Registering Trailer In California

Old June 29th 04, 11:37 PM
Brian Iten

Default Registering Trailer In California

I will be taking possession of a used glider and trailer
this weekend and have a question to anyone that has
done this in California. The trailer that I am receiving
has a plate and registration issued in Nevada. I will
be registering it in California. Will I need to take
the trailer to AAA or the DMV to have them verify the
numbers?
I know the state is going to want some money from me
and they will probably ask the value of the trailer.
Any thoughts on a dollar amount I should give? It is
a mid 90's Cobra.
Thanks
Brian

Old June 30th 04, 12:06 AM
BTIZ

we just went through this.. a trailer from CA to NV..
get a separate bill of sale for the trailer.. and title if it exists..
I expect that you will have to take it to CA DMV or other verifying agency
to verify the trailer numbers and that is road worthy according to CA
rules.. proper lights , side marker lights etc

BT

Old June 30th 04, 01:25 AM
Brian Iten

What do I need to put down for a purchase price? I
always thought that a trailer was just part of the
deal. Or in other words, the hanger is coming with
the aircraft or the other way around. I was afraid
to hear that I would need to take it to the DMV or
AAA for verification.......

Old June 30th 04, 02:35 AM
BTIZ

Brian... if you put down the full purchase price of the glider and trailer
on the trailer invoice.. you will be paying full taxes for the trailer on
the total sale amount. Granted the State Of Taxifornia will tax you also on
the glider. But keep in mind that some recurring registration fees are based
on "value".

Get two sales slips, one for the trailer and one for the glider, any
reasonable amount for the trailer will work.. $500.. $1000 or so.

Also, some people keep their trailer insurance separate from the glider
insurance, and some don't. If you have an accident with the glider and the
insurance company totals the glider, they also take the trailer if it is
listed in the glider policy. Some people just insure the glider, and list
the trailer under their homeowners or auto insurance policy. Total the
glider and at least you have an empty trailer to put something else into or
sell to recoup some dollars.

JMHO
BT

Old June 30th 04, 03:04 AM
Greg Arnold

BTIZ wrote:

Brian... if you put down the full purchase price of the glider and trailer
on the trailer invoice.. you will be paying full taxes for the trailer on
the total sale amount. Granted the State Of Taxifornia will tax you also on
the glider. But keep in mind that some recurring registration fees are based
on "value".

In Calif, your fees are the initial registration for the trailer (which
includes sales tax), and annual property taxes on the glider. No sales
tax on used gliders in Cal, and no recurring trailer registration except
$10 every few years.

Get two sales slips, one for the trailer and one for the glider, any
reasonable amount for the trailer will work.. $500.. $1000 or so.

The less you allocate to the trailer, the more you will allocate to the
glider. So you save on up-front sales tax on the trailer, but will pay
more property tax each year. And to the extent you give an inaccurate
value (e.g., $500 for a Cobra in great condition) you may be committing
perjury.

I would suppose that Brian's Cobra trailer (mid 1990's) is worth $8,000
or so. I recently gave the DMV a $6,000 value for a 1987 Cobra trailer.

Also, some people keep their trailer insurance separate from the glider
insurance, and some don't. If you have an accident with the glider and the
insurance company totals the glider, they also take the trailer if it is
listed in the glider policy. Some people just insure the glider, and list
the trailer under their homeowners or auto insurance policy. Total the
glider and at least you have an empty trailer to put something else into or
sell to recoup some dollars.

Are you sure they would take the trailer? I pay $x for $y of glider
coverage, and $a for $b of trailer coverage. My understanding is that
these are two separate coverages. Similar to the idea that if I wreck
my car, they won't also take my wife's car which is on the same policy.

Also, I don't know why the insurance company would want to take the
trailer, since they would have to pay out its insured value. Unless
the trailer is underinsured, the insurance company gains nothing.

Old June 30th 04, 03:20 AM
BTIZ

thanx Greg...

"Greg Arnold" wrote in message
BTIZ wrote:
[...]

All I can say is, it has happened unto others...
BT

Old July 1st 04, 11:56 AM
JohnD

Brian,
Just went through this last year. The DMV part was no big deal. Be
sure Heinz gives you the trailer documentation. You will need
something that says where it was manufactured. (I think the DMV calls
it a Certificate of Manufacture?). Get an appointment for the
paperwork side and then drive it through for the inspection if they
ask for one, they may not with your Nev. plates. Be sure you know
where the ID plate is on the trailer.

I had problems with AAA doing this. They said they wouldn't process
paperwork or inspect something man. out of the country. But that may
have been a problem with one office manager. Your NV plates SHOULD
even make this easier.

BTW: Congrats on your new ship. When last I saw it at Parowan it was
pristine. Heinz really knows how to take care of things.

Have fun.

Old July 1st 04, 04:12 PM
Raphael Warshaw

My biggest problem was convincing the DMV that Lithuania was a
country, not a town in Ohio. Had to go up through two levels of
supervision to straighten that one out. After that, it was a
cakewalk. The inspector walked out to the curb, looked left and right
(total time 15 sec.), and walked back in.

It's registered as a "Sport" carrier, the clerk's best stab at
SPORTINE AVIACIJA. I chose not to wait through the line again for a
correction.

BTW: All the lettering on the ID plate except for the SN which was
stamped into the metal, came off in the first washing. Might not be
so easy for the next owner.

Ray Warshaw
1LK
Old July 1st 04, 05:45 PM
Greg Arnold

JohnD wrote:

Brian,
Just went through this last year. The DMV part was no big deal. Be
sure Heinz gives you the trailer documentation. You will need
something that says where it was manufactured. (I think the DMV calls
it a Certificate of Manufacture?).

You may need that for a new trailer just imported, but if the trailer is
already registered in another state, all you need is the registration
and a bill of sale.