Inadvertant PTT - Where do you put your hand?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 16th 11, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Default Inadvertant PTT - Where do you put your hand?

I saw this item in another thread and found it interesting.

Do you actually tow with your hand on the release? What happens at
100 feet when you hit a good bump and accidentally release?

I have had exactly one PTT (premature termination of tow) at about 3
feet AGL when I had my hand on the release handle and hit a bump.
This was in a 1-34 and the release was very sensitive.

My other issue is getting to the release handle on my glass glider
where the handle is about at the limit of my fingertips. As I have a
CG hook I am concerned about ballooning on tow (happened to a friend
of mine and it didn't end well). So I worry that during a high-g
event I might not be able to reach the release handle.

What I now use is a LOOSE lanyard between the release and my wrist.
LOOSE so that I don't PTT during a bump. Attached to my wrist so that
no matter what I will be able to pull the release. BTW: I don't use
the lanyard for a normal tow release.

Finally - others keep their hand on the airbrake handle to prevent the
brakes opening on tow. Generally, you can have your hand on the
release *OR* the brakes but not both (unless you fly with your
knees). With my lanyard approach I can effectively have my hand on
both handles. You can see a picture of my simple lanyard at
http://aviation.derosaweb.net/lanyard.

My $0.02. Your thoughts?

Thanks, John DeRosa

Hand Propping_Adult - Fw_ Hand Propping.eml Ducky[_3_] Aviation Photos 2 June 6th 08 02:27 AM
Inadvertant IMC Ol Shy & Bashful Piloting 12 May 26th 08 02:03 PM
Hand off... Denny Piloting 5 December 5th 05 06:00 PM
Trailer hitch inadvertant disconnect Bill Daniels Soaring 5 July 16th 04 03:17 AM
The Underhanded Hand-Over X98 Military Aviation 4 June 29th 04 11:46 AM