TCAS like options

Old June 15th 05, 01:25 AM
Michelle P

Default TCAS like options

Hi all,
I had a close call last week while flying traffic.
I am now looking at portable traffic warning systems. I looked through
the back articles of Aviation COnsumer and could only find a review on
one. the Sure Check....
What else is available and anyone have any experience with them?
Thanks,
Michelle

Old June 15th 05, 06:38 AM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-06-15, Michelle P wrote:
I had a close call last week while flying traffic.

Would you have seen them if someone had said, "hey, there's a plane
nearby"? That's about all the portable units can do for you.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old June 15th 05, 12:19 PM
BillJ

Michelle P wrote:
Hi all,
I had a close call last week while flying traffic.
I am now looking at portable traffic warning systems. I looked through
the back articles of Aviation COnsumer and could only find a review on
one. the Sure Check....
What else is available and anyone have any experience with them?
Thanks,
Michelle

I have a Monroy ATD200 like new. Does a good job in keeping you alert in
busy areas.
Old June 15th 05, 07:26 PM

BillJ wrote:

I have a Monroy ATD200 like new. Does a good job in keeping you alert in
busy areas.

I don't agree. I've flown a plane with a Monroy in busy airspace
(under a class B shelf with lots of surrounding GA fields) and its
nearly constant alarms made in next to useless. On the other hand, I
thought it worked great out in less populated areas, particularly
around VORs and other places in the sticks where airplanes tend to
meet.

The best TCAS-like solution I've seen for busy areas is the radar
traffic (TIS) data available with a Mode/S transponder. The only
drawback is that you have to pony up for the Mode/S transponder and a
compatible display device. Still a lot cheaper that an actual TCAS.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old June 15th 05, 08:31 PM
Peter R.

TIS demonstrated it's worth to me in the first ten minutes I flew with
it. I departed from the radio shop on a hazy day and even though I
was getting flight following the thing showed an approaching aircraft
at my altitude.

I am very happy with my TIS as well, especially in the very hazy
weather in the northeast US. I have a Garmin GTX 330 transponder that
feeds its traffic data to both a GNS430 and an MX-20 moving map.

After almost one year of flying with it, the only two complaints about
TIS that I have are the relatively limited coverage areas outside of
the northeast coastal megalopolis and the inability to adjust the
volume of the lady's voice that states, "Traffic Unavailable!"
Inevitably this alert always comes on just as I am about to touch down
at my home airport and it still startles me.

--
Peter

Old June 15th 05, 11:30 PM
Michelle P

Ben,
Most likely yes. I was talking to Potomac ATC but not receiving any
advisories. I just want to know if the airplane is in front of me or
behind me and at what altitude.
Michelle

Old June 16th 05, 01:42 AM
Doug Vetter

Peter R. wrote:
snip
After almost one year of flying with it, the only two complaints about
TIS that I have are the relatively limited coverage areas outside of
the northeast coastal megalopolis and the inability to adjust the
volume of the lady's voice that states, "Traffic Unavailable!"
Inevitably this alert always comes on just as I am about to touch down
at my home airport and it still startles me.

Peter,

Can't help you with the coverage issue (complain to the FAA), but the
voice type and volume are, in fact, configurable. This is not an "in
flight" procedure, however -- it's a "set and forget" via the unit's
configuration pages which are accessible via special key combination
during power-up. If you want to occasionally mute the audio, you need
to have your avionics shop route it through a switched input on your
audio panel.

I wrote an article about the GTX330 that you may find helpful. Go to my
site and click through:

Aviation - Articles - Maintenance - Avionics 2004

Scroll down to the bottom and look for the sidebar. It contains a link
to a document that explains how to access the unit's configuration pages.

Please read the disclaimer thoroughly before downloading the file. I'm
not kidding. If you screw the pooch, call your avionics tech. Don't
email me about it or expect me to pay to fix your mistake.

Also, please do not post a direct link to the file in UseNet. I provide
the link description above for a reason. Thanks.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------
Old June 16th 05, 02:57 AM
Peter R.

Doug Vetter wrote:

Can't help you with the coverage issue (complain to the FAA), but the
voice type and volume are, in fact, configurable. This is not an "in
flight" procedure, however -- it's a "set and forget" via the unit's
configuration pages which are accessible via special key combination
during power-up.

Doug, thank you very much for the excellent information. Let me be just a
little bit more honest and admit that over the phone last July I discussed
the configuration options with Lancaster Avionics, the group who installed
my GTX330.

I should have expanded on my statement that it would be nice to be able to
control the volume for each message separately. IMO, the "Traffic" alert
volume level is acceptable at which it is currently set, but that annoying
"Traffic Not Available" message, which is set to the same volume level, is
just too loud! IMO, the two alerts are completely different priorities
and therefore should be different volumes.

But, your information may convince me to bring down the global volume level
of these messages a notch or two.

If you want to occasionally mute the audio, you need
to have your avionics shop route it through a switched input on your
audio panel.

Now that is an excellent idea and something that I and LA never thought to
do. If I ever face a large avionics modification again (maybe someday
GNS430 WAAS-enabled???) this will be something I add to the order.

I wrote an article about the GTX330 that you may find helpful. Go to my
site and click through:

snip

Absolutely excellent website you have there! Not only will I read this
article, I will be sure to set aside more time to explore the rest of your
site.

Please read the disclaimer thoroughly before downloading the file. I'm
not kidding. If you screw the pooch, call your avionics tech. Don't
email me about it or expect me to pay to fix your mistake.

Doug, please take solace in the fact that I am someone who still takes
complete responsibility for my own actions. Of course, I cannot vouch for
anyone else who reads your post here so I certainly understand your
disclaimer.

Also, please do not post a direct link to the file in UseNet. I provide
the link description above for a reason. Thanks.

Wilco.

--
Peter

Options [email protected] Soaring 32 March 14th 05 05:33 PM
Showstoppers (long, but interesting questions raised) Anonymous Spamless Military Aviation 0 April 21st 04 05:09 AM
New Army Aviation Options? Thomas Schoene Military Aviation 22 February 29th 04 09:51 PM
Options in Summer of '45 Matt Wiser Military Aviation 0 December 24th 03 04:15 PM
Small Blue Planet Toys goes Postal !! Economy Shipping Options now availalble Small Blue Planet Toys Aviation Marketplace 0 July 11th 03 04:00 PM