on any airway, and doesn't
have a feeder route. How do I get there?

rg

KACCY is on a feeder route. Have a look at Boulder City VOR (BLD).
The line running from there to KACCY intersection along BLD R-225
is a feeder route (it has the three prerequisites: Altitude (7100),
distance (21.7) and direction (225 deg).

Ah, so it is. I was looking at the other end of the arrow, and it was a
thin line so I assumed it was just a radial for identifying KACCY.

This is a lot easier to see on the Jeppesen charts. The difference between
the three types of lines is much more pronounced. They really are thin,
medium and thick ;-)

You can see that the first part of the line running from BLD is heaver,
up to the first arrow (which is just outside the 10NM ring).

If you are having a hard time seeing this on the PDF version, try increasing
the magnification. It becomes clearer then.

Old December 1st 05, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I'm going VNY-LAS. DUATS auto routing came up with a route that ends
at OASYS on V394. Trick is, OASYS is not an IAF for any approach into
LAS as far as I can tell. What should I do if I lose comm?

Comm loss is covered in the AIM Chapter 6 Section 4.
Please see the link below

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/aim/Chap6/aim0604.html#6-4-2